Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mountainbiking in Murcia,Spain
  • joeegg
    Free Member

I have the use of a friends apartment for 10 days in May.Its around Mazarron area and the nearest place for mtb’ing seems to be the Sierra Espuna.
    Anybody visited this area or have ideas of routes,guides or general info.

dazz
    Free Member

We go to Cartagena to visit family quite a bit, it’s about 20 minutes away, never taken my bike though, but while exploring the area there looks like loads of places to go riding, just get out & explore. I’ve just sent my father in law an email to ask him about routes etc, as a few of his neighbours go out for the day into the mountains.

Generally, what are you looking to do out there? The Mar Menor is a cracking beach for kids, if you have any, it’s man made & you can paddle out as far as you like & never get out of your depth, a few nice bars & restaurants there to. Around an hours drive to Benidorm, if you fancy that kind of thing.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Calling pmj to the forum…

I’ve been there a few times, up to Sierra D’espuna

Steve Wade (of Orange) lives there.

Its good.

Paul rocks by Pimpmaster Jazz, on Flickr

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I worked for six months as a guide around the Mar Menor. There’s some decent riding around La Manga Club in the Calblanque National Park – see Geoff at ABC (http://bikinglamanga.com/) and ask him to take you up to The Guns, down The Wall and along the Three Marias.

Second switchback coming up by Pimpmaster Jazz, on Flickr

Sierra Espuna is big (big hills, big trails – the Patriot and Alpine 160 were designed here) and you’ll need a guide to get the most from it. Ask nicely on this forum and maybe you shall receive. 🙂

joeegg
    Free Member

I’m looking at solely off road stuff so the Espuna looks the most promising place.
    Found a guy who does guided road cycling in the area but nothing really for guiding or routes on a mtb.
    Erm,who’s Steve Wade ?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Erm,who’s Steve Wade ?

This may be your greatest blessing, or your greatest curse. 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You want Mick at Espuna-adventure

joeegg
    Free Member

Looking at the mtb section of the Espuna Adventure website it looks like they just do leisurely rides for groups (whatever they are).
    I’m quite experienced with a decent full suss bike so looking for something a bit more inspiring in the Sierra Espuna.

Mackem

It’s great for mtbing. The old ice-transportation tracks are like man-made trail centre trails. Mix that with big hills and some pretty rough natural stuff, great fun.

You dont need a guide. Go to the campsite at El Berro and follow a trail next to there. There’s loads of signage, so as long as you have a map you’ll be fine.

If you can, get the Trailrider guide to spain, it has a few routes in there. Or ask someone nicely to scan the relevant pages. (I loaned my copy of the book to the campsite for them to copy, so they may have some anyway).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

it looks like they just do leisurely rides for groups (whatever they are).

that’s what the advertise. I’m sure they can adapt, Mick took us round a few good trails in Espuna

Campsite in EL Berro is cracking. Dead cheap for a cabin out of season.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mountainbiking in Murcia,Spain’ is closed to new replies.