Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)
  • My iDave experience
  • oddjob
    Free Member

just limit it to 2 glasses per night max

I’ll be interested to hear what you think about the feed zone, I’ve been looking at that and was planning to get it when over in the UK in the summer

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t most alcohol have sugars or something in it as well? Or carbs of some kind?

philconsequence
    Free Member

IIRC alcohol is about 7kcals per gram, the same as fat. so its ’empty calories’ – no nutritional value especially as alcohol is a poison that the body doesn’t particularly like.

good holly molly? 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Phil – yes, great. I may even post some pics 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Please say they’re of you… topless.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How’s the diet gone whilst you’ve been in the States?

Managed to avoid all the supersizing / be iCompliant?

hilldodger
    Free Member

but vin rouge seems to be acceptable on the iDave. Why is that?

because it’s iDave’s tipple of choice 😆

No nutritional difference between red wine/white wine or even a vodka and grape/cranberry juice.

And as for “poison”, well, it’s not ethanol that’s toxic but it’s metabolites (mainly aldehydes) that are produced when you overload the enzyme systems – drink slowly in moderation and no “poisoning” occcurs

molgrips
    Free Member

They are not. There is a picture of a racoon though.

I could not avoid carbs of course, it’s the USA. I managed to maintain weight though because I hired a bike and did some rides, with actual other people!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

We’ve been waiting over a year now.

Actually I’ve seen you naked in real life since then so maybe I should just free myself of the burden of expectation.

Good work… so you got in some training… chapeau.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I got invited on the local group ride, which was the fast group. Flat mostly empty straight roads and some really fast riders.. got really excited trying to keep up and I was doing so until I dropped back to help someone back on.. fatal mistake.. still kicking myself!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How fast is fast?

ChrisS
    Free Member

I’ve found the iDave diet to work pretty much as advertised, I have to confess I haven’t followed it religiously – both in the sense that I “cheat” to a small extent during the week by still having milk in my tea and eating the odd bit of cheese and fruit, but also in as much as I don’t really go for it on the weekly blow-out day, just take a more relaxed approach to my diet. This is probably because, whilst I’ve been aiming to trim up a bit, I don’t need to loose a huge amount of weight.

The problem I’ve run in to is that I’m now finding that after even modest amounts of exercise, such as my 6/7 mile commute, I’m getting really stiff muscles, not just my legs either, but also hands and jaw. Which is all rather odd. It’s making me wonder whether my carb consumption has just dropped too low as I’ve seen recommendations of 100-150g per day for weight maintenance, which seems quite a lot when they need to come from legumes and veg?

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

molgrips
    Free Member

I found it hard to get enough carbs for regular riding eating only beans/veg etc, which is why you need simple carbs after or during riding. I felt run down, so I just upped the amounts.

Yeti, the fast group averaged 25mph I think despite an ambling start. The fastest ones were the people winning local road races.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Chris – are you drinking enough?

Sounds like good training for your race with DirtyG… how long did you stick with them for? Also – thinking you could get back to the group averaging 25mph… school boy error! I bet you don’t ride that fast on your own…

ChrisS
    Free Member

Dunno, I think so, depends whether cups of tea count? I thought they did?

molgrips
    Free Member

Only with them for 5 miles, but I was feeling good. I did get back on but I was tired… very much a schoolboy error in going back for my mate. The weak must fend for themselves, it’s the roadie way … 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The weak must fend for themselves,

That could be a great tattoo.

philconsequence
    Free Member

That could be a great tattoo.

as long as you dont ever go and work in health or social care 😆

the torys could adopt it as their new motto?

glad you had a good holly molly 😀 have you heard about darcy being pregnant with a wolfcub?

miketually
    Free Member

From skim-reading bits of 4HB, which is pretty much identical to iDiet:

vin rouge seems to be acceptable on the iDave. Why is that?

Red wine is fine because Tim Ferriss likes red wine and his experimentation showed it didn’t have an effect upon weight loss, though other drinks did. He recommends a couple of grape varieties as being lower in sugar than others.

The problem I’ve run in to is that I’m now finding that after even modest amounts of exercise, such as my 6/7 mile commute, I’m getting really stiff muscles, not just my legs either, but also hands and jaw.

Almost all the issues around 4HB diet seem to be resolved by eating more and drinking more water. It could also be that this is being caused by you not really going for it on the cheat day; maybe you’re missing a micronutrient, or salt or not fully replenishing your body’s glycogen stored on that once a week cheat? In 4HB, TF mentions some women not menstruating if they don’t go for it on the cheat day, as one example of why it’s an important day.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Interesting point about cheat days…. I thought the perceived wisdom that as you approached your goal weight / body fat percentage, iDieters tended to loose interest in the cheat day? Is the iDiet / 4HB approach intended to be used purely during a specific fat-loss period, and then replaced with a more “balanced” approach to diet, or is the six days on, one day off pattern supposed to continue effectively forever?

