Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Mountain biking is better for your health and fitness than road
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

The fact that MTBers arn’t lycra clad ponces that eat the odd pie on a trail is partly why I like the sport.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mountain biking is just better.

mrmo
    Free Member

my experience is that roadies are fitter and stronger, but i find if i spend a lot of time on the road i lack a little kick, by this I mean that when riding off road, because of the nature of trails, twisty, short climbs etc, i need to apply a lot of power but only for a very short burst. On the road i don’t apply as much power as frequently, but the average on the road is i suspect higher because the riding is more steady state.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mountain biking is better for your health and fitness because of:

Depends if you’re talking about a average punter or an already fit bloke?

I would have pointed new riders in the way of MTB for general fitness and good health. However since running this club I’ve seen lots of newcomers to cycling ditch their MTBs in favour of road bikes. The new riders fitness since turning to road comes on in leaps and bounds. Though when I’ve looked into it I’ve found the reasons are simple.
    1) They won’t ride MTBs in the winter months due to the quagmire.
    2) They’ve often needed to factor in a drive to the start, so no car for the missus.
    3) They simply don’t know the best places to ride off road.
    4) The bikes they’ve bought have fallen apart or they can’t/wont keep up with the maintenance.
    So now I’d recommend one of the many road clubs that pop up now.

For the already fit. It depends what you put in, but I’d say road. I’d say I’m fitter and faster than a lot of my MTBing mates but I can and do get left behind by non fitness related skills.

Furthermore I’ve been going out on night rides (mtb) with a few roadies this winter, the first time for them and they are reporting huge improvements in climbing strength when they get back on the road bike, something echoed by their clubmates who are left trailing behind them.

Sorry but this made me almost shout out aloud ‘utter tripe’ totally without doubt the other way around. Unless you mean someone who has just bought a road bike rather than a roadie or roadman

_tom_
    Free Member

Although I managed just fine without it for a few months, I did notice a big improvement in my fitness and weight loss when I started riding road again.

theotherjonv

I suspect that most top level MTBers train on the road to get their aerobic fitness and stamina, because it is easier to control pace on a road ride to train whatever system you’re working on. There are no top level MTBers that don’t train on the road, equally there are none that don’t spend a lot of time on their skills as well.

When it comes to us mortals, and the type of fitness we are talking about I think road biking is better for fitness than MTB’ing less because of the above, and more because of the way our disciplines are culturally. I had a road bike a few years back and joined a local club, and rides with them tended to be about 4 hours with a 20 odd minute cafe stop half way; the rest was pretty well on the move and while not a chain gang bowled along at a reasonable lick stopping only when there was a big split in the group. For most of the rest of the time the route was well known and even if we got split the front would sit up a bit while they regrouped but you wouldn’t stop.

Whereas a club MTB ride culturally will be shorter (2-3 hours vs 4), will have frequent stops to catch your breath and admire shiny bits, and then move off when everyone’s ready. If MTB runs were organised with the same culture as the road rides, I doubt at our level there would be much if any difference.

simon1975

It’s all riding bikes at the end of the day…

But what’s the injury rate MTB vs Road? Utility vs Leisure etc? Judging by numerous questions asked and answers logged by paramedics / nurses after accidents there must be reams of statistics? And how many get referred for physiotherapy (or similar) by their GP for each division of the sport?

Kryton57

I upped my mtb rides on 2011 to 3x per week to train for events.

I bought a road bike in October, and since the have ridden that twice per week on that and once p/w mtb. I can confirm I am fitter in a cardio way, and have better ability to spin the bigger gears at pace (on bridleway/hills for example) than I had before on the mtb.

I’d say road riding has enabled my to improve my pace over smoother ground, as well as giving me a cardio boost.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Love both – but came to mtb (properly) from road (via triathlon). FWIW – I find its easier to max out on a mtb (climbing) than road (probably due to nature of the terrain) but feel a much better endurance effect on the road. I guess, outside racing, one tends to stop more on a mtb.

Tend to go for 2-3 hour sessions on both and overall more tired at the end of a road, but will have had a much steadier workout (eg less HR variability).

The one thing I noticed though, is that you miss the periods of relaxation on a mtb. I did an event this week on mtb and put my bento box on with some jelly babies and kendal mint cake in it. On a Half IM or road cycle, there are plenty of opportunities to relax on the aero bars and have a quick nibble while still keeping up good pace. IMO, this is much harder on a mtb when racing – no time to have a quick breather on the bars. I tried to adopt a semi-aero position once, relaxing on the handlebars but it felt too unstable!!

