Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • my back is ruined – yoga or pilates or something else
  • jools182
    Free Member

Keep having problems with my back mostly due to sitting all day and bad posture

Went for a bit of a run today and my back just felt weak

I’m wondering if yoga or pilates might be a good way to get strength back into it, or maybe some other exercises?

mboy
    Free Member

Similarly ruined my back recently… Combination of all sorts of things, but culminated in me not being able to move at all after a game of cricket yesterday! Couldn’t even contemplate getting on a bike today…

Anyone any advice?

dazh

Go see a physio. I’ve had the same problem, and just having a thorough diagnosis of what the problem is (as opposed to the GP saying you’ve got a bad back) is worth the money in itself. The physio will tell you what exercises you should be doing and will help with getting everything moving again.

MoreCashThanDash

Agree re the physio – last couple of back issues I’ve had have been caused by problems other than my back, so best to keep a note of what the ALL problems are and go and see a physio

ibis
    Free Member

As above, ask u r physio about back strengthening exersizes (core work) and try to adopt a correct seatin postion if u have a desk job, also try to get out of ure seat even if for a few mins at a time, u may have 2 re learn how to change ure posture which take it from me isn’t as easy as It sounds, if u can do these and keep it up u may improve quite a lot, ( until u get lazy as it’s no longer giving u hassle and fall be into bad ways)
    best of luck

clareymorris

Find a good remedial masseur – it’ll probably be muscular….

BillMC

Physio sorted me out after having tried lots of other osteos etc. Standing up is important. A friend who spends a lot of time at his desk had a mechanism fitted whereby the desk rises every 20 minutes and he carries on working whilst standing up. This has reduced the recurrence of back issues.

nickhart
    Free Member

i vote for pilates, the idea of it being purely muscular sounds as though it’s from someone who doesn’t suffer back pain.
    i slipped a disc and the physios got me straight (literally) and then it was up to me to do the pilates religiously.
    our bodies aren’t designed for office life and as a result they don’t work to their best potential.
    hope it helps.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

MrWoppit
    Free Member

dazh +1. From experience.

Just going straight into pilates or yoga could do more harm than good.

imnotverygood

But ultimately, if you want to strengthen/gain flexibilty I can recommend Pilates. I had all sorts of problems with my back, it’s much, much better now after regular pilates.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Get yourself onto all fours then practice tilting your pelvis back and forwards. Then when you’re good at that, add some pelvic floor stuff into it – to do that use your muscles t pull your plums up and tighten your ringpiece.

Other stuff to try is 30s plank, into 30s side plank, into 30s plank, into 30s other side plank – no rests.

If you have any walls in your house that will take your weight – get into the press up position but put your feet on the wall. When you’re in that position take one foot almost to the floor befor returning it to the wall next to the other one – swap legs and see how many you can do – ensuring that your hips stay still throughout.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just going straight into pilates or yoga could do more harm than good.

Yep, I went to regular pilates classes organised by my cycling club, and it made a bad back (which was recovering from fractures caused by a car/bicycle collision) much worse. If you are intending to do pilates then have it on a one to one which deals with your specific injury/problem, not as part of a class.

clareymorris

Nickhart the muscular comment is from someone who partner is a remedial masseur and has successfully treated clients with prolapsed disks……………but defo a yes to pilates too – always 😀

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The principles behind pilates are great and they work really well. However, there are a hell of a lot of shockingly bad instructors out there who “teach” it in a very damaging way.

I did a pilates course a wee while back and fell out with the instructor because what they were doing was not healthy. They were at a level where they were writing books on the subject too…

Jools – does repeated bending forwards, say 10 times, make it worse?

