Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • my middle class complaint of the night….
  • DrP

Throwing a dinner party, and my tagine (le cruset don’t you know. ) isn’t big enough…
    If I cook the meal in a casserole dish, can I still call it a tagine?!

Answers on a suede post card…

DrP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If I cook the meal

There’s your problem. Chef’s night off?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You can call it whatever you want if you cook it.

igm

He said middle class not upper middle Flashy

Bregante

my tagine (le cruset don’t you know. ) isn’t big enough…

Call yourself middle class and yet you only have one size of tagine?

And it’s le creuset…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes However they will be too polite [ two faced] to mention it to your face but they will tell everyone what you did- thy will be disgusted with you.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Call it a ‘Taggerol’?

DrP

Screw it, I’ll make a pie…..

DrP

andyl
    Free Member

We’ve got our Moroccan Lamb dish 😉 in the slow cooker tonight instead of the caserole dish (yes, a certain French make as t’other half is addicted to it). Can’t wait, bloody hungry!

RustySpanner

Call it a ‘Spiced Hot Pot’ and pretend you’re having a ‘Northern’ theme for the evening.

You could entertain your guests by telling them about ‘back to back’ houses. 😀

bikeytom
    Free Member

I cook tagine without a tagine dish all the time, never even thought of buying one. No ones called me up on it yet… Does this make me less middle class? Or maybe my friends are less middle class? Do you have a big enough pie dish to make pie? Surely they’re just as likely to call you up for making pie in a casserole dish as tagine?!

user-removed
    Free Member

Lucky for some. Mrs Removed is cooking a huuuuugely elaborate Ottolengi veggie special. It needs two hours cooking time and about 30 different ingredients.

I’m sure there are many people who love Ottolenghi’s recipes, but it’s utterly wasted on me (carnivore). I’d honestly rather have a Maccy Dees 🙁 I know, I’m a total ingrate.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yeah make a pie you can have mash or chips then not that horrible cous cous!

DrP

The truth is this dish took 2 1/2 hours to cook too – started off in the tagine, then had to spoon it all out into the casserole dish!
    Cous cous, apricots and all!

I don’t think my guests are ready for talk about ‘back to back houses’ just yet 😉

DrP

flap_jack
    Free Member

I got one of those Le Creuset Tagines. Too blimmin small to make anything worthwhile, but a very nice ornament.

The Le Creuset wok, however, gets constant use.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Why are you giving your guests cous cous, dont you like them 😆

DrP

We have the Wok too – takes 6 people to lift it onto the hob!!!

In reality, my favorite pans (frying) to use are my Tesco ‘finest’ frying pans – good heat distribution, light, quality non stick lining…
    Can I still contribute to this post now I’ve admitted to that??

DrP

bikeytom
    Free Member

I love my Tesco Finest frying pan, but i’ve already admitted to making tagine in a casserole dish without a thought for my dinner guests so i’m not sure being in the same boat as me is a good thing here!

slugwash
    Free Member

Huh, the OP should think himself lucky (and lower middle class)

I’m probably going to need some counselling now as my loose leaf oolong’s been tainted by being in close proximity to the uncorked basalmic vinaigrette dressing. Looks like I’ll need a bloody trip to Waitrose come the morning 🙁

CaptJon
    Free Member

you buy ready made vinaigrette? 😐

stgeorge

Answers on a suede post card…

I’m not sure but I think you just failed the middle class bit, it should be pseud’s post card.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘my middle class complaint of the night….’ is closed to new replies.