Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mucky Nutz Bender Fender ~ Aye or Nay
  • ragger
    Free Member

In an attempt to winterize my steed I thought I should probably invest in some mudguards, The Bender Fender is appealing to me the most at the moment, has anyone used one or had any experience with one? Do they do the muck repellent job? Also, any other tips for setting the bike up for winter riding conditions? Cheers

Rags

nealy
    Free Member

Yes they are the shizzle, mine stays on all year. Fit a crud catcher and rear guard when it’s wet but be prepared to get a load of e-abuse for not being rad and having the brown stripe of gnar on your arse

ahwiles
    Free Member

very good.

match it with a crud-catcher.

the CC stops the filth that’s thrown directly up at your face. The muckynut stops the filth that your tyre throws forward, that you then ride into while it’s still in the air.

zelak999
    Free Member

What nealy says.

hilldodger
    Free Member

And offers good grot protection for the fork stanchions as well 🙂

ragger
    Free Member

Sweet, i have to say it looks the bollocks on most of the rigs iv seen it on…

damascus
    Free Member

I have a marsh guard on my forks all year round, it stops crap getting in the seals and increases their performance and lifespan. They only weigh about 30 grams too. I wanted a mucky nuts but the marsh guard was going cheap.

I still get mud in my eyes but when forks cost well over 500 quid why would you not have a mudguard that costs less than a Tenner?

On my bike I think it actually looks pretty cool.

ART

Totally brill – get the XL one for proper front ‘fender’ protection and (depending on your frame) spin the bender fender round as a rear to stop too much crud getting on your dropper if you run one. Speedy postal service + mini haribo – what’s not to like 🙂

akira

Love mine, small and simple.

BadlyWiredDog

Second the XL one. Out back, the Mudhugger is huge and ugly but devastatingly effective.

northernmatt

I got one months back when they were knocking them out for a fiver. I pair it with a neoguard. If you do get a neoguard put it on backwards otherwise all the mud goes on the velcro and they don’t last as long, also stop it from creating a shelf on top of the fork arch for mud to gather on.

ajt123
    Free Member

For the front yes. For the back, no.

Alex

kimbers

I like, but they dont last that long ime a lot of claggy mug, stones ect can get jammed in there and chew them up a bit

timbur
    Free Member

Just bought an XL for the Mrs as she’s complaining about water in the face on her commute.
    There’s a sale section on the Mucky Nutz webpage with some cheap deals!
    Tim

Hohum
    Free Member

Go for it.

I had one and it worked well.

Two finger salute to the no mudguard brigade! Pffft!

Northwind

Big aye, mine only come off when it’s manky enough for the shockboards to go on. I’ve cracked a couple mind, could be tougher but that’s minor.

fbk
    Free Member

Another yes here. Almost as effective as a Neoguard/innertube job but way better looking. Bit ott to use all the other stuff (crud catcher etc) as well though (imho 😉 )

nealy
    Free Member

There is sod all clearance between my fork brace and nearly too big tyre so proper mucky nutz only lasted one ride before they got ripped apart. The one I made out of 1mm polycarbonate has lasted 6 months with just scratches, if they made them out of stronger plastic I wouldn’t need to make my own but then they would sell fewer. For fairness the original lasted ages with a smaller tyre and more clearance and they are great.

pipiom
    Free Member

Got the front and rear….all of the above for the front and the rear, seat fitted one does a pretty good job of limiting “brown stripe….. pack still gets it and you’ll get a bit of a mini- token brown ass when you’re standing up but both well worth it

FOG

I have one on the FS and an XL on the HT and yes they help but they are not the complete answer. I still get mud measles on the face but nowhere near the quantity when using nothing or just a neoguard. Crud catcher makes it even better but nothing will completely stop you getting wet to some degree. Having said that I did a really claggy event recently and the finish marshals were commenting how clean I was compared to most finishers!

dantsw13

Big yes from me. It just sits there and does its job.

honourablegeorge

fbk – Member

Another yes here. Almost as effective as a Neoguard

Having used the Neoguard and Marsh Guard, the Marsh Grard stops just as much gunk, but also keeps crap off the fork seals. It’s deffo the better option. Marsh Guard is longer than the Bender Fender, which maybe makes the difference.

BadlyWiredDog

There is sod all clearance between my fork brace and nearly too big tyre so proper mucky nutz only lasted one ride before they got ripped apart. The one I made out of 1mm polycarbonate has lasted 6 months with just scratches, if they made them out of stronger plastic I wouldn’t need to make my own but then they would sell fewer. For fairness the original lasted ages with a smaller tyre and more clearance and they are great.

The Mudhugger front is pretty obviously Mucky Nutz inspired, or looks that way, but made from much thicker moulded plastic, possibly slightly less clearance as a result.

I’ve found the XL fine in the Peak with a RS Rev and 2.5 Minion DHF, but then there’s not much claggy mud. I holed one on my singlespeed at a quagmire Mayhem though in the space of six or seven muddy laps. I guess it depends somewhat on the type of mud 😉

nealy
    Free Member

The Mudhugger front is pretty obviously Mucky Nutz inspired, or looks that way, but made from much thicker moulded plastic, possibly slightly less clearance as a result.

I’ve found the XL fine in the Peak with a RS Rev and 2.5 Minion DHF, but then there’s not much claggy mud. I holed one on my singlespeed at a quagmire Mayhem though in the space of six or seven muddy laps. I guess it depends somewhat on the type of mud

My tyre would jam solid with a mudhugger, my fork is a 2006 or 2007 Reba made for tiny XC tyres…so I put a 2.4 Chunky Monkey in 😀 The guard is to protect the fork brace from being worn away as much as it is to keep me clean 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mucky Nutz Bender Fender ~ Aye or Nay’ is closed to new replies.