Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • My dog has started killing rabbits..
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

ok he’s a Whippet/Collie cross and nearly 2 yo now but he’s never really shown much interest in catching rabbits. He loves to chase them and could have easily caught some (a few have even run right into him) but in the last week he’s killed two.

The first one barely moved, Barney runs up to it catches it and goodnight wabbit. Yesterday he chased a big posse of them from a distance and they made their escape, one however was caught out and hiding somewhere, Barney could sense it was there (I think) and started sniffing it out, wabbit makes a break for it and Barney moves like I’ve only seem him move a couple of times before (and he is fast) and goodnight wabbit part II. He shook it about a bit, a few munches (no broken skin that I could see) on the head/neck area and that was the end of his interest.

So question is, does he now have the “taste” for it? Or are “last years” rabbits particularly easy to catch at this time of year and simply too easy an opportunity for Barney to turn down?

Stoner
    Free Member

Good dog, good dog.

*pats head, turns on oven*

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s the Mixie. Your dog is doing the bunnies a favour.

wwaswas

How is he with baby robins?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thats what they do. Im not sure its a major problem as its unlikely to affect numbers significantly. Not sure I’d want to encourage that sort of behavior in a dog.
    Depends whether he can differentiate between rabbits and cats for example.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Dog Vs Wabbit..age old adversaries.

It’ll be the whippet in him. I wouldn’t worry the novelty may wear off.

Rabbits at this time of year are a bit slower, there’s plenty of food available, they’re stocking up for winter, and they’re a bit on the plump side.

qwerty
    Free Member

😯

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh noooooo.

Put a bell round his neck when you let him off the lead?

Stoner
    Free Member

and they’re a bit on the plump side

which has absolutely nothing to do with my zeroing my new air rifle yesterday….. 🙂

nom.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mid life dog crisis, for sure.

Anyway – what Stoner says. Farmer gets free pest control, you get free meat. Can’t see a problem!

Thats what they do. Im not sure its a major problem as its unlikely to affect numbers significantly.

Rabbits are considered a pest, by the way. So their numbers do need affecting. They have very few predators in the UK so your dog is probably doing a good thing from an ecological standpoint.

seizednuts
    Free Member

And my dog killed a chicken wandering in fields. Totaly different response. ❓

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thanks all, made me feel better about it.

annebr
    Free Member

seizednuts – Member
    And my dog killed a chicken wandering in fields. Totaly different response.

mmm yeah but totally different animal 😕

If this dog kills a neighbours pet rabbit there is likely to be a different response too.

cardo

Good dog…. our dog surprised us last week when he caught a rabbit, it had been a while and he’s 10!

willjones
    Free Member

It’s what sight hounds do; great to see them enjoying what they’re ‘made for’, but big risk to your dog – we’ve had greyhounds that have chased rabbits into barbed wire fences at 40mph, and one that broke his back catching a rabbit hole at full pelt and rag dolling half way across a field (he needed a lot of rehab). Also know of an uninsured lurcher with a £6k broken leg from chasing stuff. Also the risk of impaling on sticks/branches in woodland. They really do get the red mist!

In short, assess the risks before you let him off…

MrSmith
    Free Member

as said above it’s myxomatosis and once that has worked its way through the local population it will not be fast enough to catch them.

waveydave
    Free Member

I agree good dog. Get your powerful headlamp and go lamping at night, the eyes shine up and the wabbits will take cover in the middle of fields and you can walk towards them with trusty dog at your side then send him off after them, its great fun. Sounds like your dog is quick enough to catch a young wabbit anyway, learn how to gut and stick em in the pot.

footflaps

Mid life dog crisis, for sure.

Next he’ll be buying a Porsche Boxster, getting a tattoo, dyeing his hair and chasing BILFs….

Bimbler
    Free Member

It’s what sight hounds do; great to see them enjoying what they’re ‘made for’, but big risk to your dog – we’ve had greyhounds that have chased rabbits into barbed wire fences at 40mph, and one that broke his back catching a rabbit hole at full pelt and rag dolling half way across a field (he needed a lot of rehab). Also know of an uninsured lurcher with a £6k broken leg from chasing stuff. Also the risk of impaling on sticks/branches in woodland. They really do get the red mist!

