Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Mudguards – is it a dirty word?
  • Mr-Tango
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

I was thinking I might need to put some mudguards on my Commencal. Does anyone have a set they recommend. Do I want a front fender or crud catcher? Clearly they should stop your shorts getting too wet, but it would be great if they looked good too!!!

This is for weekday riding, to get bike fit, I don’t think I’d use them for a weekend away.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use Crud front and rear in the wet. Ace!

z1ppy

Along with the crud guards add a RRP fork guard in (other brands are available, & so are zipties & cut up inner tubes) & you’ll have a winning combination

marcel
    Free Member

Cruds front and back for me essential when I am mud plugging in this weather.

Marcel

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A fork guard, a bit of inner tube will do, is essential for fast riding in the wet as it keeps 99% of the splash and grit out of your eyes. Will be putting one on for tomorrow.

Garry_Lager

Takes a certain bed-wetting mentality to fit a mudguard to a mountain bike. So if you’ve pished the bed recently, get stuck in to crud guards and the like – I’m sure you will appreciate the benefit. If you’re not a fretful piss merchant, though, I would recommend just riding the bike as God intended. You won’t notice the difference.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Whenever I read comment like that I’m never sure if it’s someone trolling or they really do make people that retarded.

Mr-Tango
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, some more helpful than others.

Off to change my sheets……

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brick, I have a slight fear that the latter is the case.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mugurads are for the sensible amongst us. Why not prevent spray in your eyes and a wet gritty crack?

retro83
    Free Member

Garry_Lager – Member

Takes a certain bed-wetting mentality to fit a mudguard to a mountain bike. So if you’ve pished the bed recently, get stuck in to crud guards and the like – I’m sure you will appreciate the benefit. If you’re not a fretful piss merchant, though, I would recommend just riding the bike as God intended. You won’t notice the difference.

Northwind

These threads always go well :mrgreen:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Superb!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Mudguards – make your bike look shit – keeps you much drier and cleaner, no brainer, but each to their own

jonb
    Free Member

The fork ones, rrp or bender fender are suprisingly effective for “everday use” keeping the mud out of your eyes. If it’s really muddy then I use cycraguards. Best QR system I’ve found for a mudgaurd. Suppliment the bender fender with a downtube crud catcher.

epicyclo

Let’s not be intolerant – it’s ok not to like mudguards.

Some people like dog shit aerosol in their face.

marcel
    Free Member

Some people like dog shit aerosol in their face

😆

Mr-Tango
    Free Member

Thanks epicyclo, it’s a moot point; will my bike look sh*ter with mudguards or sh*t on it? 😀

Anyhow, I’ve just bought some, it was the wet gritty crack that I had last time that sold it for me. I can only imagine some people spend longer looking at their bikes than riding them.

Garry_Lager

Let’s not be intolerant – it’s ok not to like mudguards.

Some people like dog shit aerosol in their face.
    Piiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

When you wet the bed first it is warm then it gets cold. His mother put on the oilsheet. That had the queer smell.

Garry_Lager

Thanks epicyclo, it’s a moot point; will my bike look sh*ter with mudguards or sh*t on it?

Anyhow, I’ve just bought some, it was the wet gritty crack that I had last time that sold it for me. I can only imagine some people spend longer looking at their bikes than riding them. I think you know you’ve done wrong there, Mr Tango. It is implicit in your first post – you’d use them for weekday riding, but obviously not for weekend riding where someone might see you.

Some people evidently get very anxious about getting muddy on a ride, which is OK, understandable. Mudguards are a false, but reassuring, solution. Anxiety is contagious, though, and you should resist the urge to join in if you’re not built that way.

steffybhoy
    Free Member

The Brick? seconded!

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I forgot to fit my mudguard on my fork after servicing recently, and when I descended some sections of trail @ 30+ mph, the crap getting thrown in my eyes was a bit of a problem.
    Not seeing corners at speed is a bit of a handicap when you’re trying to ride fast DH, so anyone that disses use of mudguards can’t be riding that fast.
    It’s fine to make statements about how “old skool” you are because you like to get covered in mud,( been there, done that, ridin faster now I can see with mudguards) But if you’re going fast and you can’t see, you’re going to crash. And I am “old skool” so you can’t bullshit me MOFO.
    So why don’t you peddle your shit to a different audience, coz this one ain’t buyin it. I’ve got shit guards fitted.
    Peace and love man.
    Cop u later fella.

user-removed
    Free Member

My mate once said to me, “What do you want to be comfortable for? You’re mountain biking!”. He said this as I was whinging about having wet feet after cycling through the pond in the car park at Inners.

That said, I use one of the fender bender wee mudguards to keep the carp out of my contact lenses and wish I’d fitted one years ago. I also use a rear guard (anything will do) when it’s wet.

EDIT: in your face, MOFO 😀

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

You need a serious guard to keep CARP outta yo face dude! that’s hard core to the Maxx.
    The puddle next to the car park at Inners is the river. You been ridin under water? Props 2 u man, U got it goin on!!

Northwind

Tweed’s more of a trout river isn’t it?

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I wouldn’t describe the local ladies in such a fashion. 😕 That would, on the face of it amount to sexism and racial discrimination. 😕
    Shame on you, young man! 😯

hugor
    Free Member

Agree with above. There’s nothing worse than stopping all the time to get shit out of your eyes when your thrashing some sweet singletrack.
    Its a bit dangerous too.
    Glasses don’t work either as the crap just gets on them and blocks your vision too.
    I’m using a RRP neoprene guard and it blocks alot of stuff. I’m going to fit a crud guard as well.
    Mountain biking is about the riding and not the posing. I don’t care if my bike doesn’t look as nice with a guard on.
    People against them are obviously more concerned about how they look rather than how they ride.
    Perhaps they should consider another sport like figure skating.

trout
    Free Member

Tweed’s more of a trout river isn’t it?

Oih leave me out of it ( Or in it 😉 )

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

At the cafe on a wild wet day:

“Hello Sir, please come in and take a seat. I can take their order but your dirty chums will have to sit outside”.

Sir loved his mudguards!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards – is it a dirty word?’ is closed to new replies.