Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Name Nazis
  • ScottChegg
    Free Member

What is wrong with some parents?

I’ve had two kids parties over the weekend. Each featured a parent who objected to any deviation from the given name of their spawn.

I called to one kid ‘Timmy’, and got a snotty baggage saying his correct mode of address was ‘Timothy’. This was not helped by another Dad picking up on this and referring to him as Tim, Timmy, Timbo, Timster, Dr Timmington etc to even more lip pursing from the crone.

The next day my wife called a kid ‘Charlotte’ as that seemed to be her name. Oh no, “Charlotte-May” was the only way she should be addressed and were people too stupid to realise this?

No birthday cake for you, missus.

If you give your children a lumpen gobful of a handle, expect shortcuts to be taken.

And relax….

SaxonRider

The funny thing is that one of my boys actually gets called by a shortened form of his name at home, but when I picked him up at a birthday party last week, found that everyone there was calling him by his full name.

Stevet1
    Free Member

This was not helped by another Dad picking up on this and referring to him as Tim, Timmy, Timbo, Timster, Dr Timmington etc to even more lip pursing from the crone.

snigger

BillOddie

I think someone correcting me would just encourage me to shorten their sprogs name to something daft.

That being said, some people shorten my youngest’s name to Dyl from Dylan, which does feel a little lazy. C’mon it’s 2 syllables! Plus he doesn’t answer to Dyl…he just ignores you.

canopy
    Free Member

bunch of stuck up twunts, ignore em.

jam-bo

most people lengthen my boy’s name. and he’ll correct them himself.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That being said, some people shorten my youngest’s name to Dyl from Dylan,

It’s more likely they are shortening it to Dill, but i wouldn’t get into a …

you can guess the rest

perchypanther
    Free Member

Name Nazis

Adi.

Hermy.

Joey.

Heiny.

BillOddie

It’s more likely they are shortening it to Dill, but i wouldn’t get into a …

😀

ninfan
    Free Member

his correct mode of address was ‘Timothy’.

To which you hopefully replied “Sorry mother” 😀

Nico
    Free Member

You tell ’em eggy. It’s the only language nazis understand.

GrahamS

but i wouldn’t get into a …

Dough?

Oh.. ah.. “pickle” yes.. pickle.. sorry..

DezB
    Free Member

I remember the headmaster shouting at my older brother in school assembly, but using the long version of his name, which is not what he’s called… so my brother ignored him… this headmaster was a cane weilding psychopath, so that took balls. My big bro was harder than I thought 😀

ScottChegg
    Free Member

And the girl had a look of weary acceptance, like she’d been present at this speech many times, and she didn’t really want to hear it again…

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I am told, one of the reasons m :roll:y mum picked “Paul” as my name so that people couldn’t shorten it.

My uni mates call me, “P”.

My wife calls me, “PP”

🙄

wwaswas

“So I was just having a chat with Timmy and showing him my badge…”

“Timothy! It’s Timothy!”

tjagain

I object to anyone shortening my name. I just don’t like it. Your name is your own – you decide what people call you. YOu can either address me by my full first name or my family name – but no title either please.

So its either “Jeremy” or “tandem” No “Jezza” and no “mr Tandem” please.

Its simple respect.

slowoldman

Charlotte-May

Oh I had a grown man whinge at work because I only used the first part of his hyphenated handle.
    He didn’t hear what I called him as I walked away.

jam-bo

ok tj. 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

Both of my sons have names which are commonly shortened but we knew this when we picked the names and it doesn’t really bother us.*

We always use the full versions and the boys will themselves instantly correct anyone who shortens them ….. teachers, friends , sports coaches, anyone …..except each other.

At home they constantly refer to each other by the short versions but won’t allow anyone else to.

Kids can be weird sometimes.

