• This topic has 30 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Mower carb cleaner
  • Stoner
    Free Member

My Honda 4str mower engine is sounding a little unwell.

Have just given it it’s new year service (plug, oil, filter) but it runs lumpy, stalls when the choke is opened, and has barely enough grunt to engage the blades without stalling.

Its probably my fault for leaving old fuel in the carb over the winter so I think I need to take the carb off and give all the ports and jets a good clean.

Is any “cab cleaner” solvent from that auction site OK for the job? Strip, spray, soak, wipe, rebuild and reinstall yes?

boblo
    Free Member

I bought the cheapest, from eBay when the strimmer was playing up. Gave it a good dose and it’s been fine ever since. Not sure if they come in different flavours but mine was hardly a discriminating purchase.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Spray Easy Start into it. Burns hot and clears out any crud

Murray

If it starts and runs, dump the old fuel, put in Shell Advance and start it. Spray carb cleaner into the inlet.

Could be as simple as water in the fuel. Cessna 152s have water drains in the wings for just this reason – drain and confirm no water or expect to practice a forced landing!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d strip it and use any old carb cleaner (watch out it’s colder than a super cooled ice cream) and preferably blow it out with an air line.
    I’d be wary of easy start, especially as the mower runs already.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers guys.
    Sounds similar to advice from pub-mechanic-o-mate.

Took the carb off tonight, it’s not a serviceable unit by the look of it, so will blast with cleaner. It has clean fuel already.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Don’t forget to drain all fuel & run machine until it cuts out at end of year. Fresh fuel in at start of new year & modern petrol only good for max of 6 weeks due to ethanol content. If you’re not going to use in that time, consider a fuel additive that stabilises the fuel. The ethanol takes in water…which your mower really doesn’t want to run on.

Rio

If it’s the usual Zama carb you should be able to get a rebuild kit for it, also the Zama web site has useful diagrams of how these things work and where it might be gunged up . I had a similar problem with a Stihl carb recently, a can of cheapo Toolstation carb cleaner eventually sorted it but getting the tiny channels free of gunk was non-trivial.

Stoner
    Free Member

Rio, unfortunately it’s some kind of Honda special.

Zama stuff I love on the chainsaws.

Rio

Good luck then – without a diagram I couldn’t begin to figure out which holes came out where and hence which were blocked!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stoner, our old Honda mower was bad for something similar. Check the bowl at the bottom of the carb. It’s a Cadmium plated colour held on with a single bolt, but there is also a drain bolt. Water can get into the fuel and splits it causing rough running. I used to take the bowl off completely and clean it. Sometimes tiny bits of rust would find their way into the carb jet. Taking the carb off and checking the jet is clear is the only way. Reasonably quick job once you’ve done it once or twice,

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheers lads, but it’s not one I can open up.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cheers lads, but it’s not one I can open up.

Are you sure? It had to be put together so it must come apart unless it’s some cheap piece of crap, which I wouldn’t expect you to have!

Stoner
    Free Member

annoyingly, whilst all the Honda carb vids show the carb model with drain and removeable bowl (goto 3mins)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0BKW7hrzfE[/video]

mine seems to have a bowl without a drain and that doesnt seem to want to come away from the carb body so I can clean it.
    Its like this one on eBay, once you’ve undone the bolt at the bottom of the bowl, the bowl still wont come away….
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/16100-Z0Y-M41-BB75FA-GENUINE-Honda-GCV190LA-S3C-S3L-engines-CARBURETOR-ASSEMBLY-/261353274228

boblo
    Free Member

Try spraying it up the air intake with cleaner first before doing a Moly and taking the whole thing to bits. Leave it for a bit to dissolve any gunk, repeat to fade.

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, that’s the plan.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think you’re just being a bit of a wuss 🙂 It’s a keihin carb which are pretty good.
    If you cant clear it by spraying through the intake give it a bit more welly. Probably gummed up inside.

Stoner
    Free Member

I shall hold you responsible if I end up appearing in this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dont-know-my-own-strength-andor-stupidity

Stoner
    Free Member

Mine does not just come away as at 2m33s

🙁

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=154&v=0BA_U4jQHzQ[/video]

just got to do some work for the day job, will go back out to the workshop in a bit and lean on it some….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The bowl contains the float and the jet. There will be an O ring sealing the bowl to the carb body, unless they have glued the two halves together. Get into it man.

Get medieval on its ass then get Molegrips on its insides.

Stoner
    Free Member

done it.

It did just require a little less girlishness on my part.
    😳

Got to pop out and get something to clean it with now.

sharkbait
    Free Member

ya big girl 😉

If you’ve got a compressor blow everything out, the holes on these things are really small and it only takes a small bit of poop to mess things up.

Stoner
    Free Member

fortunately I have a nice little compressor

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Not the product you want but always makes me chuckle when I see it at the local motoring shop:
    null
    The bits of shite in the bowl are sterling advice. Been there recently with a Honda 4stroke.

Stoner
    Free Member

all done, and running sweetly.
    cheers chaps.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Did you find any debris or water in the bowl or jet?

Stoner
    Free Member

not that I could see, but there was a bit of brown varnishing on the choke paddle and walls of the chamber so it’s not unlikley that a jet had a slight gummy restriction causing the over lean mix.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You can unscrew the jet core the fuel goes through, it has a tiny internal diameter. With my dodgy eyes I can barely see through it. A micro dod of crap can bung it up and screw the mixture.

Nowt more satisfying than getting an engine to run sweetly.

boblo
    Free Member

Aaah, I like a happy ending and no STW arguments (yet) 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t forget to drain all fuel & run machine until it cuts out at end of year. Fresh fuel in at start of new year & modern petrol only good for max of 6 weeks due to ethanol content.

Hmmm, I put mine away after the last mow for the last two years without draining or anything and each spring it has started first time. I *know* I should look after it better but I don’t and it doesn’t complain.

(Briggs & Stratton engine)

boblo
    Free Member

Me too but it did take the wife half a dozen pulls to start it for the first cut 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Mower carb cleaner’ is closed to new replies.