Home Forums Bike Forum Mudguard on Vagabond – change front mech?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mudguard on Vagabond – change front mech?
  • matt_outandabout

I’m fitting SKS Al 50mm mudguards to my 2020 Genesis Vagabond. SRAM X5 mech with Apex shifter, 2x.

I knew from other forum posts about missing the seatstay bridge mount, I can solve that with zipties.

What I can’t get around is the amount of space the X5 front mech needs behind the seatpost.

Will any front mech fit?

I know Shimano has a much more compact fitting….

Genesis Vagabond, SRAM X5 and Mudguard - don't play nicely...

Genesis Vagabond, SRAM X5 and Mudguard - don't play nicely...

matt_outandabout

The underlying question is of course will a Shimano mech play with Apex shifter on SRAM 2x chainset?

trail_rat
    Free Member

It it was me I’d just trim + secure the mudguard above the front mech to seattube.

Then make a flexible cover over between mudguard and bridge over the mech out of inner tube to deflect the run off

matt_outandabout

Hmmm, I like that idea. With the added advantage of the rear of the guard dropping lower if I don’t trim, just rotate it back…

matt_outandabout

Well that’s worked, thank you @trail_rat. I also need to drill a couple of holes for the mounting of the flexible cover – I’ve bodged at present, will drill if it all works…

The only issue is my rack is too close and the guard will rattle against it. New rack needed. 😉

midlifecrashes

That’s when you ziptie the guard to the rack, no rattles, more secure guard. Win, win.

matt_outandabout

Indeed – I’m just going to ride it a few times to check it’s all good, then I’ll drill and ziptie it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Over the years I have had that problem several times. Once I cut out a small hole in the guard. Some SRAM mechs take up less space. That looks like one I had the same problem with recently. Solved that by mounting a nice Campag triple mech. Better than the original.

Trimming the guard is a last resort as you get crap all over the frame etc.

matt_outandabout

An update on what works on a Vagabond!

I’ve spent 10 months faffing with a zip on tied on mudguard. To keep it rattle free it needs a lot of tension, and that meant that the zip ties have broken a few times.

Solution is: Shimano side swing front mech and some p-clamps.

PXL_20240822_180345194PXL_20240822_185941053PXL_20240822_180334123

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.