Agree with krypton on the point about improving pace on smoother ground (BTW – how was the 50k? Were you the very fit guy on anthem who flew past me on the muddy approach to w’fold?)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The fact that MTBers arn’t lycra clad ponces that eat the odd pie on a trail is partly why I like the sport.

O RLY?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

The work/rest/up/down/stop/start/HIIT nature of it

Well it’s good to see the lack of understanding of what HIIT really is has started already.

kaesae
    Free Member

I think that MTB is better for your health simply down to the breathing in polution factor of road riding.

Roads = Cars = polution = health problems = death 😀

Haven’t bothered to read this thread so if any one else has pointed this out 😐

Carry on bag swingers, that is all I have to say about that 😯

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well it’s good to see the lack of understanding of what HIIT really is has started already.

Started? Have you seen the crap posted by some on other related threads?

hilldodger
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member

If you’re eating pies on the trails it’s biking as a hobby rather than a sport, nothing wrong in that it’s all fun 😉

alex222
    Free Member

Its all good. Though I would point out that roadmen are often grafters and blue collared workers who have cycled all of their lives. Particularly the older cyclist. Some of the smut that comes from their mouths is so funny its untrue. I would say don’t judge before you meet these people. Whilst riding along at 18 mph average with coffin dodgers I have had some of the best laughs of my life. I do have fun on mountain bike rides too and love both sports I think the level of fitness is kind of irrelevant. You get out what you put in cliche but true.

cookeaa

While I can sort of see your point OP (and you did state it was a general one) I have to say it’s probably more down to the individual (IMO), that is to say I probably push myslef as hard on my road bike (When I bother to ride it these days) as I do on my MTBs…

The difference though is often the nature of the work you have to do.
    Looking at the extremes (as I see them) pedaling my DH bike any distance is far more effort than my Road bike obviously, so generally I don’t pedal the DH bike as far.
    The majority of the effort goes into muscling the DH bike about on technical terrain, the Road bike is all about efficient coverage of miles on roads, So I suppose for every 10-15 miles covered on a DH bike my road bike is probably doing 80ish as a rough equivalent of rider work, the XC bike and SS MTB are probably somewhere between these 2 extremes, (it might be interesting for someone to give us comparative estimates of Joules expended per mile covered for a DH bike Vs a Road bike maybe?)…

In short a lazy person (like me) will put in about the same amount of work whether they are on an MTB or a Road bike, they’ll just cover more ground on the Road bike as it’s a more efficient mile muncher…

Yes there are more “MAMIL”s about these days, pot bellied 40-50 somethings, pearched atop Carbon ego chariots, and they may well have taken up road bikes over MTBs as it’s easier to manage a steady-ish output of effort/energy Vs the rather more peak/trough nature of a long XC ride, plus the more miles you cover the more it feels like an achievement, where as being bolloxed after 30 miles of being beaten up on an MTB could easily demoralise someone just getting back into cycling…
    Do MTBs offer a “Better” workout? Nah, just a slightly less efficient bike which knackers you quicker…

Of course what all of this ignores is what actually motivates people, first of all to take up cycling, and secondly which discipline attracts them the most; Some Roadies won’t have the slightest interest in MTBs, some MTBers won’t care a jot about Road bikes, others (like me) will have a personal bias towards a certain type of riding (MTBs), but can still take a certain interest in other types of bike and riding, and that’s fine too…

clubber
    Free Member

If you’re eating pies on the trails it’s biking as a hobby rather than a sport, nothing wrong in that it’s all fun

so is that ‘proper’ biking or not? 😉

FWIW, back in my days of being fit, we’d do silly long mtb rides that’d have broken most people and took nice food with us – eg pies, etc rather than ‘racing food’ – or stopped off for pub lunches because it was more fun and enjoyable that way. Come to think of it, one of the guys also used to smoke some special stuff around midway too. He was probably the quickest of us all.

Maybe we were only hobbyists though…

skaifan
    Free Member

Road riding is way better for fitness but it is unbelievably boring, and you have to put yourself at the mercy of poorly surfaced roads and inconsiderate/ unobservant road users.

DezB
    Free Member

The only thing better about road riding is it gets you to places quicker.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Road riding is way better for fitness

that is just wrong – if you push yourself and ride with the same type of relentless effort on the mtb as you would on a road bike, then I can’t see what the difference would be – except that you get some interval work on the mtb, you are not getting bored, you are not exposing yourself to the dangers of sharing the route with cars – fumes and possible collisions.

The trouble is that you need to be at a good level of fitness to be able to push yourself like this on a mtb.

