Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)
  • My kid came home from the child minder with severe facial sunburn – not happy
  • GrahamS

Ouch! Poor scrap that looks proper sore 🙁

DavidB
    Free Member

She made a mistake. Talk to her openly about it, you may find she accepts the mistake and is then determined to never make it again. Rather there be a minder who is properly aware of the impact of not using sunscreen than another job hunting statistic and bureaucratic complaint trail. Your child may well be ok in a few days, she might suddenly have no income and no job prospects. And (being a little controversial here) you abdicated care of your child to another, regardless of their qualifications, job, whatever..you took a slight risk. It’s gone wrong for both of you try and right it not seek retribution.

piemann
    Free Member

As the day has progressed, I have been swaying between incandescent rage and thoughts of it being an honest mistake and that much worse things happen at sea etc, etc.

We will be considering our next move very carefully. Our kid is really happy with the minder most of the time, and I certainly don’t want to ruin a livelihood for the sake of one incident.

Aaaaarrrggghhh. Why did no one tell me that having children would be like this????? (or why didn’t I listen properly to all those who did tell me???)

Thanks for all the advice and comments. I’ve calmed down a lot with the help of the STW massive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would be cross but I had this happen with my two when I had them atthe beach.
    Factor 50 for both of them repeated and always at the same time. One was absolutely fine – not even tanned and the other was sunburnt. Not to the extent of blisters but red and then peeled on his face and arms but not his legs.
    Do you trust her?
    i find it hard to believe a child minder would be this daft /negligent tbh as it is just a stupid thing to do.
    i would speak to her and report if you feel this will help

DavidB
    Free Member

A fine attitude piemann. Enjoy the next ten years and let me warn you about the teenage ones…actually I won’t. You’ve enough on your plate as it is.

bullheart
    Free Member

It’s probably best that those without children avoid contributing to this thread (from here on…)

Quite literally, the stupidest post I’ve read in a long time. Pray tell, why?

scaredypants

It’s probably best that those without children avoid contributing to this thread (from here on…)

Quite literally, the stupidest post I’ve read in a long time. Pray tell, why?
    You have to say, it gets ’em every time 😉

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about that, poor little sod…..I’ve been burnt badly enough for it to blister across the shoulders, when it starts to dry out and scab and pull the sking tight,it hurts like a bastard, so slap plenty (really, loads)of moisturiser or vaseline on it at short regular intervals (like hourly) to keep the blister soft and supple till it falls off, it hurts less but just itches like hell then.

Best of luck with it.

slackin101
    Free Member

Well done piemann.

To be fair the wee fella looks proper fair skinned. The child minder possibly thought she was okay because she regularly applied the factor 50 but beaches are pretty exposed and with skin that fair it probably needed some shade and/or a wide brimmed hat too.

I’m not sure how I’d react in your situation but if you are generally happy with the child minder (the next one might do the same) then it would be worth taking her some pictures and talking it through to see her reaction before you make a final decision.

It wouldn’t hurt to let her know how unhappy you are about it but try to keep the conversation firm but civil. I think my decision about whether to change child minders would be guided by her reaction to the pictures and discussion.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Having seen that photo, I completely understand how you feel piemann.

We will be considering our next move very carefully. Our kid is really happy with the minder most of the time, and I certainly don’t want to ruin a livelihood for the sake of one incident.

She made a very serious error of judgement it can’t go unpunished, if she loses her job well that’s hard luck, she has bought harm to a baby to which she has a duty of care for.

EDIT: On reflection, if it was me I’d make sure she lost her job.

tracknicko
    Free Member

wow kingtut you seem like a nice compassionate kinda guy eh?

got a few daily mails over here for you if you want em.

binners

Aaaaarrrggghhh. Why did no one tell me that having children would be like this?????

Have you learnt nothing watching my deteriorating hairline, and stratospheric stress levels over the years. I’ve often suspected that me waffling on, moaning, to you bloody whipper-snappers sounds to you lot like the teacher sounds on Charlie Brown 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

wow kingtut you seem like a nice compassionate kinda guy eh?

got a few daily mails over here for you if you want em.

Thanks but no.
    **** compassion If someone caused harm to my child through negligence, I’d make sure they were punished to the full extent possible.

tracknicko
    Free Member

ah well, you shall have to keep up the witch hunt without backup literature then eh?

tracknicko
    Free Member

sounds like a mistake to me.

worth getting a decent child minder sacked over?

no.

andyl
    Free Member

When I was about 5 a resort child minder left me out in the sun all afternoon in spain in the middle of summer. I ended up in hospital with serious burns to my back, shoulders, arms etc. They had to drain the blisters and wrap me up like a mummy. Now I am in serious risk of cancer with a lot of high risk freckle/mole thingies on my shoulders.

Make sure he gets proper medical attention and do think seriously about the child minder. She needs to learn and never, ever do this again. If you think she will learn then use your discretion – if not then you need to act.

As for will he recover…trauma etc – obviously mentally yes. But physically who knows – there could be a slight scar as kids heal very quickly and there could be an increased risk of cancer etc but, maybe cheeks are better than other parts of the skin at coping with sun through evolution or maybe it is a resistance that builds up with exposure? I guess from now on you (and she) will remember this and take no chances in future and really slap on the good stuff.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

ah well, you shall have to keep up the witch hunt without backup literature then eh?

I’s not a witch hunt, it’s my opinion based on the information given, though I can’t see how there can be any mitigating circumstances in this situation.

sounds like a mistake to me.

worth getting a decent child minder sacked over?

no.

That’s your opinion I have mine, such is life.

VanHalen

surely for hte super fair skinned you need a total sun block?

do you provide the sun cream? we have to.

she should notice the little buggers going bright red in the sun though.