Thanks for the advice, met this bloke who bought a “designer” lurcher for “sporting” reasons and post puppy period he always had it on the lead, when I asked him why he said it’s chase instinct was off the scale, blowing leaves would set him off. Saw him a few weeks ago and he didn’t have the lurcher with him, stoopit dawg, turns out he impaled himself on a branch. 🙁 Beautiful looking animal too.

Inbred456
    Free Member

He is a lurcher its what they are bred to do. Intelligence and stamina from the collie and speed from the whippet.Pat him on the head and go and buy a slow cooker.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Rabbits are easy to catch at the moment as they are very young. My Dog, who is so gentle but loves a chase has caught a couple and then is confused as to what to do next, so now he waits for them to start running before chasing them and doesn’t go for the kill.

Squirrels however are quite different…because they fight back he kills them instantly when he catches them, which isn’t very often, as they is sneaky little varmints and know how to wrong foot a speeding dog!

(also called Barney btw)

Bimbler
    Free Member

What puzzles me though is that he has always seemed more collie like than whippet like – he has the collies love of tennis balls – would jump off a cliff chasing one, and even his rabbit chasing almost seemed more like herding – especially when he was younger.

scotchegg
    Free Member

Collie x whippet is a well known cross for rabbiting dogs as the collie makes them very biddable.

Round here we get £1 per rabbit. You could always make him pay his keep….

molgrips
    Free Member

Next he’ll be buying a Porsche Boxster

Porsche Boxer surely?

Or maybe a Range Rover.

BoardinBob

It’ll be a child’s face next…

imnotverygood

“Bright eyes..burnin’ me like fire”

No need to feel guilty

imnotverygood

….actually, thinking about it. Was it a particularly big, evil looking rabbit he killed & was he led on by a speedy, charismatic rabbit who looked like he could tell a good story?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mustard & herbs, then teach him about hare’s

It’s natural and fairly normal

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMnLDqnF7lU[/video]

soobalias
    Free Member

my last dog caught and chomped one up a bit and proceeded to swallowed it whole.

you want to train it to pop the head and nothing else if you want to eat it.

stoopid slow young rabbits.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

my last dog caught and chomped one up a bit and proceeded to swallowed it whole.

Our last bearded Collie did that on the odd occasion. Pretty impressive to see a rabbit just disappear in one go.

iolo
    Free Member

Whippet’s will chase and kill rabbits. That’s in their nature.
    Make sure it’s not on farmland,especially with sheep on it, or the friendly farmer will introduce your gun to shotgun lead.
    The rabbit will escape and you’ll have one dead dog.

scruff
    Free Member

My Dalmations caught and killed a few. Makes a really wierd hunting noise when he’s chasing them.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

mustard & herbs, then teach him about hare’s

No, that’s hare coursing, which is illegal.

Rabbits, yes. Hares, no

https://www.gov.uk/hunting-and-the-law

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

you have the best mix for a lurcher (imo), dogs bred to kill small mammals, , and your surprised its killing rabbits. To stop it you can either spend a lot of time training it to leave them alone, stop on command, and stay to heal. Or keep it on a short lead, or muzzle it, though thats no guarantee thst it won’t still try to kill things.
    we used to have a whippet/bc cross, it was a brilliant dog as we used it for game hunting, it just couldnt be trusted with anything small and furry unless it was one of our animals, then it just ignored them.

anagallis_arvensis

You own a lurcher it will kill rabbits, mine killed a muntjac in front of a family out for a strole once! You will not stop a lurcher chasing rabbits unless its a regularly worked dog imo. Rabbits are not much of a worry as tbey tend to not stray far from holes so it’ll be a short chase deer and foxrs can take your dog a long way away. It hardly rayes as something worth worrying about imo.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh and the best lurcher mix is clearly 3/8 greyhound, 1/4 whippet, 1/8 boarder collie, 1/8 beardie and 1/8 bedlington!!!!

Marin
    Free Member

I had rabbit salad last week. It was lovely. Don’t know why as a nation we don’t eat more instead of chicken.

waveydave
    Free Member

death is the result from eating too many wabbits

anagallis_arvensis

Rabbit is a bit dry compared to chicken.

Sandwich

Scruff, ours yips like a mad thing when chasing bunny. Only caught mixy ones so far though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘My dog has started killing rabbits..’ is closed to new replies.