Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • My recent session with Jedi was……….
  • keefus
    Free Member

outstanding. I’ve been riding bikes for 60 years and thought I knew it all but Tony identified areas I would never have thought about, polished the corners off of them and made me a much smoother rider.
    Tony treated me with respect and not once implied I was on old man. Old dogs and new tricks spring to mind but on this occasion he taught me things to make my riding better, smoother and much more enjoyable. My subsequent trip to Coed Llandegla and Penmachno are testament to his methods. I did the blue and red at Llandegla without breaking out in a sweat (apart from the long drag at the beginning) putting into play the things he taught me. Thanks Tony, you have extended my riding capabilities and for that alone I’m grateful.
    The day after our session I drove to Wales. To Snowdon to be precise. At 2pm I walked from the car park to Victoria Terrace and proceeded to climb the mountain with my bike. I reached the summit at 4 40 having beaten two twenty year olds and being asked by god knows how many people “your not going to ride that down are you”? I was buzzed by the rescue helicopter (I was the ONLY bike rider on the mountain),I got caught in a hailstorm that felt like thousands of needles sticking in me and made it down in just under 40 minutes. And I admit to not riding down all of it. I came off once and was lucky enough to land on a grass bank. The rest of it was an incredible buzz and cried when I got to the bottom. 65 years old, two heart attacks under my belt and I’ve just ridden down a friggin mountain. It dont get much better than that. Thanks again Tony and thanks to all of you that have taken the time to read this.

scaled
    Free Member

Lets be clear on this, you not only rode your bike down a mountain, but got it to the top as well!

Crackin write up and makes me feel even worse about not being out on the bike today, i’ve really no excuse!

piha
    Free Member

Inspiring stuff, thanks for posting.

Top stuff Keefus and well done on your Snowdon adventure.

bamboo
    Free Member

What a fantastic story! Tony really does have a great talent.

I had my session with him a couple of weeks ago, and on my first trip to Cannock last weekend, I was not only able to keep up with my mate (who is normally off like a rat up a drain pipe), but on the sections where I led, he couldn’t keep up with me. I’ve never had to wait at the end of a section for a mate before!! It was one of the best rides I have had for years, and my mate enjoyed it too as he was having to push himself to keep up with me 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.

You might like to take a look at “Younger next year”, was recommended to me by a fellow rider.

granny_ring

You put me to shame Keefus, well done on the Snowdon ride. That is on my list of things to do…..sometime.
    I had another great training day along with some mates with Tony the day after you I think, he mentioned you. Hope I’m still riding when I get to your young age 🙂

Well done Keefus, my dad is 75 and still rides his mtb, you have some years of riding ahead of you.

Did my Jedi day a couple of weeks ago and found re learning some ingrained bad habits the hardest thing, 60 years of them might have been a bit much 😀

haggis1978

Must admit to getting a bit bored of the normal Jedi threads as they pop up every few days and I stopped reading them a while ago but for some reason I opened this thread and I’m glad I did. Good story and experiences and thank you for sharing.

aftershock
    Free Member

Good story, there is a lesson for us all in there.

jonke
    Free Member

Took my dad for an uplift day at the FoD just after his 70th and he did fine.

He also went and attempted the cwmcarn downhill with my downhilling nephew on his halfords carrera fury just before his 70th. To be fair that didn’t end quite so well. Still dead proud of him – i can only hope i have his ‘have a go’ attitude when i get to his age.

saxabar
    Free Member

Probably not the time to mention the voluntary ban? Fair play anyhow. I’ll happily lobby for an exception for the over 60s!

keefus
    Free Member

Cheers guys….comments appreciated.

JAMBALAYA, dont understand please explain.

SAXABAR, I deliberately went up at that time knowing that after a cuppa at the cafe I would be riding down after 5pm.

