Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • My new SS 29er – 1st ride today.
  • LukeHurst
    Free Member

I took my new single speed 29er for a ride today on my local trails and I was blown away with how nice it was to ride. Being 6’4″, I never felt quite comfortable on my 26″ XC race bike but the 29er just feels right. Although that probably has something to do with my 15 years road racing background!

I’m running single speed and rigid but it didn’t cause any discomfort. I was amazed by how effortless it felt to maintain speed and the cornering was easy.

I’m instantly convinced by the 29er experience, so much so that I might go out and buy a 29er full-suss soon to complete my lineup so I’ve got rigid, hard-tail and full-suss.

Luke.

Clink

What bike/frame is it?

tk46hal
    Free Member

As Clink said! And any picture?

LukeHurst
    Free Member

It’s a Soul Cycles Dillinger with handbuilt wheels (by me) Stans Crest rims on A2Z XC Hubs. Exotic carbon forks, Chris King H/Set, Avid Elixir R’s and Ritchey WCS finishing kit.

It weighs 22Lbs,

What do you think ?

Luke

rOcKeTdOg

Stunning!

shinsplints

WANT ! :mrgreen:

tk46hal
    Free Member

Very nice, but a bit heavy for me! 😉

Valves & logos not only lined up, but correctly positioned at the top for the photo.
    Outstanding attention to detail.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Luke,
    What gearing are you running on it?

tazzymtb

it’s a passing fad, you will soon grow out of it

soul cycles do make nice kit though

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Valves & logos not only lined up, but correctly positioned at the top for the photo.
    Outstanding attention to detail.

I’m impressed that you noticed! I always pay attention to the small details especially on my race bikes.

Luke,
    What gearing are you running on it?

As I’m new to single-speed I’ve gone for 32×16 as a starting point but I have 15 through to 20 tooth sprockets and I was thinking of getting a couple of new chain rings also.

I’m riding the SS Worlds in August on this bike so I’ll be playing around with tyres and gearing for a few weeks to see what works for me.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Luke

will
    Free Member

Wow that is a thing of beauty!

MoreCashThanDash

Must…..stop……looking….. at ……29er……threads!

flatfish
    Free Member

Seems a shame to point out the weeds and badly painted door.
    I like that……a lot.

charliedontsurf

Nice.
    My favourite type of bike.
    See you a sswc.

rexated
    Free Member

– But the crank arm is neatly lined up with the seat tube, so even stevens IMO.

Very nice looking pushbike!

LukeHurst
    Free Member

– But the crank arm is neatly lined up with the seat tube, so even stevens IMO.
    Very nice looking pushbike!

Ha! Rented house so not my handy work with the garage door. Weeds have had a good dose of weed killer but still they persist. Rubbish setting for the picture I know but I hadn’t ridden it or taken it anywhere up to that point.

Luke

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Nice.
    My favourite type of bike.
    See you a sswc.

Give me a shout if you see me around. Good luck.

Luke

tang
    Free Member

Thats the nicest white bike Ive seen. Good work!

takisawa2

That really is stunning mate.

flatfish
    Free Member

I like that……a lot.

Although the valves line up with different X’s.
    Shame. Would’ve been such a great bike. 🙄

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Thanks for the nice comments. I certainly enjoyed building it and it was definitely worth the 6 month wait whilst I gathered parts.

yossarian
    Free Member

Very very nice

Dyffers
    Free Member

Did you find somewhere in Blighty to get the Dillinger frame or order it over from the US?

It was on my list but couldn’t be bothered with importing it in myself. If I could get it in the UK I might be interested again.

Very nice bike by the way. I’m not usually a fan of white rims/seatposts/stems but yours proves there’s a time a place for everything.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ve done your homework, but just in case, 32:18 on a 29er is equivalent to the “it’s the law” gear of 32:16 on an old fashioned 26″ wheeled bike of yester-year 😉

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

jupiter
    Free Member

Is this the same bike on MTBR? Very nice looking bike, it’s just a shame that there is no dealer in the UK.

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Did you find somewhere in Blighty to get the Dillinger frame or order it over from the US?

Is this the same bike on MTBR? Very nice looking bike, it’s just a shame that there is no dealer in the UK.

Funny you should say about getting them in the UK as I run a web based bike shop on the side (still getting off the ground) http://www.pedalcentre.co.uk and I have been offered UK dealership by Soul Cycles. If theres enough interest I will start importing them. I actually got this frame second hand via the forums.

And yes it is the same bike on MTBR.

Luke

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘My new SS 29er – 1st ride today.’ is closed to new replies.