Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My Galaxy S3 has arrived, whatsaboutmeapp's??
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

So, after a long and fruitful life with my Galaxy S I’ve upgraded to the S3 in blingo White. It’s arrived by all accounts and I’ve got to sort a couple of things out.

but what about me App’s.. Do I just log into “market” and it’ll remember all those fellas I have already or should I make note of them and load them all on on my new phone?

Strava by the way has been binned.

xiphon
    Free Member

Should remember them, as it’s tied to your Google account?

coffeeking
    Free Member

It won’t remember them. Google will have a reference as to what was installed but since it’s a new phone it’ll boot up clean and empty and you’ll have to add them all yourself.

donsimon
    Free Member

It might remember them, but on the other hand it might not.
    HTH.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What does it matter anyway? Takes about 10 minutes to find and install all of the apps on my phone, including entering all the IDs and PWs.

CountZero

Surely Android has a proper back-up capability in case of loss, so you can just plug it in and select ‘Restore from Back-up’?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yeah but it won’t necessarily work across android versions and phone versions! That’s like asking the backups for an XP machine to work and fully restore everything on a completely new Windows 7 machine.

glenh
    Free Member

Restoring backups won’t work as the two phones have different versions of the operating system.

If you reset / wipe your phone, logging into the android market should cause all your apps to be reinstalled.
    However, because it’s a new phone this won’t happen (you might have 2 devices and want different stuff on each).

But, when you log into android market, go to ‘my apps’ and you can select all your previously purchased apps for download.

footflaps

Restoring backups won’t work as the two phones have different versions of the operating system.

How strange – works fine between iPhone versions / iOSes – this Andriod thing must be using some strange archaic legacy system 😉

Cougar

This might come as a shock to Apple owners, but there’s more than one company makes Android devices.

I believe, and I could be wrong here, that it will reinstall your apps if you’re coming from a Gingerbread device or higher.

CountZero

This might come as a shock to Apple owners, but there’s more than one company makes Android devices.

Funnily enough, it doesn’t come as a shock, it’s precisely why I wouldn’t touch any Android devise with a barge-pole.
    The fact I can buy an iPad, connect it up and load it from my iPhone back-up, then just delete the apps I feel aren’t of use on it, then create its own back-up to restore from if necessary pleases me greatly.
    But then I’m a lazy git, and the thought of sitting grepping around in a phone’s OS, for some arcane reason, brings me out in hives. 😉

DickBarton

Access Google Play (or Store or whatever it is branded nowadays) and login using your registered email account. It then lists all your apps you have installed and you can select which ones you want to install on your new device. It won’t restore any data that was created from the previous phone but it will install the apps on the new phone.

IF your old apps were installed on a memory card, then install that in the phone and import the data to your new phones version of the app.

funkynick

Or just get one of the many backup and restore apps installed on your old phone, use that… some even backup to the web… and then install the app on your new phone and restore from that. That way you get apps, data and everything else…

Worked perfectly when I got my new phone a couple of months ago.

:o)

Cougar

it’s precisely why I wouldn’t touch any Android devise with a barge-pole.

Yet, you still care enough to take the time read an Android thread, which you obviously have no interest in, solely to make pissy comments. Well done. Did your mother like your brother more?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

If you use the Google play webiste to reinstall you have the option of telling it what phone you have. It’s not really an issue at all.

hora
    Free Member

Apple? Is that the phone with the tiny screen? 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last time I changed my card I got my apps back from the Play store, really easy and tells you about compatibility issues.

Far cleaner than backup/restore really.

Most apps store off device normally so just need to log in.

Apple? Is that the phone with the tiny screen?

and the one without expandable storage

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mucho thanks fellas, playstore it is then.

Appriciate that.

New phone arrived, it’s on charge.

andygreener

I have just got an s3. Now need recommendations for apps that are decent, free if poss that make life easier. Already got the usual sky go, BBC, sky sports. Sky+ etc. What have you got?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My Galaxy S3 has arrived, whatsaboutmeapp's??’ is closed to new replies.