Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • MTB shorts for small waist
  • mjsmke

Looking for some new shorts but the last few pairs I’ve bought have needed altering to reduce the waist down.

Any recommendations for shorts with a 28 inch waist to suit someone at 5ft 5?

handybar
    Free Member

TBH you are probably asking this on the wrong forum….48inch shorts, maybe.

aP
    Free Member

Are you wanting big fluoro shorts or smaller scaled ones?
    pedalEd make slim shorts, as do rapha, or for slightly baggier ones patagonia, overland or 7mesh.

gkeeffe

Freewheel.co.uk have some cheap £35 water proof ones in small that are excellent

igm

My son is 28” waist (31-32” here) and has XS Humvees. I take large, mainly fur to my thighs.

salad_dodger

I’m a 28″ waist & the XS Humvees work for me.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gore XC trail type ones in either small or extra small will do nicely as them come up slim

niceandy
    Free Member

I’m a similar waist size and tend to struggle as well.

I find that Noronna shorts are good fitting and decent leg length, but pricey at RRP. Sweet Protection are also pretty good.

I have Alpinestars trousers 28in waist that fit well, so expect the shorts should be good too.

mjsmke

Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered a pair of xs Hummvees.

mjsmke

Accidentally ordered the wrong colour and now can’t find anywhere with them in stock.

So, looking for shorts again.

Size: XS
    Not too long (I’m 5ft 5)
    Not black or anything dayglow.

Anyone know anywhere who has something in stock?

liam1974

I wish this was a problem I suffered with😕

isitafox
    Free Member

Check out One Industries, I just ordered my son a pair of shorts and long sleeve top off Ebay for £45 for the pair. Some nice designs as well so will probably treat myself at some point!

mjsmke

Thanks but there’s none available. Only the very long ones which make me look like a hobbit. Looking for shorts that stop at or before the knee.

mjsmke

Found and ordered some One Industries XC shorts off ebay with a 28 inch waist which arrived today. Very poor design as the leg and bum was way too tight and no stretch to them at all, and i’m not a big build! The waist however, fit fine.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

If you’re still looking – how about something from Madison? They reckon their small size fits 27.5-29in waist. I have a 31in waist and have a few pairs of Zeniths in medium which are a good fit round the waist – but they do have a decent amount of adjustment (elasticated waist & velcro) so can be pulled in a fair bit.

mick_r

Keep an eye out for Decathlon getting these back in stock. They used to do blue as well as black.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/700-mountain-bike-shorts/_/R-p-4692

They are like an xc racer’s baggy short. Stretchy material and very well designed / made / minimal / fast drying / cheap. Decathlon come up small on the sizing – I’m 30″ waist and can just about wear the small (due to the stretch) but more comfortable in medium. 28″ waist would be perfect in the small and the leg length probably perfect for your height.

Somebody really nailed the design details – minimal but easy to use waist adjustment tabs, and flat zip pockets, angled so things don’t jangle around or drop out if you leave the zip open.

riklegge

28″ waist here too, my preferred shorts are the Sweet Protection Hunter, although they are knee / slightly below knee length. I’ve had Madison shorts which fit really well and might well be better on length for you, I had a problem with the popper breaking on them, they didn’t have a replacement pair so I ended up getting the pair for free.

Another option I liked was the Troy Lee Skyline in 28 waist, they seemed to fit pretty well.

nbt

I have Tenn protean waterproof shorts in medium and they’re a very snug fit at 30″ waist.

Small should fit you perfectly. Not sure if they do non waterproof options as that’s what I was looking for, but i’d be surprised if they didn’t. got mine via tenn store on Ebay

mmannerr

It’s been decades since that was my waist measurement but I know Norrona size XS is too small for 28″ jeans using youth, Gore size S is quite tight fit and RF size S is much wider but can be cinched to fit.

mjsmke

how about something from Madison?

