• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Moving stuff round the country – on the cheap
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi.

My old man has a single bed for us, which he is looking to get rid of. I live in Surrey now, he lives in Devon, so 200 miles apart. The old school way of massive piece of furniture, strapped to the top of a car, seems a bit bonkers now.

What is the cheapest way to get it from A to B? I thought about hiring a van and doing either a 1 way journey or a rtn over a weekend. Time is an issue for me though.

Are there any good and cheap man in a van outfits who might do a part load/cheaper deal. Not too fussy about dates, so can be flexible.

midlifecrashes

Single beds will be available locally for less than your petrol cost.

squirrelking
    Free Member

That. Or if you can’t dismantle a bed to get it in a car you don’t deserve one in the first place 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ll send you a number of the guy we use for work whose a professional multi drop self employed courier who is surprisingly cheap and very efficient.. (the number is in work though) he mainly moves furniture around the country. I’ll guess he’ll quote £80-100 to do it but depends on exactly where you both are.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks cloud one, much appreciated

Sundayjumper

Or bid on anyvan to get someone to do it.

Although unless this bed is very special I suspect midlifecrashes is on the right track here. Your Dad sells the bed, puts the money in your bank account, you buy another bed locally. Net cost will be loads less than moving a bed from Devon to Surrey.

hels
    Free Member

You will be surprised what couriers will take, if you are prepared to wait. Some mad lady in Bath bought a mahoosive cocktail cabinet off me on ebay, the courier sends a van Oop North once a month and collects various bits and pieces.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Try Brian on 07929339397 he’s delivered loads of stuff for me and very professional

Caher

Or try Shipley and get some bids.

aracer
    Free Member

The old school way of massive piece of furniture, strapped to the top of a car, seems a bit bonkers now.

Why bonkers? Unless you were proposing doing it without the use of roofbars. Would certainly be what I’d think of doing (notwithstanding comments above that it’s not worth your petrol).

globalti
    Free Member

Tsk! There are empty vans and trucks charging around all over the country. Try someone like Paisley Freight, who are competitive on odd objects but it will probably just be TNT who will turn up at the door.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shiply +1

But it’ll still be more than cheap single bed from MFI.

andyl
    Free Member

I saw a car the other day with a matress on the roof, only he had only put one strap through the rear doors mid way along the matress so it was bent up like a giant air brake.

You can get up to a double on a roof. Just make sure you use plenty of straps and put something over it to stop it getting wet or covered in flies.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Moving stuff round the country – on the cheap’ is closed to new replies.