Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Mountain Biking out of favor…?
  • Kryton57

…since you bought a Road bike?

I dunno, I keep glancing at the dusty MTB’s, then quickly getting dressed and shooting off on the road bike.

Its not just me, is it…? 😯

Teifiterror
    Free Member

It passes, generally go through phases in riding between the two as I start to miss aspects of each.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Must admit i’ve been doing more road riding in the last couple of months, but i’ve a trip to the Sierra Nevadas with Ciclo Montana in three weeks so time to get some practice in!

aidanoggy
    Free Member

I dunno, I keep glancing at the dusty Road bikes, then quickly getting dressed and shooting off on the MTB 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Easy to do when the trails are soggy

yunki
    Free Member

high oestrogen levels in the water system again probably

oldgit
    Free Member

Bit of a boom going on, though granted it does seem simpler.
    Clocks go back soon, gets colder to.
    What 4X4 will be the next thing.
    Embrace both is what I say.

I have a theory though. I think the mountain bike industry shoots itself in the foot sometimes, even if it is just with a spud gun. The constant changes in equipment I’m talking about. You buy something one year, the kit that is the greatest innovation in the sport only to be told in a few months you’d be better off with the next best thing. I just sense this backlash in the background. I kinda give up where’s me road bike.

d45yth
    Free Member

It just shows you weren’t a true mountain biker in the first place. The more of you that take to road, the better. Clearer trails for everyone else! 😛
    Oh, and for those of you roadies that enter mtb events…please don’t. There’s nothing worse than getting passed by you on the climbs, only for you to hold the rest of us up on the downs! 😡

GaryLake
    Free Member

Been there, done that. Don’t sell the MTBs, you’ll need them again eventually.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nope

rogerthecat
    Free Member

+1

d45yth – MemberThe more of you that take to road, the better. Clearer trails for everyone else!

Kryton57

It’s not the kit changes, I don’t want to change anything. It’s just my mojo is currently in the drops flicking a lever.

iainc

yes, much more road than mtb this ‘summer’. Another few weeks though and the roads will be wet, salty, icy yeuch and the trails will seem better places to be IMO

t-p26
    Free Member

Thats right, get out on the road, gives the trails a chance to dry out in this current warm spell we`re having….so I can enjoy them peacefully in the dust!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not me. Got a road bike last year & have done a very unimpressive 585 miles on it up to yesterday. Done a fair bit more on the MTB’s.

UK-FLATLANDER

If you’re turning to the dark side, you realise that all sense of colour will have to be removed 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

I have a theory though. I think the mountain bike industry shoots itself in the foot sometimes, even if it is just with a spud gun. The constant changes in equipment I’m talking about. You buy something one year, the kit that is the greatest innovation in the sport only to be told in a few months you’d be better off with the next best thing. I just sense this backlash in the background. I kinda give up where’s me road bike.

Disagree with most of that. New stuff always coming out, yes. But not all of us rush out and buy it. I’m one of them. Buy what I need when I need it, not just because its new and shiny.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t be ridiclos, road riding is shit.

The constant changes in equipment I’m talking about. You buy something one year, the kit that is the greatest innovation in the sport only to be told in a few months you’d etc.
    Well, you don’t have to swallow all the marketing and spend all your money to stay in fashion, Some of us don’t anyway

brooess
    Free Member

kindof overdid MTB over last 7 years. Road riding is easier to do straight from the house, less fettling and cleaning, no petrol costs and easier to do with such a wet summer.
    But when I do go out on the MTB I get a glow that last for days 🙂

I love all riding and doubt I’ll ever give up fully on either type tbh. It’s all good

midlifecrashes

MTB today, gym yesterday, road Sunday, townie/trad bike Saturday for Sustrans trail bashing. Did have a bit of a wobble couple of months ago when there wasn’t a day without rain. Joined the gym for the first time in my life. Hoping for Indian summer with kids back in school tomorrow. Once I get any bike past the end of the drive, the day gets better.

