Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MRI Scans
  • smiffkin

I've been told I need an MRI scan to look at a neck problem I've got. Has anyone had one? I've heard they can be unpleasant, but it seems as though you just lay down in a tunnel for 20 mins. Am I being too optimistic?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

They're fine, it's a bit noisy but you get head phones for that. it's a bit claustrophobic as bits are quite close and you have to stay very still to get the best results.

I've had several and even spent over an hour in one once for a high res brain scan!

Nothing to worry about though!

hicksville
    Free Member

Yep several, it the very very worst it is noisy and slightly claustrophbic, in reality it is fine, lie back close your eyes and go to sleep

smiffkin

Thanks TD. I wasn't too worried until I mentioned it to some people at work and they rolled their eyes in horror! One bloke said he paniced as he realised that if the operator died he'd be stuck in there. Obviously that happens alot!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the reality check.

smiffkin

Thanks TD. I wasn't too worried until I mentioned it to some people at work and they rolled their eyes in horror! One bloke said he paniced as he realised that if the operator died he'd be stuck in there. Obviously that happens alot!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the reality check.

firestarter
    Free Member

nowt to it mate

smiffkin

Whoops, must have hit the button twice!
    And thanks to Hicksville too. I'm now feeling much better. It sounds as I thought it might be….before I spoke to the worriers at work.

allthepies
    Free Member

You just lie down in the scanner chamber and that's it. Yes it makes weird noises and there's not exactly much room but c'mon! And you're not sealed into the scanner you could easily slide yourself out if world war 3 broke out and the operator did a runner 🙄

smiffkin

Yeah, I didn't really think you'd be wedged in….unless you're the 21 stone (???) maximum for scanning.

clump
    Free Member

Smiffkin,
    I am a radiographer, and do these scans all day and night (when on call). Shouldn't be any problems. 6ft long 50cm wide tunnel, open at both ends. Machine is noisy but ear defenders should deaden this (some places even play the radio). There's a "panic" button so if you do feel nervous you can summon someone- no one that I know/knew has ever died while scanning, and we do not tend to work alone.

The worst patients for compliance are ex-rugby players.

Only ever heard on one patient getting stuck in a scanner and that was in Japan, over a bank holiday weekend, but they managed to crawl out.

You'll be fine.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Take a CD to listen to, they can put one on & pipe it through to you. I took a chilled out relaxing one, hoping i might be able to nod off for 10mins but no chance, it was too loud – still helped though. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

MRI scans are, feel a bit vibraty and odd but not unpleasant. Just dint ask me about the injection to put the dye in my hips beforehand, now that really made my toes curl

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MRI Scans’ is closed to new replies.