Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • MTB Coast to Coast Route & Equipment Advice (St Bees to Robinhood)
  • bloxster
    Free Member

Am planning on riding the MTB coast to coast in the next few weeks, and would welcome any advice people may have on route choice and any special equipment people recommend. I currently have the wheelwrights book, by Tim Woodcock, and was planning to do the ride over 4 days, however am a little unsure on what’s the best route to take, as have also seen a route in MBR that is slightly shorter, however may be more off road, as the wheelwright route appears to be around 35% road.

Also how many days do most people do the ride over, and do you recommend youth hostels, or B&B’s

Any advice greatly received.

shortcut

5 or 6 days if doing the Scottish one from Glenelg to Montrose.

there are however a number of alternatives – St Bees to robin Hoods Bay or there abouts you can do one going across Devon / Cornwall so Exmoor and dartmoor or you can go from Weston Supermare to Eastborne.

B&B's or Hostels will both look after you well. I just depends on how much you spend and what is convenient.

uplink
    Free Member

I think he means the Wainwright derived English offroad coast to coast

crazy-legs

Tim Woodcock book is quite old now but it's the St Bee's -> Robin Hoods Bay route.
    My copy of that book has done the C2C about 5 times with various different folk! You might find some of the details in there a bit out of date. I know a couple of people vary the route slightly to avoid Black Sail Pass.

Dalesbikecentre

Bloxter

Woodcocks follows Pennine Way from Tan Hill into Swaledale and along the river. He then goes over Apedale Head from Low Houses then back into Swaledale over Greets Top. Can easily be missed out if you're after a slightly easier day by continuing from Low Houses to Grinton then to us at Fremington.

If your planning a night near Reeth check us out £24 bunk and breakfast, bike worshop/secure bike store/bike wash and Stu knocking out breakfast in the morning (a good thing honestly!)Dales Bike Centre

Have a good'un

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘MTB Coast to Coast Route & Equipment Advice (St Bees to Robinhood)’ is closed to new replies.