Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)
  • My kid came home from the child minder with severe facial sunburn – not happy
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The problem with sunburn is that by the time you notice it’s too late.

The problem *with people that don’t think* is that sunburn will happen if you leave a child in the sun with insufficient protection. There is absolutely no excuse for letting a child get like that – it is the middle of summer FFS! Fair enough if it had been an early April jaunt and they got caught out, but the carer should be acutely aware of the consequences at this time of year!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

but the carer should be acutely aware of the consequences at this time of year!

This isn’t going to help, but in all honesty, number one carer is the parent. If it were me I would be thinking of finding a new carer, BUT, I don’t think I would have allowed my 14 month old to be taken to the beach all day in the first place. If there is any blaming to be done I think it has to be shared around a bit.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m wondering about the beach too. When its mental hot we either go to the beach pre 10am or post 5pm, or better still up into the shady woods.

piemann
    Free Member

He wears his hat happily sometimes, at other times he’s not so keen. As a professional carer, I would have at least hoped that she would recognise that when he is not wearing his hat, additional measures are needed, such as – oh, I dunno… SUN CREAM maybe or find some shade??

Also, my desire for revenge, whilst still simmering, has abated considerably since this morning, as is hopefully reflected in my subsequent posts.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This isn’t going to help, but in all honesty, number one carer is the parent. If it were me I would be thinking of finding a new carer, BUT, I don’t think I would have allowed my 14 month old to be taken to the beach all day in the first place. If there is any blaming to be done I think it has to be shared around a bit.

I suppose the parents would have trusted the carers to know what they were doing? I think I would have assumed so.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I suppose the parents would have trusted the carers to know what they were doing? I think I would have assumed so.

You’ve got little kids I think?

Would you take them to the beach in the middle of the day?

tang
    Free Member

As a carer management of any weather conditions should be second nature.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You’ve got little kids I think?

Would you take them to the beach in the middle of the day?

Yes I have and of course I would – but I wouldn’t just leave them sitting there in direct sunlight without enough protection – I would ensure they were well covered (sun cream, loose-fitting clothes, sun hat) and make sure there was plenty of shade around.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

So at what point is the (Professional, qualified, Registered & Paid) carer responsible.

She is being PAID to be responsible whilst the parents are not present. As the parents provided suncream & a hat what else would you like them to do? FFS

rewski
    Free Member

what else would you like them to do?

Not allowed a day trip to the beach maybe?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Poor little lad! That looks sore, though I’m sure he’ll be enjoying the extra love and attention post burn. Healing vibes little dude.

I’m thinking that with fair skin, even half an hour on the beach without protection from the sun would be too much.

I wouldn’t be looking for revenge, but I would be looking for a different chlid minder, and I’d make it very clear why to the child carer in question.

RichPenny
    Free Member

It sounds like she didn’t offer an apology. If so I’d be worried because I’d expect her to feel responsible for what happened even if she wasn’t entirely to blame (i.e she wasn’t negligent in applying the cream, it just got wiped off etc.)

Tootall, can they actually tell if malignancy is caused by childhood exposure, or is it just that exposure is much more dangerous at that age? Have to admit, our girl has been outside (though covered up) on sunny days and we’ve not used suncream.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Not allowed a day trip to the beach maybe?

so restricting your children’s activities to negate the carer of any responsibility then?

Negligance is negligance. Would you have a different opinion if the this happened in the carer’s back garden then? Or should the parent’s also not let them go outside?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

As a carer management of any weather conditions should be second nature.

It should – but as we’ve established, it’s not.

I’d rather be slightly cautious in the face fo a fairly obvious risk than indignant afterwards with a burnt child.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Would you have a different opinion if the this happened in the carer’s back garden then? Or should the parent’s also not let them go outside?

It wasn’t in the carers back yard though was it?

Have you ever been to a beach? There isn’t much shade and more light is reflected off the sea and sand than in your average back garden. That’s why so many people end up getting burned there. This isn’t some brand new phenomenon that no one has ever heard of before!

Drac

I would have hoped that if a child minder was taking kids to the beach they’d take adequate precautions, hats, creams, shirts, wind breaks and shelters. Because there isn’t much shade and more light is reflected off the sea and sand than in your average back garden. That’s why so many people end up getting burned there

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Have you ever been to a beach?

Yes I grew up by the coast and all my family is still there. I visit the beach alot with my kids. Your right, it isn’t a new phenomenon. That’s why when I go I take provisions to ensure my children are safe. The same any responsible parent or carer should do.

You still haven’t answered if your opinion would change if this happened in her back garden. People can still get burnt by the sun away from the beach you know or is this a phenomenon you haven’t come across yet…

vegasdave
    Free Member

Mmm,the line from 3rd Rock From The Sun rings true…”I want to have babies like the humans..and pay complete strangers to look after them”…

donsimon
    Free Member

The buck stops where?
    I had had sunburn to blisters as a child and I turned out OK. Able to spend mucho time in the sun without cream nowadays without fear of burning.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Blame aside for a sec.

Thats very bad Sunburn and you kid needs to see a doctor.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘My kid came home from the child minder with severe facial sunburn – not happy’ is closed to new replies.