• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • my oil boilers dead :-( Anyone swapped from oil to wood pellets?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Oil boiler is un repairable (leaking water) and needs replacing. Boiler man reckons will still be ok for a few months, so need to start looking for a replacement. Has anyone swapped over to wood pellets? Is it cheaper, hard to compare the costs. I know theres some RHI payments which will start sometime in the next few years, but not sure how much these will be and if they will cover the big extra cost of a wood pellet system.

I’ve got plenty of space to store pellets so thats not a problem, just trying to see what will be cheaper long term 😕

Bear
    Free Member

Mail me at timATj-twren.eclipse.co.uk

Done a few, pricing up a lot at the moment.
    Cheaper to run, expensive to install, RHI attractive possibly.

Bear
    Free Member

oh and go and get some Fernox leak sealer to put in your system, sometimes works sometimes not.

meeeee
    Free Member

cheers, will try the fernox & will email you later this week when i get a bit of spare time

Bear
    Free Member

No problems, where are you in the country anyway out of interest?

huwie
    Free Member

Hi Bear & meeeee, I’m in exactly the same boat as meeeee!! My Worcester Bosch boiler is 14years old and costing £1,700 a year to feed with oil. The house which is in North Wales, has been extended about 4 years ago, and we added an extra bedroom and living space. I’ve insulation all the roof space with 200mm plus of insulation which has made a difference and started draft proofing. All the windows are new, double glazed with argon gass.
    The mains gas is about half a mile away and the price is only going one way. I’ve had the house assessed by a local firm who suggested a 25kw Tundra model or an outdoor WES model; have you any experience of the models Bear?
    I have room in the garage for the boiler and enough room outside to store the pellets ( with a bit of a alteration). My main approach to this is as follows;

Applied for the RHPP – which I got on March the 3rd, but it’s only valid until 1 off April!!
    Applied for the Green Deal – still not available!!
    Waiting for the RHI to be finalised – just been told today by an architect friend of mine that it’s been pushed back until Oct 2013!!!

My main questions are:

Do I change now to pellet?
    Which model?
    Would a buffer tank or heat exchanger be better?

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Huw

br
    Free Member

A neighbour has pellets, not sure on costs but he added an autofeed after a few months. So it seems you should budget for this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘my oil boilers dead :-( Anyone swapped from oil to wood pellets?’ is closed to new replies.