Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • My new 2010 RS revelation race maxle
  • stu-pid
    Free Member

Just got my new 2010 Revelation Race, had to get them from the US as the maxle race version isnt in the uk yet & i didnt think the black box team version was worth the extra money!
    They look awesome, and best of all they work just like last years revs!

There has been a noticable reduction in weight for 2010, I weighed these at 1760g with a full length steerer compared to approx 2kg for the 09 maxle revs.
    They've also got an extra 10mm of travel but the axle to crown height doesnt seem much bigger than the 09.
    After a good days trail riding including a couple of 6' drops & some rough descents i can't critisize anything about them, like the 09's they're very stiff & precise. The damping works very well, they feel very plush on the small stuff & dont go through their travel too fast on the big bumps & theres no noticable fork dive.
    I can honestly say theyre the best trail forks ive ridden!

psychle
    Free Member

we've hit waaarp factor 9 captain! 😆 nice pic 🙂

robhughes
    Free Member

are they 140,s

stu-pid
    Free Member

Got to thank hugh_b for the pics, hes just bought an slr so we spent the day playing with it & trying to pretend we knew how to use it!!

hugh_b
    Free Member

i want some you git!

stu-pid
    Free Member

Theyre 150mm travel for 2010 but they come with some sort of spacers to reduce the travel.

robarnold
    Free Member

*DROOL*

Very, very nice

slowrider
    Free Member

bet they werent cheap!

nickegg
    Free Member

But are they worth paying extra for over the 2009 forks?

I paid £320 for my 2009 forks a couple of weeks ago….so are these that much of a leap forward?

hugh_b
    Free Member

internals are the same, they have changed the externals to reduce weight. I have had pikes and now have 09 revs, stu-pids revs feel exactly the same but they are noticeably lighter when picking up the front end although he is running a lighter front wheel than me. To be honest, there was only about 100-200g difference at the most between 09 revs and pikes but the new ones are about 300g lighter than the 09 revs. I'd say the 09 revs are going to be stronger due to their pike type build but that comes down to the type of riding your doing and i think it's pretty hard to break a set of forks now days!
    If you have a reasonably light build already and your happy with the weight/ride i wouldn't bother. If your bike could do with a bit of a diet (like my commencal) then it may be worth it! I'd like some, but not sure if the weight saving would be justified when spending that much £££.

Hugh

dasnut
    Free Member

air forks. gah.

my 2010 PUSH'd coil pikes have the same compression knob however…

stu-pid
    Free Member

Got them for £350 from the states & they were creative with the customs declaration so i only paid £30 in customs & parcel force fees. So £380 all in, not bad!!

charliemort

where did you get them from? thanks…………

stu-pid
    Free Member

Got them from smartbikeparts.com

http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=FK5971

Theyre international postage costs are very reasonable & service was very quick.

hora
    Free Member

I was reading an old mag last night/review on the 2010 Rev- it said they have revised the internals(?) so they dont 'get all out of shape on the edge of chaos like the current rev does' (yes you can guess which mag wrote that).

What pressures +/- are you guys running on the 09's?

nickegg
    Free Member

I used the recommended pressures on the fork legs. Couldn't say what they are altohugh i went for the middle recommendations for my weight so i could increase/decrease as needs be (but havn't had the need to)

I set it once and havn't bothered with them since. They seem fine to me but i will be setting them up again when i get to the White Room chalet in Sainte Foy tomorrow evening! 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am completely ignoring this post as I cannot afford a pair of those beauties, which would clearly be a significant improvement over my lumpen coil Pikes. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

it said they have revised the internals(?) so they dont 'get all out of shape on the edge of chaos like the current rev does'

This is probably a reference to the Blackbox damping on the Team model.

hora
    Free Member

So whats the price guide for the UK then? They cant hide behind US/UK currency can they?

charliemort

The Team ones are on CRC – £600 – £700 list depending on model

they only have dual air races at £400 list but think they are QR

hora
    Free Member

So £350 extra for peace of mind warranty? 😕

charliemort

well yes – but stu-pid's are Race, not Team………..

seems like the issue is whether the Team's are worth x amount more than the Race models

RicB

mmmm, very very nice forks. How can I persuade the wife we don't really need that new kitchen!

A middle ground between the race and team spec might be to get the race model direct from TFT with the new PUSH mod installed. It'll probably add another 100quid onto retail but that's still less than 350.

odannyboy
    Free Member

take the maxle out and give er a good smear of grease. popped mine out 7 days after a wet ride and it was scabby already,the black coating on they does nowt to protect it!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Race is 350 at Merlin i think?
    Team Air 2010 is/was 480 online at either Winstanleys or JE James.

I very tempted by the team air. Its revised compression and rebound, TFTuned only adjust rebound and cost has gone up to 170 quid.

kiwijohn

07 Iron Horse MkIII Expert? Awesome bike, I've got the same still running the Pikes. Have you cracked the swing arm yet?

RicB

Yes but that £170 for the PUSH mod includes a full service; parts and labour. Buying one with the push mod installed won't be £170 extra (I imagine).

Very tempted for £480 though. If only RS had a travel adjust that works on the fly, instead of sloooow U-turn

hora
    Free Member

I was abit naughty last night. I bought a set of dual air 09 Rev maxles locally.

OP- Any further thoughts on 09 v 10 much appreciated (and especially on your 09's)

stu-pid
    Free Member

Its an 08 mkiii if that makes any difference, had it for about 6 months & not cracked the swingarm i think you'd have to do something pretty serious to actually do that. Having said that my mate rides a commencal meta 5 & does the same riding as me & he's cracked it after 2 months!

Rode afan this weekend with the new forks, still well pleased with them, cant say i had any problems with the damping system getting out of shape even when going flat out over the pretty rough sections on the wall & whites.

eichler
    Free Member

my new rockshox revelation team maxle

Looks like I will be stripping these down tonight! Lost all air from spring which seems to have removed the dust seal from the leg. I assume the air u-turn assembly is the same as the old rev and air pike (which I had before).

hugh_b
    Free Member

@ hora, i'm running lower air pressures than on the fork leg. I'm 11stone and i'm running 90 psi in both + & -. This feels nice and plush, doesn't bottom out unless you have a big big hit but has great small bump performance. I don't have a problem with the motion control either. Personally i wouldn't bother with the blackbox internals as i see it as a huge amount of £££ for very little gain if any.

richc
    Free Member

how much will you want for them when you sell them next week Hora?

kiwijohn

The 07 MkIII had a a faulty weld on the swingarm where they would all crack. A mate has an 08 & that has cracked as well & he's a lot lighter than me. There's more on mtbr about it if you want to check.
    But anyway, they're an awesome bike, my pike is getting a bit tired now, so I might have to look into one.

v10
    Free Member

You still getting on well with these Stu-pid? Just bought a shed load and quite fancy a pair for my new toy.

stu-pid
    Free Member

Yeah still very pleased with them, have given them a fair bit of use now and no problems so far.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘My new 2010 RS revelation race maxle’ is closed to new replies.