Clareymorris – you sure that remedial massage can fix a prolapsed disc? Sounds like a masseuse not really knowing what they’re doing to me.

clareymorris

I didn’t say he fixed a prolapsed disk —- oh bugger I did I meant POST………..he works well with people who have had disk isses and therefore often have residual muscular issues.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

That makes much more sense.

clareymorris

Luckily he DOES know what he is doing which is more than can be said for my forruming!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if its posture related alexander techniquie is supposed t be very good

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Deffo go to a physio, sports physio possibly even better.

nickhart
    Free Member

sorry to have been negative clarey but i got sent to one of those and he did more harm than good, i know there’s good and bad in everything.
    back pain happens for a reason, posture/lack of strength/whatever but good physio terrorists find that reason and then work on solving it. they help stretch out tightness but give strength at the same time whereas a massage can relieve the pain and tightness but then leaves it possibly prone to reoccuring.
    as for what surrounded by suggests i’m sorry but that would set my back off straight away, it’s actually a very extreme movement to do, especially if that may be the area of weakness anyway!
    my two penneth.
    good luck.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Another vote for sports therapist / physio. I had back pain (amongst other things) caused by a combination of muscle imbalance, and carrying heavy bags over one shoulder on a regular basis which aggrevated the problem. Recovery initially was core strength,working to lengthen shortened muscles (hamstrings / glutes) and strengthen my abdominal area. Then long term compound strength exercises (box squats / rack deadlifts / medicine ball crunch) obviously a ways down the path. I was lucky in that it was all soft tissue, hence vitally important from the outset to make sure its not skeletal else can defo do more harm than good!

ahwiles
    Free Member

jools182 – Member
    Went for a bit of a run today and my back just felt weak

I’m wondering if yoga or pilates might be a good way to get strength back into it, or maybe some other exercises?

how about … running?

frogger
    Free Member

My wife is a pilates instructor and so it is no surprise that I would suggest that route. I am in front of my PC 15hrs a day and have had back issues here and there but since she has put me on a stretching program I have never had any problems since.

You need to find a person that is good at what they do. I have spent money with physio’s, chiropractors, etc. on back issues in the past and they never did anything for me other than lighten my wallet.

Sitting down shortens your hip flexors, hamstrings, etc. and they need to be stretched out. Riding bikes and running in between just shortens the muscles more! Stretching is where it’s at. 🙂

willyboy
    Free Member

My back went before xmas. I went to 3 physio sessions and did exercises twice a day for 2 months. I was back on the bike and running about 3.5 weeks. Since getting better i’ve been to a yoga beginners class once a week and it has helped no end (just watch out for ladies f@rting – it can be a bit of a shock to the system 😯 )

If you sit at a desk all day I would suggest getting a good chair – they may cost a bit, but are well worth it in the long run – we got a Herman Miller Mirra of eBay for about £200 (if your feeling flush you could go for the Aeron) – its really comfy and very adjustable.

clareymorris

Nickhart no need to apoligise everyone is different as are the physios and therapists…….some good some bad some beneficial some not. I see and hear (from his clients not from him) of the good Tom is doing with massage when sometimes physios have been ineffectual…BUT also know of a friend who had a great physio and he sorted him out which was geat to hear. I was just putting it out there as an option and one that I firmly believe to be a valid one given the OP’s description of his issues 😀

tegski
    Free Member

Have iffy back here too – problems with discs. I went to a physio after putting it off for too long and she gave me some stretches and exercises for support. All better in about 3 weeks.
    This included a couple of sessions of twisting me around (which was rather interesting as I had not been that close to anyone stretched over me (except my wife) with my pants off for about 20 years – felt like I should have bought her a drink at least!)
    Summary – find a cycling physio that will know why you have a sore back and still want to get out onto your bike.

grazedknees
    Free Member

Im a physio who is also a pilates teacher who specializes in treating cyclists.
    A combination of pilates, dynamic core work and physiotherapy treatment usually sorts out cycling induced low back pain.

where are you based?

jools182
    Free Member

I’m in New Mills

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘my back is ruined – yoga or pilates or something else’ is closed to new replies.