_tom_
    Free Member

In short a lazy person (like me) will put in about the same amount of work whether they are on an MTB or a Road bike

I don’t really find this is the case. On a MTB I’m happy to go at a slower pace on flat/uphill bits whereas on a road bike the lack of drag and weight makes you want to push harder and go for longer. imo.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences – has anyone defined what fitness is?

DIS

I guess you would have to define health or fitness.

If your purely looking at VO2 max, watts out put and so on then i suspect road riding would come out on top for most people.

Of cause the avbove is not the only factor when considering health. Research has shown poor bone density in roadies compared to other sports people (bone density in roadies was about same as sedentary individuals who sat on there backside all day) however with mountain biking, due to impact bone density can increase. so roadies not so good on that one.

could add many more points that would in fact favor mountain biking for health benefits but need to go.

crikey
    Free Member

I suspect most people on this thread are thinking that mountain biking is far removed from road biking….

Physiologically they are very, very similar and certainly in terms of their relative effect on bone density. Both are non weight bearing exercise; apart from the chubby lads pushing uphill…

mrmo
    Free Member

that is just wrong – if you push yourself and ride with the same type of relentless effort on the mtb as you would on a road bike, then I can’t see what the difference would be

I doubt you can find many mtb routes where you can put out a continuous 2-300 watts, because of climbs, corners, descents, roots, etc, whereas on the road you can actually put out a continuous power for a protracted period. My route to work has two sections of about 5miles where i don’t have to give way to traffic, think about sharp corners, cope with anything more than undulations, etc, try and find a similar route anywhere in the south of england off road that matches that.

Off road you might put out far more power for an instant on a short climb, but then you’ll put out far less traversing some roots a moment later.

crikey
    Free Member

…and all the ‘upper body work’ that mountain biking seems to involve, please…

DH racing, yes definitely, but the old stereotypical IT manager fannying about in the woods while chatting about which car to buy next, or which coffee machine, or what set of Japanese knives to slice that chorizo, no, give over ladies.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I doubt you can find many mtb routes where you can put out a continuous 2-300 watts, because of climbs, corners, descents, roots, etc, whereas on the road you can actually put out a continuous power for a protracted period.

This…

hock

Shame. Could have been an interesting thread.

Why don’t you keep your cynicism to yourself and share your wealth of knowledge with us then? 🙄

In the same way I find it utterly pointless to state that pie eating and chatting casual mountain bikers are less fit than your average roadie. Would you ride on the road just for fun? Or is road riding by the nature of it (focus on fitness rather than fun) attracting on average more fitness orientated riders than mountain-biking?! Think about it before telling the world that road riding is better for your fitness than mountain biking. Please!

Those chatty pie eaters enjoy themselves and do it for fun. Fitness is probably not even secondary for them. Similar – by the way – to the pot bellied cappuccino drinking stop-over at the next cafe and the cafe after that experts amongst roadies.

The only thing that I’d like to add to this thread is that cycling as such is unhealthy in terms of locking you in more or less the same position for a long time and using only certain muscles. By the nature of it mountain biking is not that bad in this respect. But any cyclist interested in fitness and/or health should do some stretching after cycling and some ((core)strength) exercises to counter-act the one-sidedness of cycling.

What made me fitter in the recent month:
    – riding with roadies off-road because – yes – they stop and chat less and have on average a higher pace (but they choose rather boring routes, while I can totally second the blue collar humour aspect!!!)
    – riding on a singlespeed because it makes you ride in attack mode more often and is much more of a work-out for your upper-body

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Sorry but this made me almost shout out aloud ‘utter tripe’ totally without doubt the other way around.

Sorry, but are you by any chance from the Edwardian era?

Unless you mean someone who has just bought a road bike rather than a roadie or roadman

No, I meant roadies, experienced ones. Mere mortals mind you….I mean you do realise that people can own and use a road bike and not be elite athletes? Despite the fact that you assert (as if you know) that it is “totally without doubt the other way” consider for a second someone who has always trained in a certain way, around a typical club ride structure. Perhaps they have plateaued in their training. So they buy a mountain bike for winter training to spice up their usual regimen.

They are now going out in conditions that you wouldn’t dream of taking a road bike out in, they are sprinting up many short, steep (much steeper than any road) intense climbs on a heavier bike. I fail to see how this could not have a beneficial effect.

People are individuals and anyone claiming to know everything about all of them is frankly an ass.