Is she ofsted registered? this should be in her accident book at the very least.

yossarian
    Free Member

100% report her.

Its totally unacceptable to allow a child in your care to be burnt that badly.

1. Up to the doctors to get a proper look – they like to keep a record of over-exposure in case of future problems.

2. Is the childminder ofsted registered? They need to be if looking after for more than 2 hours a week etc. How many other kids were there? How long were they at the beach? what time of day?

All those saying BTFU are talking through their ringpieces

heywayne
    Free Member

WOW! Toughie.

We always pack a bottle of sun cream in our boys bag when he goes to the child minder, and if she had sworn that she’d put it on we’d trust her that she had, but then she’s not your child minder – only you can make that call.

I think we’d take our boy to the GP’s just as a check – if when questioned how it happened we’d be forced to reveal the situation, and I think that’s where the proper authorities/procedures would kick into action if required/deemed necessary.

Neglect is tricky – if she’s stated that she did put it on, how can you prove otherwise? One could argue that reddening cheeks on a child that age could be seen as symptoms of teething, or heat, wind (blowy stuff not bottom burps) – and reddening doesn’t always show up straight away.

Just playing Devil’s advocate here.

You sound like a sensible chap, I’m sure you’ll do what’s right by your boy.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

bullheart
    Free Member

Neglect is tricky – if she’s stated that she did put it on, how can you prove otherwise?

The child’s face.

heywayne
    Free Member

bullheart – Member
    Neglect is tricky – if she’s stated that she did put it on, how can you prove otherwise?
    The child’s face.

Brilliant.

Drac

Ok it is neglect as mentioned even if unintentional, sun screen provides some protection but it does not mean they can sit out for hours in sun. It’s not hard to prove, the child went to child minder without a burnt face and returned with one.

It needs reported.

Sunburn is a burn so in small kids it is serious especially if causes enough to blister, visit the GP or Minor Injuries Unit. If he’s really very lethargic in a lot of discomfort, vomiting and/or general weak then A+E.

A GP or Nurse will advise on how to report and the reasons why.

It could be an oversight and do hope it is but whatever it is the child minder failed to look after you child safely.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Everyone makes mistakes that’s why pencils have rubbers.

I am dark skinned and two hours in the sun without block left my shoulders pretty burned a few weeks back.

Obviously she didn’t put enough on your kid and of course she made a bad mistake but if shes been good up till now and is someone you trust just make sure she loads him up in the future.

Why bay for what is probably a very decent persons blood like this, I’m getting pissed off with this blame culture.

Why does it need reporting, really, a child gets sunburn and you report it to the council, how ridiculous.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think your last post does you credit Piemann. Hope the doc can sort your nipper out in the short term and there are no lasting effects. It’s a tough call on the reporting or not. Perhaps talk to the doc and ask their opinion? I’d agree that it’s an honest mistake but you’d expect someone responsible for young children not to make too many – I’d hope that a single incident wouldn’t cause them a problem but repeated instances would ring alarm bells.

TooTall
    Free Member

she made a bad mistake

Why does it need reporting, really, a child gets sunburn and you report it to the council, how ridiculous.

How bad would you say it had to be to report – a bad, bad, bad mistake or a really, really bad mistake? What level of neglect regarding your child would move you to action?

tracknicko
    Free Member

yes to report.

no to ‘she mustn’t go unpunished/must be sacked’

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Just don’t use that minder again.

If it was my kid, I’d be livid too.

teethgrinder

Burn her. Burn her back with fire 😈

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m not into speculation. If my child came home from a minder and had bad sunburn like that I’d probably say something like did you forget to put sun block on? He looks pretty sore, let’s not have that happen again and leave it there. it’s very easy to miss a spot when your applying suncream anyway. I have two kids of 6 and 10 and frankly a bit of sunburn wouldn’t bother me or them too much.

Some of the repsonses on this thread seem highly disproportionate if your that worried about your kids H and S probably better to not leave them with other people (This is in no way directed at the OP more at the frankly hysterical replies)

It’s a bit of sunburn – what?

Drac

It’s needs reporting as a child was hurt whilst in the care of a registered child minder. It does not mean she will be struck off or prosecuted injuries happy all the time for various innocent reasons but they do need reported. It’s no different than reporting an injury at work, there needs to be a record to help prevent it happening again.

Edukator
    Free Member

Did you send the kid out with a suitable sun hat? Are you sure it’s only sunburn? I suspect sandy hands rubbing may have contributed. The nose is the first burn and looks fine.

joolsburger
    Free Member

When did sunburn become an Injury I think that’s my point.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Some of the repsonses on this thread seem highly disproportionate if your that worried about your kids H and S probably better to not leave them with other people (This is in no way directed at the OP more at the frankly hysterical replies)

We all parent differently, I definitely err on the over protective side and I always will, I like it that way and make no apologies for it, hopefully my daughter will appreciate my level of care in the years to come.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Surely any burn is an injury.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I give up. Seriously kids have been getting a bit of sunburn here and there for thousands of years it’s not an injury it’s part of summer and a learning experience. I guess I’m just old fashioned.

TooTall
    Free Member

A comprehensive term for any wrong or harm done by one individual to another individual’s body, rights, reputation, or property

That from a legal dictionary. Harm to the body whilst in the care of another in this case. What isn’t an injury about it?

TooTall
    Free Member

How on earth can a child of that age learn about sunburn?

The increased risk of skin cancer in later life is believed to be doubled (IIRC) from childhood sunburn. If you think that increasing your kid’s risk of skin cancer in later life is learning, crack on you great dad you.

Drac

To use your own OTT statement for thousands of years.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member

I give up.

Oh good.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘My kid came home from the child minder with severe facial sunburn – not happy’ is closed to new replies.