Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Moving house sky + box question. First world problem I know.
  • bigG
    Free Member

We’re moving house in a couple of weeks and have some stuff recorded on the sky+ box that I’d rather not lose. Anyone got any idea how long the box can go without an external power supply? New house is only a ten min drive away so it won’t be without power for long.

Am I doomed to have a distraught daughter because the gruffalo and room on the broom have been wiped?

portlyone

Pretty sure they’re saved onto the hard drive. They’ll be fine for weeks.

EDIT: I say weeks because they have ‘best before’ dates if recorded from On Demand

zilog6128

As above, they’re on a hard drive (just like in a computer) so it’ll be fine.

A more important question might be – will you still be able to access them? Are you keeping the same Sky account & viewing card or signing up again from scratch?

Vern0n
    Free Member

Should be fine, on hard drive. When i moved there was already a dish up so just plug in and carry on as before. Sky do have a ‘moving team’ who i’m sure will anser any questions!

McHamish
    Free Member

Ha…I was going to ask the same question. And strangely enough Big G is my nickname…well some people call me that.

We’re going to be moving soon and will be without Sky for a period of time…I was hoping that we could watch what was recorded without a Sky signal. But apparently not.

I’m not sure I’ll get Sky at our next house…I guess we’re going to have a few marathon TV sessions to watch old serieses.

aidso
    Free Member

The signal is decrypted in real-time therefore you need an active Viewing Card to see the recordings. You would see the same if you subscribed to Sky Movies, recorded a few and then cancelled the packages. The movies still exist on the box, but without the card you can’t watch them.

A.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

^ viewing card cryptography works by using codes in the live signal

So to watch recorded stuff you need a live feed – this is how sky ensure you have a current subscription that includes the channel you recorded from. It stops you subscribing for everything, recording a bunch of pricey films & sports – and then unplugging the box and watching it after you cancel your subscription.

The gruffalo should be safe, however.

bigG
    Free Member

Great stuff, sky are coming to do an install in the new house the day after we move. There’s already a sky dish so I’ll plug it in the day we move and fingers crossed it’ll all be fine!

Cheers all

jon1973
    Free Member

We’re going to be moving soon and will be without Sky for a period of time…I was hoping that we could watch what was recorded without a Sky signal. But apparently not.

It’s all very locked down. I used to have Sky with Sky Movies (with VM now). When I cancelled the movie channels, the films I recorded while I had the subscription dissapeared off my planner.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Moving house sky + box question. First world problem I know.’ is closed to new replies.