Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • My Hope Hid bulb has died. Where can I buy a replacement (hopefuly cheaper)
  • Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Did a ride in the rain on Sunday and my Hope Hid bulb appears to have got a load of water inside it. Light now no longer works, so I'm assuming the bulb has blown. It's a 10W solarc Hid bulb. Not contacted Hope yet but was wondering how much a repalcement bulb is going to set me back and if there's any cheaper alternatives (assuming it's going to be painful). Advice /info appreciated.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

iirc they are about £80 – try batteryspace.com

snaps
    Free Member

I've got some cheap spare one's, brand new in the packet – email in profile

Ambrose

This happened to me last yer. Hope charged me £49:00 to fix it. If I could have done it myself I would have but I couldn't even see a way into the unit, no screws, nuffink. Cryofit? (which may be a possibility to service in the future, I can sometimes get hold of LN2)

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Think I'll give Hope a ring first and see what they say. Was thinking a bulb would cost about £100 which seems a bit extreme.

lovewookie

lumicycle charge nearly £80 for a replacement and trailtech, which are normally cheaper are about the same.

they do look like they have lenses on them now though.

You could always ditch the old 10 watt and go for the monster 30W HID, it's bloommin great, but you'd need a new housing…

simonm
    Free Member

Anyone got the spec on the lamps to hunt them down ?

allthepies
    Free Member

Trailtech flog a lamp unit complete with HID bulb for £68 ( http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Single_HID_MR11.html )
    but their spare bulbs cost MORE £78 ( http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Replacment_Lamps.html )

WTF.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Those trailtech units need a regulator circuit to run them – I remember reading on a US site that they burnt the guts out within a few mile of connecting it to a Lumi battery

allthepies
    Free Member

I run a trailtech HID off a batteryspace 14.4v Li-ion battery. There is a trailtech "switch" unit between the two which might do some magic regulation type stuff (possibly!).

simonm
    Free Member

Mrtrotter, ive got same issue, opened up mine tonight and got the following research done.

I've narrowed it down to two possible bulbs off the Welch Allyn site. The ballest is B10N003 at 14v which runs a few lamps. There are two lamps that run off it. A 6 degree or 13 degree

There is a min order qty of $100 (not sure if that includes shipping) Each bulb is £28 at todays rate, plus shipping plus a possible VAT and Duty charge, so if Hope do it for £40 its not a bad deal.

Let me know what Hope say if you can please. If there more expensive, I'd be willing to order these from USA then ship on at cost to you.

ta.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Just to update Bought a cheap (£50 odd quid) Hid bulb off here. Light now works fine. No reply to my email to Hope and havn't had chance to phone them. Just a bit worried that the new bulb will get water in it if I ride in the rain/wet. There's only a thin rubber seal which the bulb pushes up against. Seems a bit inadequate so might look at adding a bit of silicone sealant.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I would send it back to Hope with a letter explaining the problem,or at least get a new seal,Hopes warranty is usually exellent,Its the water ingress thats the problem and obviously not the bulb.

It might be a cause of water getting in from the switch or plug?

simonm
    Free Member

When I opened up my Hope HID, the bulb is sealed…it has to be to arc. Sounds like your original Bulb cracked to get water in it.

kinda666
    Free Member

You can get them for around $30 direct from welch allen but there is a $100 minimum spend and not sure if they post to UK

http://www.walamp.com/lpd/webstore/searchbyapp.tpl?SKU=90633823177659&cart=12568184037161796

snaps
    Free Member

Plus $50 postage plus customs charges plus VAT – I ordered 6 of them last year & they worked out @ £53 each – I have one left if anyone wants it (Mr trotter had the one he mentions off me earlier this week)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘My Hope Hid bulb has died. Where can I buy a replacement (hopefuly cheaper)’ is closed to new replies.