Home Forums Bike Forum Mrsmidlife head on collision while commuting :(

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Mrsmidlife head on collision while commuting :(
  • midlifecrashes

Edit: there were pictures of her bike here when I pressed “Submit”.

midlifecrashes

midlifecrashes

" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

midlifecrashes

joshvegas
    Free Member

Gotthere in the end!

Hows mrsmidlife

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hope she’s ok. But I can’t be alone in thinking….that stems done well at that extension.

scaredypants

How’s mrsmidlife ?

^ that

stumpy01

Hope she’s ok. Bike looks ok apart from the fork?!

timba
    Free Member

Hope she’s okay, the state of her bike is a worry given that she was on it

matt_outandabout

Oooft, that’s not so good midlifecrashes.
    How is she?

N=1 for her now. I wouldn’t trust the head tube after a fork being whacked like that.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m asking this assuming MrsMLC is okay? and hoping she is…….but is she middle aged?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hope she’s ok. But I can’t be alone in thinking….that stems done well at that extension.

Stainless steel normally on those they’re mega solid. And mega long, will be a fair bit of insertion still i imagine.

scotroutes

Bike looks ok apart from the fork

When do your new contact lenses arrive?

midlifecrashes

Grazed and bruised knee. She rode it home like that and asked me to sort it saying the steering felt a bit off. The fork is split down the trailing edge and the top tube to headtube join has a fold under the paint

The opposite party was on a BMX. He continued on his way after the impact, neither of them hit the ground but he left a head shaped divot in the front wicker basket (not pictured).

I had a quick rummage in the garage, got the toolbox out and after half an hour of fettling presented her with this so she can ride to work tomorrow.

Can you spot what magic I have worked?

jkomo

Hope She is okay.

scaredypants

photoshop?

matt_outandabout

It’s a good wind up for a few on here?

midlifecrashes

I promise the second photo shown was taken after the first.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You have increased the sum assured on her life assurance then bent the forks back?

bikesandboots

he left a head shaped divot in the front wicker basket

If only she’d been on a bike with a metal head tube badge, there could have been a nice little imprint on his forehead.

oceanskipper

Glad she’s relatively OK.

Put the forks on the right way round this time?

mick_r

It doesn’t appear to be the same fork and frame…… Various marks have disappeared and things like the rear kick stand aren’t bolted in the same place. So maybe it is a different bike or you’ve swapped the frame and fork? ?

midlifecrashes

Winner winner chicken dinner!

The old bike is toast and this one belongs to our eldest who rides it half a dozen times a year, I wiped off the dust and set the seat and bar height to suit.

We love these things in our house, I have the men’s version as my town and pub bike. Fully enclosed chain and Sturmy gears so only oil it if you have to take the back wheel out for a puncture. I’ll pick up another for her from eBay or Marketplace when one comes up within half an hour’s drive for seventy five quid or less. There’s always dozens about, they were the staple Halfords town bike for around a decade. There’s a nice looking one in Cumbria on auction for £20 and one in Kent with a buyitnow of £25.88 but too far for those.

jca

top tube still looks somewhat out of whack…

bikesandboots

top tube still looks somewhat out of whack…

The crashed look is fashion right now ;)

Privateer 141

martymac

Rear tyre looks a bit soft at the bottom, rest of it looks fine though.

thebunk

this one belongs to our eldest who rides it half a dozen times a year

I can’t imagine why ever not a youthful person wouldn’t be positively delighted to ride it most often what what

(glad the mrs is ok)

midlifecrashes

Oh they are deeply uncool, but cheap, nothing to get bent or bashed on bike racks and bike thieves leave them alone. We could have Pashleys or Gazelles but they wouldn’t last long locked up outside somewhere . The right tool for the job. Proper dutch upright for bowling along too, she’s done a fifty mile charity ride on the dead one.

mick_r

It was like a spot the difference competition :-)

Glad everything worked out alright.

The ultimate utility bikes are ones you can ride in normal clothes and fearlessly abandon outside the shops.

kayak23

I bought one of those second hand for the other half.
    Great bikes for the money.

Glad she’s ok.

stumpy01

scotroutes

When do your new contact lenses arrive?

Go on then @scotroutes – apart from the bent back fork, where are the obvious crash damage differences between the old one & the new one, from those photos?

Certainly not obvious from a quick glance.

fossy

50 miles on one of them – Is Mrs Midlife a crazy person.

desperatebicycle

The opposite party was on a BMX. He continued on his way after the impact

I had similar on my commute a little while ago. Though, thankfully just a new front wheel for my Titanium bike with carbon forks.. the mudguard appeared to designed for such an impact..

Bloody cyclists! And yes, I am aware of the irony of the sign he very nearly nutted!

https://youtu.be/i1bHPZwp6fA

midlifecrashes

You can’t Parka there mate!

desperatebicycle

Never noticed the parka before . lol ! Maybe he works outdoors!

disco_stu
    Free Member

What bike is it as it looks like they could make an ideal bike for my other half?

FormerMountainBiker
    Free Member

Love the Rembrandt panniers.

midlifecrashes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=real+classic&_sacat=177831&_odkw=real&_osacat=177831

The brand is Real, model Classic. If you find a Classic Deluxe it’s a different colour with additional dynohub and lights.

The pannier bags are from the gift shop at the Rijksmuseum, Willex brand.

belugabob
    Free Member

Just imagine that you bought the bike from Halfords and turn the forks by 180 degrees…

tthew

@desperatebicycle looks like your fellow crashee was going pretty quick, but why were you on the right hand side of the path? I’d be pretty pissed off if I was the other riders TBH.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.