Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Murray is English: FACT
  • jimmy

Some fan on the BBC news this morning dressed in Union Jack regalia, when asked about Murray said ‘it would be great to see an Englishman in the final’, therefore he is. The (very Scottish) SO loved that…

Bravo Old Bean!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

what??? I didnt understand a word of that

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

COME ON, TIM!

Drac

Well given it was acceptable at one time to refer to anyone who was British as English then he can be. Of course the Scot’s spat their dummies out at this and demanded it not be used to refer to al Brits.

Hairychested
    Free Member

He’ll be English if he loses, but British if he wins (an Englishman isn’t allowed to win by definition).

GW
    Free Member

it was never acceptable!! and only ever used by retards!

donald
    Free Member

Well given it was acceptable at one time to refer to anyone who was British as English

Must…. Not…. Bite….

Futureboy
    Free Member

Pardon my ignorance, but when was it acceptable to refer to all Brits as English???

firestarter
    Free Member

i hope hes not . Jumped up bell end 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

As soon as you leave UK everyone knows Great Britain is the country of the English (and emigrants 😉 ).

firestarter
    Free Member

this is true hairy i was often asked when i said i was from leeds if it was near london or manchester lol

miketually
    Free Member

Pardon my ignorance, but when was it acceptable to refer to all Brits as English???

’twas on QI, so it must be true.

druidh
    Free Member

I remember watching the world cup final in 1966 and thinking that “we” were the English. OK, so I was only 7 at the time, but I was completely unaware of the internal divisions in the UK. Didn’t Shell or Esso do a commemerative coin collection soon afterwards – which was, of course, UK wide.

Most foreigners assume English=British and many are unaware that Scotland is actually part of Great Britain at all.

grumm
    Free Member

If he’s not English then why does he wear Fred Perry? 😛

I remember watching the world cup final in 1966 and thinking that “we” were the English.

Typical Scots trying to take the credit for English successes. 😉

uplink
    Free Member

I smiled when Mars changed the name of a Mars bar to ‘believe’ a few years back to coincide with England playing in the world cup – & tried to sell it UK wide

Hairychested
    Free Member

From a foreigner’s PoV:
    English – drink warm, stale beer, eat baked beans, wear 3 Lions shirt
    Welsh – Giggs and sheep
    Scottish – talk funny (like Germans), play stoopid instruments, all are ginger
    Northern Irish – Irish who are English.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

eat studff that isn’t really food – deep fried mars bars, haggis

Futureboy
    Free Member

eat studff that isn’t really food – deep fried mars bars, haggis

Mmmmmm!!! My local chip shop claims to be “the birthplace of the deep fried mars bar”. I have yet to try it! 😉

uplink
    Free Member

“the birthplace of the deep fried mars bar”

deep fried Believe bar, surely?

druidh
    Free Member

DFMBs are fine. I serve them (fun size) with some quality vanilla ice cream.

jimmy

If he’s not English then why does he wear Fred Perry?

Yep, and Henman was actually German.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Henman was German in the past, now he’s Chiswickian.

mcboo
    Free Member

Fred Perry’s were de rigeure for Ska boys all over Scotland early-mid 80s. I had 7 different colours.

grumm
    Free Member

All trying to be English.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Futureboy – you’re in Stonehaven? Do they still do beer’n’barbie nights at the open air pool? mmmm alcohol, hot fat and salt water, a winning combination.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

binbler
    well yeah, that’s because “death by alcohol” used to mean drinking yourself to death, ie cirrhosis and the like, but has now been redefined to include deaths through drink driving, booze fuelled assault and horrifying accidents whilst operating power tools boozed up and naked.
    And as a rsult, there’s more “alcohol related deaths” well, d’uh, who’d have thought?

enfht
    Free Member

Why isn’t he playing in a kilt? Is it because the tartan would break the regs? It isn’t very patriotic of him is it 😯

druidh
    Free Member

Hah – he should be drinking Irn Bru at change-over time too.

Bez

Henman was actually German

That qualifies him as royalty, doesn’t it?

Futureboy
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Sure am. Dunno about the Beer Open Air Pool. Sounds like it’d be a good nite!

igm

Henman was actually German

Aren’t all English actually German (give or take – Anglo-Saxon you know). Britons were the people who were here before the English.

And the Scots come from Ireland – FACT (Dunadd fort was their first capital in mainland Scotland)

AndyP
    Free Member

From a foreigner’s PoV:
    Welsh – Giggs and sheep

almost.
    After conducting an in-depth survey of lots of foreign types, I can confirm that it actually goes as follows:
    Welsh – Inbred leek-crunching cottage-burning yokels who would be better off if somebody just nuked the entire ‘country’

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Can someone explain why some S’s used to be written/printed like an f? I’m sure I could google for an answer but why do it myself when 50 people on STW will race to do it for me?

Thanks

nicko74

It’s true, y’know. Rusedski was English when he won, and American when he lost or took steroids. Lennox Lewis was also English when he won and Scottish when he lost

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

futureboy – you should check it out, there might be something at the pool, they were a great laugh, but like I said, alcohol, hot fat and salt water, I can see the h&s people losing the plot at that.
    The website shows midnight swims, but doesn’t mention the barbie or boozing parts.
    I left about 7 or 8 years ago, but still help out at the fireballs most years. Another brilliant piece of The Hive

Hairychested
    Free Member

AndyP – do you really think anybody REALLY knows where Wales is?

AndyP
    Free Member

good point, well made.

happysnapper
    Free Member

BEB, that’s how they used to be written, not sure why there is a mix of f and s shaped Ss though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Murray is English: FACT’ is closed to new replies.