MrOvershoot

See Saxabar us old blokes can read the rules 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@keefus – it’s a book, a bit American and sounds like you are already well on track but I’d say worthy tenner

Younger next year

@saxbar – I read it that @keefus pushed up, makes sense to me

saxabar
    Free Member

😆 I read climb as ride, but anyhow…, no griping intended. I seriously hope I can still ride like that when I’m all grown up!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Nice one keefus! 🙂
    Great!!! 🙂

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Great stuff keefus. Keep turning the wheels.

jedi

Keefus, I was sooo happy when you text me from the bottom of snowdon. I held a beer up and shouted. I know I will be ridng until my last day. I may even share your bucket list.
    HIGH5!!!! 🙂

keefus
    Free Member

Jedi…..bet you shouted yeeeeehaaaaa!

Twin
    Free Member

Your Snowdon times are about the same as mine, and I’m 36!!!! Well done!

keefus
    Free Member

PS Tony, hope you had a good day at the Forset of Dean

jedi

keefus, yeah it was fun. i love riding with my daughter and mates. chilled fun 🙂

keefus
    Free Member

With my trip down Snowdon in mind I was out with a mate of mine having a beer or three and he reckons he doesnt know of anyone older than me to have ridden down this ‘hill’. Does the SW collective know of anyone older than me that has ridden down Snowdon. I was 65 on the 21st of March. (so that makes me 65 yrs 5mths & 2wks old, I did it on the 11th Sept.)

racefaceec90

respect sir 😀 i have never ridden snowdon (never ridden in wales yet) i hope to change that though.

keep on riding 😀

ton

fantastic Keefus!!
    half of the sweary northerners are the top side of 50, it is fantastic that old blokes still get out and have fun and try harder stuff on their bikes.

so all you (us) oldies, keep on keeping on……… 8)

hora
    Free Member
    jedi

i have never coached you hora.

keefus
    Free Member

Ton……moved from brummie land at the age of nine to sweary northern OLDHAM. Does that make me a sweary northerner?

hora
    Free Member

i have never coached you hora.

It was a spoof review 8)

Although if you saw how I ride you’d probably disown/deny any involvement :mrgreen:

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Hora, I will chip in for you to have a lesson, as long as I can film it and publish the outcome.

I can picture the blog now:

Ok, who gave this freak my details? Hora turned up 30 minutes late, messed around for a bit and then informed me that he was off to get a coffee but would be back shortly. When he did make it back two hours later, he got his bike out of the car, sat on it and promptly fell off. I looked at his setup; oh, dear. He had his brake levers at different angles and for some reason his front shifter was zip-tied to the stem. After 45 minutes, I managed to get it something like normal but he then announced that he felt that the forks weren’t right so drove to the nearest bike shop to buy some more.

An hour later and he came back. We fitted the forks just as the sun dipped below the horizon, at which point he informed me that he had to rush off to John Lewis before it closed as he wanted to buy some scatter cushions and a Laura Ashley throw that were in the sale.
    No High5 for you, buffalo head.

Coyote
    Free Member

*applause*

ton

Keefus, we are always on the lookout for new members matey…. 😀

slowrider
    Free Member

Is Hora the only person who finds Hora funny? I’m all up for a good piss take (especially when it comes to the herts pallet gods) but trying to piss on someones buzz just seems incredibly ****.

hora
    Free Member

Stopa Jedi would probably offer me a refund and sign a disclaimer 😆

timpol
    Free Member

Keefus, top stuff! Got informed that you had done it! Tim (was riding Herts the day you were there).

chiefgrooveguru

Slowrider, I’d say yes. Mr Doodledoo’s musings are amusing though!

keefus
    Free Member

Cheers Tim….was a pleasure meeting you.

hora
    Free Member

I apologise for spoiling the OP’s surf/nirvana moment. However theres nothing wrong with light mickey taking when you see Jedi lesson-posts. It was only one post and hardly negative forum use..

uphilla
    Free Member

Keefus – great to read your story! I am not far behind you age wise and had been wondering about doing Snowdon – now inspired to give it a go.
    Also had a session with Tony but sadly not ridden enough since to consolidate the lessons learnt…

keefus
    Free Member

Hora…..I can assure you NOTHING you say will ever take away how I feel after riding down Snowdon or for the things Jedi put me right about on our one 2 one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘My recent session with Jedi was……….’ is closed to new replies.