Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • My lights are too white.
  • dantsw13

I have a Trout Spider eyes on my lid, and a MS816 on my bars. They give me plenty of light, but I often find it too “White”, and it reflects harshly off the ground, especially if there is any dew.

Is there any way of making the light less white?

I also read about the Four4th light with green LED’s, which seemed to solve this issue, but their website suggested “not compatible with your existing white LED’s” which suggests riding in a group with other riders on white lights is a non-starter.

Any Thoughts?

wwaswas

those yellow filter sunglasses?

dantsw13

Cant tell if thats a serious suggestion or not, but it might well work!!

johnellison
    Free Member

Yellow filter over the light lenses? See if you can get hold of some theatrical/photographic lighting gels (ebay?) and fashion something out of those. Don’t go too yellow though, even a slight tint will reduce the colour temperature significantly.

johnellison
    Free Member
    MartynS

I quite like the daylight LEDs…
    However if you want I can send you a couple of bits of different orange gels to see what you get on with.
    I’ve found some of these LEDs white balance very high, I have one that comes out at about 9k so even with a full orange it only comes down to 6k which is still very white light…

Mail me if you want
    Martyn

scaredypants

The higher lumen outputs from LEDs are always at the colder end I think – used to be anyway, when I was pretending I was going to build a light

AlexSimon

Could it just be that the spider eyes are such a tight beam and near your eye level?
    Although obviously those filters/gel sheets are a cheap way to experiment.

Simon

Old skool halogen FTW 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

+

+

scaredypants

baggsy the toffee ones !

epicyclo

Powerful helmet lights wash out the track surface.

Try mounting a set of lights really low. That would be a good place for a coloured light because of the contrast shadows it would create.

That’s how we used to be able to ride when the best we could get was a 3watt bulb in an Everready bike light.

molgrips
    Free Member

As above, helmet lights do weird things if they aren’t dimmer than your bar ones – to my eyes at least.

Whiteness can be useful though. I used to have two similar lights, one with old fashioned LEDs (ie not cree types with drivers) a good few years ago, and one with a halogen bulb. Both were similar brightness, not really enough to see by. I used to use the LED one fine, but one day I took the halogen one and I suddenly got people pulling out in front of me all over the place.

The halogens were the same colour as everyone’s car headlights, but the white LEDs were much more noticeable.

dantsw13

Thanks guys – lots of food for thought there.

Does anybody have any experience with the GREEN LED’S talked about on the Four4th website?

meeeee
    Free Member

when I get back in the car after a night ride I always think what the **** is up with my headlights as they look like I’ve got two yellow flamed oil lamps attached to the front compared to the super white light of my LED bike lights!

Muke
    Free Member

meeeee +1

I even got out to check the headlights were working properly the first time it happened.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yes I’ve got the Four4th green LEDs. They really reduce the reflected glare, and I find they work much better than white LEDs in twilight conditions too.

No problem if other people are riding with white LEDs. What the website means is, don’t use a green bar light with a white helmet light, or vice versa.

Demo versions are available if you want to try, although it may depend where you are (Four4th are in Farnham, Surrey) drop them an email and find out.

epicyclo

I’ve been thinking about mounting a couple of LEDS to mid fork leg to get the contrast. If it works ok, I’ll report back.

pdw
    Free Member

You can get much warmer LEDs and it might be possible to retro fit them to those lights. As has been said, bike lights typically come with the whitest LEDs as those are the ones with the highest output.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

epicyclo – have you seen this?

trout
    Free Member

The leds in the Spidereye are 2S on the chart so not the whitest that were available .

epicyclo

offthebrakes – Member
    epicyclo – have you seen this?

Ta, ordered 2 🙂

robj20
    Free Member

I have the Four4th Green Holy Moses, been excellent really helps features stand out on the trail, its hard to explain but white light seems to flatten everything. There also that bright i wouldn’t worry about anyone’s lights behind you.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Another very happy Four4th Green Holy Moses user here

dazzlingboy

Tempted by the Four4ths. What’s the deal with not using them with a white light? I understand it would be ideal not to, but presumably using one white one green is a good halfway house option?

dantsw13

Not according to their website.

Is it possible to retrofit green LED’s into existing lights?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘My lights are too white.’ is closed to new replies.