Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mtb around Glen Affric area. (1st post on forum).
  • beanie1980
    Free Member

I’m off to my sister’s who lives in Cannich on Sunday for the week and taking my mountain bike. Just need to know of some decent routes in the area without having to use the car. I’ve done route out to The Glen Affric youth hostel and around the loch itself, and around Dog Falls. I have a decent level of fitness and not to fussy about distances. Thanks.

druidh
    Free Member

You should be able to put a route together from Tomich to Cougie, SW over the pass to the main road (A87) along there for a bit then back over the right of way to Tomich. I’m on mobile at the moment otherwise I could be a bit more specific.

beanie1980
    Free Member

Is that across Glen Moriston, if so done that also last year?

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – it would take you along the A887 in Glen Moriston.
    From Cougie you can also head NW and pick up the track down to Loch Affric that way.

beanie1980
    Free Member

Is the track down to Loch Affric from Cougie easy to find? Been told off a few locals that its well hidden?

martinxyz
    Free Member

There’s a good ride that starts at Chisolms Bridge and heads in a counter clockwise loop that skirts around Am Meallan. They only thing is, there’s a bit of a river crossing further up in the hills. You Will no doubt get wet feet! There’s also about 3 gates to hoist the bike over. Once 3/4’s of the way round,you are greeted with some of the best scenery in Scotland overlooking Loch Affric (from above the Lodge) before tackling the loose,rocky-ish argocat type track back down to Affric Lodge.

I tried it out years ago to see what it was like having spotted it on the map. Not sure if anyone else has been round with a bike but I enjoyed it a lot as the scenery is great and you really get away from it all by heading up there.

Beware – It is an old school type of ride. Don’t expect groomed trails or Torridon style walkers tracks all the way around.. and like I said,you will be crossing a river further up so depending on how deep it is.. you might want to turn back!
    There’s a few soggy sections,the river crossing further up and the bike lifting at the gates but it doesn’t stop me from going back for more.

supremebean
    Free Member

The track from Cougie to Affric is easy to find, i think its sign posted. I thought it was pretty crap, wouldn’t do it again.

Although it may be better just now when the ground’s frozen.

Edit: the terrain was crap, the views were spectacular.

druidh
    Free Member

Cougie to GA is ok but the signpost at the GA end is in the wrong place!

fannybaws
    Free Member

Welcome to the forum. Good area to be asking questions about I am watching with interest.

beanie1980
    Free Member

Martinxyz, I will definitely have a look at this as I turned back from the route due to poor weather in march. Thanks.

supremebean
    Free Member

I think this is the near the start of the descent from Cougie to Affric. Mobile phone pic!

beanie1980
    Free Member

Anyone tried going through the Glen and onto Kintail? My brother in law done the Highland Cross race in the summer and says it would good on bike. I’m a bit doubtful as he’s a good runner but not a biker.

druidh
    Free Member

* cough *

Classic by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

druidh
    Free Member

It’s a classic MTB route (one I’ve yet to complete). DO NOT be tempted to escape down An Caorann Mor to the Cluanie Inn.

I have a few photos of the area in this set on Flickr.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/druidh2000/sets/72157607210625132/

and a blog about my ride here: http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/p/loch-loyne-and-atlantis-bridge.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mtb around Glen Affric area. (1st post on forum).’ is closed to new replies.