BoardinBob

in 4HB, he’s already lean but still has monster cheat days

molgrips
    Free Member

have you heard about darcy being pregnant with a wolfcub

I have yes, this is good and should keep STW entertained for a few years I feel 🙂

I still have to get him out for a ride before it’s too late.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i got him up to swinley for a ride, if god existed he’d look like darcy. swooooonley forest that day

cynic-al
    Free Member

miketually – Member

Almost all the issues around 4HB diet seem to be resolved by eating more and drinking more water. It could also be that this is being caused by you not really going for it on the cheat day; maybe you’re missing a micronutrient, or salt or not fully replenishing your body’s glycogen stored on that once a week cheat? In 4HB, TF mentions some women not menstruating if they don’t go for it on the cheat day, as one example of why it’s an important day.

What a shit diet!

miketually
    Free Member

What a shit diet!

Compared to?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

*waves at Molly* sounds like you had a nice holiday 🙂 I have been training hard whilst you have been away so I’ve made some gains for our race 😆

ton

it is a fantastic diet.
    where can a bloke have bacon, sausage(HOMEMADE) mushrooms, eggs, beans and toms, and still lose weight.
    oh and 2 cans of mackeral with some cherry toms, and olives, oh and some almonds and a bit of hummous.

it is fantastic…….. 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m sure you’re ahead right now dg, I have not been good.

Frankers
    Free Member

ton – Member
    it is a fantastic diet.
    where can a bloke have bacon, sausage(HOMEMADE)

Wow you make your sausages…. Do you have any recipes or advice on how to go about making you own

FieldMarshall

Found this piece on red wine on the telegraph website;

Scientists have revealed a compound found in red wine can help control obesity.

The substance, called piceatannol, delays the generation of young fat cells and prevents them from growing into mature fat cells.

The compound blocks insulin’s ability to activate genes that carry out further stages of fat cell formation.

The heart-healthy agent found in the grape-based beverage is also thought to protect the body from heart and neurodegenerative diseases and cancer.

miketually
    Free Member

^^^http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/9200150/Red-wine-helps-weight-loss.html^^^

cynic-al
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    What a shit diet!
    Compared to?

One that doesn’t put your health at risk?

hilldodger
    Free Member

I know iDiet “isn’t low carb” but recent report linking high protein/low carb “Atkins like diets” with cardiovascular disease in women in particular…..

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/MyocardialInfarction/33495

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I have lost over a stone in the last couple of months with iDave, thanks very much, you have certainly changed my diet for the better! One small problem with fruit though, I have a bumper crop of raspberries in my garden and they are delicious, looks as though I shall be cheating every day while they are in season!

miketually
    Free Member

I have lost over a stone in the last couple of months with iDave, thanks very much, you have certainly changed my diet for the better! One small problem with fruit though, I have a bumper crop of raspberries in my garden and they are delicious, looks as though I shall be cheating every day while they are in season!

Run, eat raspberries. Ride, eat raspberries. Lift heavy things, eat raspberries. Run, eat raspberries. Ride, eat raspberries. Lift heavy things, eat raspberries. Run, eat raspberries. Ride, eat raspberries. Lift heavy things, eat raspberries. Run, eat raspberries. Ride, eat raspberries. Lift heavy things, eat raspberries. Run, eat raspberries. Ride, eat raspberries. Lift heavy things, eat raspberries.

FieldMarshall

Interesting that at the foot of the page, there is a link to another study that concludes completely the opposite;

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Atherosclerosis/4467

I’m not a women (at least I don’t think so) but having followed a low carb diet for the last two years, recent test results show that my risk of heart disease and diabetes have both decreased.

hilldodger
    Free Member

FieldMarshall – Member
    Interesting that at the foot of the page, there is a link to another study that concludes completely the opposite;

Yes, illustrates that you need to take a lot of diet :facts: with a pinch of salt (low sodium of course).
    I have never failed to see wieght loss in any person who has followed any kind of food monitoring/restricting program (aka a “diet”) that wasn’t completely whacked out (such as the cabbage diet etc)

iDiet/Paleo/4HB currently has the public’s imagination & is thought of as a “good thing” so people are more likely to engage with it and stick to the program.

Like many aspects of “body management”, much of it about winning the head game first and letting the body follow 🙂

FieldMarshall

HD, couldn’t agree more.

People like to have some kind of structure around which to base their healthy eating on. Most people (me included) are generally weak willed when it comes to eating, as there is so much junk available, it tastes good and costs little. We therefore all need a crutch to keep us on the straight and narrow.

Dieting is no more than eating healthily and cutting out the crap, whichever option/diet you choose. If it means that you make more sensible choices about what and how much you eat then it is successful.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have never failed to see wieght loss in any person who has followed any kind of food monitoring/restricting program (aka a “diet”) that wasn’t completely whacked out (such as the cabbage diet etc)

I have. I rode tons, ate the suggested amount of carbs and healthy (well informed) eating otherwise; gained 2kg in 3 months.

The point is that fast carbs and insulin can thoroughly de-rail any weight loss/healthy eating plan, but this is not fully recognised by the dieting community. We all know sugar is bad; however baked potatoes, lots of fruit, bread, rice and pasta are all on the conventional ‘healthy’ list but can be almost as damaging to your weight loss goals.

Lots of people eat conventional healthy diets and don’t lose weight. I think this is why. The bottom line is that this is a big factor that’s just not recognised.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘My iDave experience’ is closed to new replies.