Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Music: Albums you don't rate that the critics rave about
  • edlong
    Free Member

OK, the converse of that other thread that’s running right now: those albums that the critical consensus have down as definitive, appear in the “50 albums you must own” lists but you think aren’t.

To avoid lots of “anything by <crap boyband>” can we stick to bands that you do actually like, just maybe not the same album as
    the critics?

My starter: Night at the Opera by Queen – personally I prefer most of their other albums (except perhaps Hot Space. Or The Miracle).

findo_gask
    Free Member

OK computer by radiohead. Always makes the best-of lists but I much prefer the bends or some of their more recent stuff.

DickBarton

I was going for ok computer by rdiohead as well…utter bobbins!

PrinceJohn

Anything by Pink Floyd. Or Bruce Springsteen. There’s a lot music I don’t listen to, but I can appreciate why others might…

binners

I can understand why ok computer is so critically acclaimed. And like most people I bought it, and appreciated its a bloody good album. Do I ever listen to it? No. I suspect not many people do.

Similar to Massive Attack – 100th Window. Yes, it’s creative and ground breaking and blah, blah, blah. Would you ever stick the full album on, and listen to it all the way through? Not unless you wanted to be contemplating suicide by the end of it! It’s a long way from Blue Lines

ads678

Dam. Your rules prevent me saying anything by coldplay!!

Actually I liked there first album but fhe rest is just meh.

brooess
    Free Member

All Radiohead albums after OK Computer.
    I respect the way they pushed boundaries and moved away from standard indie guitar. But just don’t find the tunes pleasant, entertaining or even interesting to listen to.

St Anger and that thing with Lou Reed by Metallica. Luckily Death Magnetic gives me faith their songwriting is still decent when they put their minds to it 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

binners, TBF, Blue Lines is the ‘definitive’ one that appears in the lists, I reckon. Rightly so!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I listen to OK Computer, but it was the sounds track the “that” summer in my youth, so possible sentimental attachment coming into play.

Tromp Le Monde is my fave Pixies album.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Music: Albums you don't rate that the critics rave about’ is closed to new replies.