I really like the look of them but they’re too long for me. I thought their trail shorts were 3/4 until I read “also available in 3/4”

mjsmke

Race Face shorts are also like 3/4 on me.

mjsmke

Are These normal or 3/4 length? The photo of the grey pair look normal but the blue and black photos look 3/4. Same with their Zenith shorts where one photo looks a different length.

mjsmke

Anyone know?

Tried to order a pair of Zenith shorts but no stock about other than what looks like 3/4 length.

Really struggling to find anything with the following criteria:

28 inch waist.
    Not too long (want my knees exposed)
    Not black of dayglow.
    For cyclists legs.

mjsmke

£20 PayPal gift prize for the first person to find any shorts that fit me that meet the above criteria, and in stock for UK delivery.

salad_dodger

Why not just get a pair that fit you round the waist and then get the leg length (of the shorts rather than your legs) shortened? Round here there’s quite a few places that do adjustments for just a couple of £££ so might be worth a go?

mjsmke

Why not just get a pair that fit you round the waist and then get the leg length (of the shorts rather than your legs) shortened?

I’m happy to do that. As long as it doesn’t mean losing half of the pockets. Even then, I can’t find anything with a 28 inch waist.

LAP13
    Free Member

Shredly?!
    Not cheap and if getting direct subject to import duty etc

mjsmke

Shredly?!
    Not cheap and if getting direct subject to import duty etc

Not available in the UK.

mjsmke

If anyone has any shorts they want to sell I’ll happily pay a premium for them.

mjsmke

If anyone has a pair of Madison Zenith shorts (old style) not the 3/4 newer style, in blue, size small, I’ll pay £100 plus postage.

salad_dodger

How about Madison Trail Short? Cyclestore.co.uk has some in camo size small. Buy them and get your scissors out! The other alternative is to buy female shorts which is worth a gamble surely?

mjsmke

The other alternative is to buy female shorts which is worth a gamble surely?

I had thought about that. They look a similar shape to Endura Hummvees (waist smaller than the hips).

I’m just surprised with the current sizes of shorts. So many size small are 32 inches. Non cycling clothing starts at 28, sometimes even 26!

Tracey

Most of mine and my daughters shorts are small mens, Usually bought in the sales. My waist is 28 and she is a tad smaller. Got loads of pairs between us but non for sale as yet. Other daughter has to go with XS but still managed to get them.

Stif have some Dakine stuff in their sale at the moment as do Sports Persuit

I have some of these

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/clothing/legwear/madison-roam-shorts–maritime-blue_482040

Have a look on Start Fitness for Madison and Scott both men and womens

mjsmke

I have some of these

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/clothing/legwear/madison-roam-shorts–maritime-blue_482040

They look like 3/4 to me. I’m looking for shorts.

Tracey

They are just above my knee, do you know what inside length leg of shorts you are after.

thekettle
    Free Member

Check the Flare outlet, I use their DH and Enduro 28 inch shorts, they’re very well made and a massive bargain at the reduced price. You’ll likely need to hem them to above the knee to get the length you want but it won’t interfere with any pockets and for the price and quality I would do it:
    https://flareclothingco.com/product-category/outlet/

mjsmke

They are just above my knee, do you know what inside length leg of shorts you are after.

9 or 10 inches.

mjsmke

By chance I found some Madison Zeniths in blue on ebay. New for £40. They are very nice shorts and feel well made. The phone pocket on the back is well placed too.

Size small fits my waist with the velcro adjusters on the sides. They are still quite long so will need to to take off about 3 inches from the legs.

chrisyork

Can I just say, I’m jealous of your small waist, speaking from a 35” 😆

nickc

Mission workshop Traverse I’ve got these in 32 in waist and they fit your criteria. Yes there are stupid expensive, but mine are at least 5 years old now,  but still look and feel like new. I know that Stif used to stock them, they may have your size cheaper that direct?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘MTB shorts for small waist’ is closed to new replies.