Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Muscle building/body building…
  • bradley
    Free Member

Not body building but I don’t know what else to call it. Basically my future career (I start part-time in March providing I pass the interview on Thursday) involves alot of physical fitness and a degree of upper body strength.

I passed the physical assessment, however, but the basic training course is 2 weeks of the physical assessment day…I ached, alot.

I ached in areas that I don’t use often, shoulders, arms, core. I do alot of cycling so my legs were fine, my cardio was fine but my ‘power’ muscles if you will…not so good.

Tips, tricks, advice? Training ideas? I’m going to the gym twice a week as of last week but is just picking up some weights and using the trainers in there gonna do enough?

sadexpunk

what will the training course consist of? whats your new job?

bradley
    Free Member

It’s a 2 week training course involving the basics for being a fire fighter. Perhaps 2 days of theory, maybe? And 8 days of physical.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

whats your new job?

Fluffer?

Edit: Fluffer in a firemans outfit.

bearnecessities

Food. Food. Food. Lots of it, regularly. Good stuff – lean proteins (mix them up, fish/white meats/pulses & a spot of red meat), non-refined foods (wholegrain)…

Personally I do not trust protein shake stuff, but that’s a thread in itself & personal choice.

bradley
    Free Member

I eat fairly well anyhow, I don’t watch what I eat because my cycling keeps the fat off. Perhaps I shall try too, though…

Duffer
    Free Member

For Strength / Power training, lift 3/4 sets of 8/10 reps at a heavy weight. Concentrate on fast reps for power, smooth controlled reps for strength.

For Muscular Endurance, lift a lighter weight (perhaps 60% of your max) but do 5/6 sets of 20+ reps.

Presumably there’ll be someone at the gym to help you develop a training plan…? You’ve got a timeframe to work to, and 2 months is plenty of time to see some good results. Good luck!

sadexpunk

It’s a 2 week training course involving the basics for being a fire fighter. Perhaps 2 days of theory, maybe? And 8 days of physical.

ah right, nice one 🙂 i assume you retained then yep? which brigade? yeah it can be physically demanding, but if you got a decent level of fitness already im sure youll be fine. i look at some of the lads in our brigade sometimes and think **** me how do you pass your medicals?? 😀

as duffer says, you got plenty of time to get your muscles used to whats coming up (lots of hose rolling and ladder drills :-), so id maybe suggest just a basic full body workout 2 or 3 times a week will set you up just fine.

if you want anything more specific i can point you in the direction of some good workouts. and best of luck in the job mate.

bradley
    Free Member

Excellent Duffer that was kind of what I was looking for. As a matter of fact no I’ll be using the gym at the fire station most local to me but there are a few fitness headed guys in there who may be able to help if I can catch them.

sadexpunk

tentigers full body routine is well recommended for getting decent starter results.

bradley
    Free Member

Where are you based sadex? Yeah retained for now until I’m fully competent retainer then try for fulltime when a job comes up. I’m in Oxfordshire mate. Yeah some of the people who passed the physical assessment I was genuinely shocked managed it but clearly if they can pass they’re good enough. All of the women failed but that’s a different story…

Nothing really specific as of yet mate but I just need muscle build now because I struggled with the heavier weights on my phys assessment day (30kg dumbbell carry, dual hose carry).

I’m 19 so hopefully I’ve got plenty of time to get in and progress…

sadexpunk

im in lincs dood.

good luck with getting in full-time. you certainly got youth on your side, so if at first you dont succeed……
    theres usually some good advice on http://www.fireservice.co.uk forums. if you need any advice on anything to do with applications or the job itself give us a shout 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

For the fire service do own body weight exercises, concentrate on press-ups, dips, chins/pull-ups, sit-ups/crunches.

Bulking up will be counter productive, they want/need functional strength with a good degree of fitness.

….of course if you cant dip or chin your own bodyweight then you will need to go to the gym first and get generally stronger but as soon as you can do this exercises knock the weights on the head.
    I was around 15 stone when i lifted weights for the best part of 10 years….then various joint problems made me take up kick boxing instead…..at that weight for my height (5′ 9″) i was a block and in with the heavyweights who were six footers and had speed and a reach advantage….i gave up the weights and trained at home doing chins, dips, press-ups etc…..bizarrely enough i retained most of my strength but came down to about 12 stone very quickly…..you will find it far easier to get up and down ladders and stairwells if you’re strong but small rather than strong and carrying loads of bulk.

Drink loads of water, dehydrated muscles dont work, lean meats and fish, also eggs for protein (muscle repair and building), fruit and veg, decent carbs (potato, rice, bread, pasta etc) to fuel the newly added lean tissue you will hopefully add.

Good luck, supplements arent necessary at this stage.

brack
    Free Member

A mate of mine who’s been in the FS for 20 yrs swears by the following exercises..

1.Seated biceps curls – low weight high reps…

Specific intended action = lifting armchair placed items.. Mug of tea / coffee, or even the remote.

2. Seated leg raise/ kick backs.. Again low weight- high reps.

Specific intended action = minimises the potential injuries caused by placing legs on to footstool, and or lengthy periods of having legs raised.

Good luck and don’t over do it !!

Duffer
    Free Member

bizarrely enough i retained most of my strength but came down to about 12 stone very quickly

This is an important point – don’t be fooled into thinking that strong muscles need to be big muscles. Look at the 60kg Olympic Powerlifters; they’re only small, but they can lift something like thrice their own bodyweight…

I am unfamiliar with the kinds of equipment that you will be required to work with, but i would be very surprised if there was anything that a fully grown man could not manage, so i don’t think strength is the issue. I would recommend that you focus on Endurance / Conditioning; lower weight, higher reps. This will help get your muscles used to working, and will stop them aching the next day.

Just to add, this is all based on experience; good or bad. I’d recommend you get some advice from a professional. Failing that, Dr Google will provide you with loads of advice and training programs to follow.

trebord
    Free Member

Swimming is great for upper body strength..

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

While I know nothing, I’d have thought lifting unusual and unstable loads e.g slosh pipes, sandbags, doing farmers walks rather than isolation exercises is going to be of benefit + the strongest core and lower back you can create

bearnecessities

I’ve always thought that too – gyms are poor substitutes for building strength to doing useful stuff like digging up a tree stump or carrying a baby elephant.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Seated bicep curls, whole grains, gyms being poor for strength, protein shakes bad for you.

I’m in pain!

firestarter
    Free Member

In our brigade we’ve started testing with uneven weights, which is meant to simulate natural objects non uniform weight distribution I don’t know why they don’t use bags and things to me its asking for injury. But hey what do I know I’m only the watch fitness instructor.

If I were you I’d do own body weight stuff and hump some potatoe sacs around and running up the stairs in the odd highrise is always fun 😉 I’d be wary of trying to bulk in such a short space of time and at your age

I would go to local station and speak to them as they will know better your brigades standards as all different across the country

good luck mate any questions email is in profile

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Muscle building/body building…’ is closed to new replies.