Bullet

‘Shooting off on the road bike’ – can’t be that nice surely 🙂

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Hmm. Also have a couple of MTBs getting dusty, forsaken due to the purchase of a CAAD 10…..BUT as I was (road) riding over to see the brother and sister-in-laws, on Sunday (Leeds to Widdup reservoir via Hebden Bridge/Hardcastle Crags), I got the MTB itch again. I blame it on all those jolly, cheery folk riding West Yorkshire Filing Cabinets that I met as they crossed my path to get onto some tasty looking trails.
    BTW, I did say hello/smiled. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Ride my road bike every day (no local off road worth riding) but mtb and bmx are still the bikes i’d go to for having fun on. Just don’t get the same excitement from a road bike, its only there for exercise that isn’t as boring as running!

Klunk
    Free Member

no local off road worth riding

you’re not looking hard enough.

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, I enjoy both.

boxfish
    Free Member

Meh, I enjoy both.

Me too. I’ve often used the road bike this summer for quick spins straight from the house when I’ve got a spare hour. Kids tend to occupy your time a lot…

Along with eating less, these short & fast rides have helped me shift 21 lb in weight since the start of June. I’m now faster and fitter when I venture to the woods too. Sorted.

_tom_
    Free Member

Flat or very slightly inclined bridleways are not what i consider fun riding, in that case i’d rather be on the road and getting some decent speed up! and tbh i don’t really enjoy that sort of mtb riding, i only really ride dh which we don’t have locally!

chakaping
    Free Member

Local trails are hard and dry at the moment, so my road bike is doing the dust-gathering.

neninja
    Free Member

Opposite for me. My road bike has hung on the wall gathering dust for a few years. I really should sell it but keep it just in case 😉

Nobby

Meh, I enjoy both.

This. I’m even considering building up a BMX some 29 years after the last one tried to kill me. 🙂

Kryton57

In an effort to re-kindle my desire, I’ve go the HT ready for a lunchtime spin in the woods, putting the road bike to one side for a moment.

It’d better not be muddy… 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Goes in waves – MTB currently used the most and road a little dusty. But twitching to get out more on the road. Fed up with cost and frequency of MTB repairs!

DaveRambo

I’ve probably done more road riding the past 2 months mainly due to the weather.

When it’s been tipping it down for 2 weeks, I know the trials are very muddy, so on a sunny evening I take the road bike so I don’t have to clean it when i get home.
    When it’s been dry for a week and the trails are dry the moutain bike often wins unless I’m short of time.

Went to France for a week, took road and Ti hardtail and rode both in equal measures.

When it’s tipping it down I chose the MTB but I’m moving to me more equal. Both are ace (did I really just type ace ??)

sputnik
    Free Member

‘But when I do go out on the MTB I get a glow that last for days’
    Brooess, that will be the nettles mate 😉

Kryton57

Just done 90 minutes of stunning dry singltrack in the sun, brilliant.

Here’s the gratuitous yet prerequsite STW “my bike” pic (with that Lahdon skyline) to prove it.

photo2 by kryton57, on Flickr

steve_b77
    Free Member

Seem to spend weekends on the road bike for long rides and then after work rides mid-week are MTB at the moment.

It’ll all change soon when the roads turn $h!tty and I CBA’d cleaning my road bike all the time

cookeaa

Mostly Roadie commuting during the week but a DH race this Sunday should redress the balance of Gnarr 😀

I still consider myself a mountaing biker who also happens to own and ride a road bike, not the other way round…

Ask yourself this age old question:

“If you had to choose just one of your bikes to keep, which would it be?”

If the answer is an MTB then you know you’re still an MTBist, if you choose the road bike then fair enough, better to know your own priorities. and at least your still riding a bike, that has to be the main thing IMO…

butcher

There’s more roads to ride than there are trails, so the road bike always involves a lot less fannying about. Straight out the door and there’s a whole world of uninterupted routes.

It’s more of a convenience thing for me, really.

_tom_
    Free Member

“If you had to choose just one of your bikes to keep, which would it be?”

tbh probably my bmx at the minute! Getting a bit bored of mtb but I think it’s probably because I ride the same place all the time, need some variety and to ride some proper mountains!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Biking out of favor…?’ is closed to new replies.