*Does really annoy me when people constantly misspell the youngest one’s name though. Every single time.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Teej – Should change your username to give people a steer on this maybe?

perchypanther
    Free Member

My wife calls me, “PP”

Yeah, your wife calls me that too. 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

tjagain, shouldn’t it be Mr Jeremy, as your name is Tandem Jeremy? 😆
    If im going to abbreviate people’s names nowadays, I usually ask them how they prefer to be named. Its less presumptuous and tends to minimise any upset.

tjagain

handy – what to “mrpickycallmebymyrealnameorelse”

core

I have a mate who uses a shortened/alternative version of his name, every profile and account he has uses this, he introduces himself as that, and it’s what he’s known as.

His parents don’t like it and insist on the original, fair enough. However his girlfriend, who I have no doubt was introduced with the short version also insists on calling him the same. Odd.

Only the NHS use my full first name, I’ve never been called it in anything other than jest by any of my family.

I know someone who went to a ‘do’ a few years ago, saw someone they deal with regularly and know well, who is called Jamie. They exhanged pleasantries, then a bit after he made a point of saying to them that when out he should be called James. He’d have got “**** off Jamie” in response from me.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Mr T – I like that, so yes.

karlsbug
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered why people insist on calling me Dick, I mean my name isn’t even Richard. 😐

slowoldman

Can I call you “Eddie Baby”?

frankconway

My ex and I wanted our 3 to be called by their full first names; fat chance – the minute they went to play/
    pre school etc we had no control so they are all referred to by their shortened first names.
    By everyone except the ex and I who still call two of them by their full first names.
    I would like to think that parents have bigger things to be concerned about than whether or not their children get the full name.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

My wife calls me, “PP”
    Yeah, your wife calls me that too

how strange! She calls me “tiny PP”

ChrisL

I was even more literal minded as a child than I am now, so when I was little I was pretty insistent that people called me Christopher – that was my name, after all, not Chris. I eventually got over this, and these days most know me as Chris, but the long form appears to have stuck with my parents, and because of that it’s been picked up by my niece and nephew too.

GrahamS

I have a mate who uses a shortened/alternative version of his name, every profile and account he has uses this, he introduces himself as that, and it’s what he’s known as.

I have a brother-in-law called Mark. That’s what he calls himself at work and home.

I’d known him for over a decade before I found out, at his wedding, that his name is actually Alan.

bigblackshed

My boys have names that would be hard to shorten, although some people try. The Wife and I both have our names shortened by everyone. The Wife’s is often spelled incorrectly.

To mates, work colleagues, casual acquaintances, I’m known by my shortened surname. Except those people I’ve met through a couple of forums, where by I’m known as “Shed”

🙄

RobHilton
    Free Member

family name – but no title either please.

If anyone refers to me as “Hilton” (as they used to at school) I assume they are addressing my entire family, for whom I cannot vouch, so ignore them.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

When I give my middle name out, I often have to spell it as it’s really a surname. The number of times I’m asked whether I’ve got it right is quite unbelievable. 😀

Cougar

I always figured it’d be a good idea to name kids with longer names that can be shortened in a variety of ways, then it gives them options to choose one they like as they get older.

But I don’t have kids, so what do I know.

Northwind

TBH I think it’s your name, the only person who gets to have an opinion on what you should be called is you. If you don’t own your name what do you own? But it’s tricky when it’s parents.

(I have a mate called Dave. He is absolutely, 100%, a David- he’s polite, quietly spoken, serious and considered, everything a Dave is not. He even looks quite a bit like David Schwimmer. But he wants to be called Dave so I call him Dave.)

franksinatra

Whatever, Jezza.

My MiL is a horrible person. She worked in admin in a hospital and wrote a letter of complaint to a surgeon, who she had only ever met once, because he called her Caroline instead of Carolyn. She strung the letter out to 4 pages and was awfully pleased with herself. She never did get a reply 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

When I give my middle name out, I often have to spell it as it’s really a surname

Imagine what it was like for this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clough_Williams-Ellis

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The only time I get called by my full name ever is when a) I’m about to be told off, or b) when it’s my mother talking to me.

Actually, thinking about it, much like when I’m addressing the baby breathe.

But yes, “His name is Alexander” was annoying for a while with a mate. After a few years I think he just resigned himself to people calling the kid Alex

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Name Nazis’ is closed to new replies.