Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MP3 player radio tuner things
  • guitarmanjon
    Free Member

You know them gadgets that you plug your MP3 player into and it broadcasts the MP3 player output over FM radio (only a few metres mind)?

Anyone got one or can recommend one? Got a long drive (up to Skye) coming up soon and want plenty of music to take in the car. This seems like a cheap/easy way of doing it. Ideally want one with a 3.5mm plug/socket rather than a connector for a particular type of MP3 player.

Cheers,
    jon

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Watching with interest, as I'm also thinking of this. Have just seen a really clever dual input USB charge that plugs in to the cigar (natch!) lighter in your car, so would be a good addition, I reckon.

porterclough
    Free Member

Make sure you get one that broadcasts on more than one frequency and set up a couple or more presets on both the gizmo and your radio as you get interference from different radio stations as you drive around the country.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I got my sister in law this one (at least I think it was this one):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Tunecast-Adapter-Black-iPod/dp/B000F37GOU

It didn't work brilliantly but her car (Ford Ka) didn't really have anywhere to tuck the mp3 player nice and close to the stereo so she ended up wrapping it round the mirror in a pretty terrifying fashion! I've had mates who've used them with more success.

She bought a new car about a month after I bought her it and the new car has an mp3 plug

Milkie
    Free Member

I've got one. Bought from Fleabay for under £5, you can select any frequency you want, and has a built in temperature sensor woooh!

As for the quality of the sound… It's not that great, comparable to 128kb mp3, with a little hissing. With some cars you may get a whining type of noise that goes in tune with the revs.

This one

I think you can get Bluetooth ones too.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

This one looks interesting. I like the idea of being able to plug in a USB drive or SD card. That'll save on phone battery (current MP3 player). Also has the option of a 3.5mm insert.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Cheers for that link Milkie. Just ordered one. Not bad for £7.

Wiksey
    Free Member

If you're going a long distance I predict that by the time you get there you will be wondering why you wasted your money.
    The best stereo purchase I have ever made is a head unit that has a 3.5mm socket on the front for MP3 player conectivity and plays Bluetooth audio from my phone. It's a Sony unit that also plays MP3 disks which means a good 6 or 7 hours on a disk too. All that in one package fitted for about £100 makes long car journeys bearable, I tried those FM transmitters and I never found a good one.

Milkie
    Free Member

Wikesey is right, that you may have to tune it while on the go, but it isn't too hard, press a button on the tranny, press another on your stereo and it should be re-tuned. Hell of a lot cheaper than a new headunit, but they do provide so much extra these days. I wish I could upgrade mine.

BTW my transmitter works at over 10 metres away. I wouldn't advise using it for hands free calling, as everyone could possibly listen in on your conversations by tuning their radios.

nickc

I've got the same one as Handsome dog. Seems to work OK when you can get a clear signal, drawbacks? It's a cigar lighter, plus the tuner plus associated leads plus your MP3 player (lots of kit basically) it's got (obviously) the same range as all the other radio broadcasters 88 – 107 ish, so finding a clear signal is sometimes a bit of a struggle. 'part from that good bit of kit…

Will get a new head eventually though…

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

If the car was mine or the GF would let me put in a new head unit then that'd be problem solved. But it's not and she won't. The £13 I've spent on the transmitter, car plug adapter for phone and dual socket is money well spent for now as far as I'm concerned. I'll report back after the trip…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MP3 player radio tuner things’ is closed to new replies.