Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • My Whyte T129s
  • boloclips
    Free Member

Just out for a nice sunday ride and this happened, very gutted!!
    [IMG]http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s481/boloclips/SAM_0349.jpg[/IMG][/URL]]null

singlecrack
    Free Member

Warrenty ???

boloclips
    Free Member

Will be phoning the bke shop 1st thing in the morning.. even if they sort it i guess it wont be ready to ride for a few weeks.. very annoying!!

robbieh
    Free Member

Should be a replacement bike surely, good luck.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Tbh it’ll prob be a new rear end …..if they have any …

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Are you in Ulverston?

Just chatting to Dave in DC Cycles and heard of something very similar if not (since I have the “other” T129S in the town).

boloclips
    Free Member

No capt.. Im near Bath.. That could be 2 snaped frames then!! not good

Creg

Thats the T129 scratched off my “potential purchase” list 😯

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

This is a worry Boloclips. I am a big lad and am getting concerned!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Though to be fair, that is only 2 I have heard of so far – it is just that they have both gone in the exact same place.

Funny enough – they also both have Stans rims on them…. perhaps that is the cause 😉

corsair
    Free Member

This is a worry Boloclips. I am a big lad and am getting concerned!

Me too! I have the Works, but AFAIK it’s the same frame. Sorry to see yours like that Boloclips. 😐

How old is the bike? What sort of riding do you do? Just trying to work out how soon mine’s going to explode.

[wanders off to inspect frame…]

Northwind

Oh that’s no good. Whytes are great when they work… And their customer service is great when they have the parts…

somouk
    Free Member

Oh dear, that’s the Whyte off my shopping list!

boloclips
    Free Member

corsair.
    The bike is 6 months old. and I ride local trails & trail centers I do like a little jump here and there.. And I am a big lad of 17 stone..

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks more like a braking force issue. Perhaps they need a little more material in the seat stay at that point.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I demand a recall …. 😆

boloclips
    Free Member

ChunkMTB looks like you were spot on with your assumption..
    All 2014 bikes have a beefed up rear stay.
    Whyte are sorting my bike out straight away and should be ready by Friday to collect.
    What I would say is don’t discount the T129s from a potential purchase list as it is a truly fantastic bike and the customer service from Whyte is 1st class.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

*punches air*

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Cool – good to hear that! And about the beefed up stays too!

Now… have they also increased the rear tyre clearance whilst they are at it 😉 I want to be able to get something a bit meatier than a 2.2 out back!

granny_ring

Good result OP, thought this was going to turn into a 146 thread….

granny_ring

Good result OP, thought this was going to turn into a thread like the 146 was a while back….

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

M-109 went in the same place and I bent the other side big time. They replaced the seat stays but awaiting the new reinforced ones.

Whyte are awesome – it will only take a few days to sort if they’re as good as they usually are.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Oops, sorry, didn’t read on. Fool!

corsair
    Free Member

Now… have they also increased the rear tyre clearance whilst they are at it

I haven’t seen the 2013 close up, but having seen my 2014 close up I doubt it! I have a Ground Control 2.1 in there at the mo, so not the biggest tyre in the world and even so there’s only a tiny gap. I’ve already had to stop a couple of times to clear it when mud got jammed in, and it’s not exactly been really muddy here yet! I tried a Purgatory 2.3 originally just to see whether it would go in, but the knobbles were catching all the time even without any mud so that was a non-starter. 😐

On mine there’s an extension of the weld fillet at the front of the brake mount bracket that goes about 20mm forwards, so well past the point of that break. Can’t see for sure whether it’s there in the photo, if not maybe that was an attempt to reduce stress there in the 2014s, but maybe the actual stay is beefed up too (hard to tell without seeing the 2013 stay “in person”). Either way, glad to hear they’re sorting it out!

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Just seen this post now, I’m the person from ulverston Cronos. Yup mine snapped in exactly the same place too, now have an updated rear stay fitted. No problems since. Supposedly braking force issue as mentioned above. I’ve had quite a few problems with my bike, forks, reverb, brakes, snapped seat stay but all have been sorted under warranty. Disappointed in all the problems but I still love it. Just wish it had more travel on the front end. Whyte confirmed that fitting a longer travel fork will invalidate the frame warranty as they’ve not tested it. Still tempted to go for a pike or xfusion trace.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘My Whyte T129s’ is closed to new replies.