I’m not familiar with this term roadman though, presumably it’s some sort of masculinised version of a roadie? rides in dungarees and wellies? has a beard? and maybe keeps stout in his water bottle?

oldgit
    Free Member

You then, as you assert that these guys who have been out on night rides have become far better climbers.
    Never have I heard reports back to the same in all my years.
    Most the roadies i ride and race with have been using mtbs during the winter since the eighties, and before that back into the seventies on crossers.
    What are conditions that you wouldn’t dream of? they were turning up for club runs in the snow a few weeks back.
    Every roadie I know from 1st cat to national and world champions have said that MTBing scrubs there speed off.
    As for the hills, yes some off road ones are steep. but road one can be to and can be ridden far harder.
    I stand by my comments, and that the cyclist that are getting faster on the road from MTBing still have a long way to go.

oldgit
    Free Member

I did try to edit. I wanted to say that your post seems to imply that have an issue with roadies?
    Words like ‘supposedly fit’ ‘busted and floundering’ Statements like ‘huge’ improvements after just one winter of ‘night’ rides, and leaving clubmates trailing behind.
    Big gears at a high cadence?????
    And the reference to not lasting long in the ring, has undertones. Though Naseem Hamed seems to do okay for a 8 3/4 stone guy.
    And the picture, why the question mark? he does look fit and seems to have been given number 1.
    ?
    Correct me if I’m wrong.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Every roadie I know from 1st cat to national and world champions have said that MTBing scrubs there speed off.

but

Most the roadies i ride and race with have been using mtbs during the winter since the eighties, and before that back into the seventies on crossers.

So let me get this straight. Every roadie you know said mtbing scrubs speed off. And yet most roadies you ride with, ride mtb during the winter and have done for 20+ years. And yet you maintain that mountain biking is of no benefit to roadies and you are incredulous when I say that the roadies I know; who haven’t EVER mtb’d are seeing improvements from it?. You surely have confused the sh*t out of me there if not yourself.

And the reference to not lasting long in the ring, has undertones. Though Naseem Hamed seems to do okay for a 8 3/4 stone guy.

Hamed is 5ft 4. And you can assume that when he was in his prime his walking weight was probably much closer to 10 stone when not training for a fight, so a pretty powerful individual for his size. The undertone as you put it, or what i was implying by the ring comment is that the fittest cyclist is only fit for one thing – cycling. As fit as they are in that discipline it is an illusory concept to an extent as there is little real world application, or even another sporting application for that. The term or cliche “fighting fit” exists for a reason and anyone with combat sports experience will tell you it’s because they are far more demanding in far more ways than most other sports and hence require a much broader type of fitness and strength. Since the thread was about fitness, and no one had bothered to really quantify it, I thought it was worth pointing out that there can be more to being fit than outright cardiovascular endurance at a given action.

People get sucked into a debate about cardiovascular endurance when really, it’s only a piece of a puzzle. Not the whole puzzle. As I said earlier, I’ve been out on the mtb with supposedly very fit roadies only to find them floundering. They simply weren’t used exerting themselves in the way mountainbiking forces you too, moving around the bike, getting beaten up by the trail…they are very different to sitting and spinning. These “athletes” even struggled when it came to pushing their bikes up trails. Overspecialize and you breed in weakness.

And the picture, why the question mark? he does look fit and seems to have been given number 1.
    ?

He is a she.

oldgit
    Free Member

Firstly

He is a she

An old ex pro roadie actually said to me this winter half jokingly ‘all roadies ride mountainbikes over winter’ It’s more of a off season thing, a bit of variety or like you say spice. And more to help maintain fitness than gain it.
    From personal experience I can say that I’ve been able to do well in the odd xc race during a busy road season, but I would never do well at all in a road race if I were in a busy XC/enduro year.
    However I still disagree with you in ‘general’ about MTBing improving roadies climbing, it is after all the one area in which roadies do pretty well in…the going up bit.

Roadman is just an older reference to racing cyclist i.e roadman, trackman, tester.

This bit is the total opposite of my experience with road cyclists.

People get sucked into a debate about cardiovascular endurance when really, it’s only a piece of a puzzle. Not the whole puzzle. As I said earlier, I’ve been out on the mtb with supposedly very fit roadies only to find them floundering. They simply weren’t used exerting themselves in the way mountainbiking forces you too, moving around the bike, getting beaten up by the trail…they are very different to sitting and spinning. These “athletes” even struggled when it came to pushing their bikes up trails. Overspecialize and you breed in weakness.

That said, this may have been true some decades ago. I remember being very embaressed by seeing a TDF cyclist manage just one dip on Sports Superstars.
    The likes of Boardman and Armstrong are a case in point of the modern roadman.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

However I still disagree with you in ‘general’ about MTBing improving roadies climbing, it is after all the one area in which roadies do pretty well in…the going up bit.

That’s okay. Your differing perception I am putting down to the fact that you seem to know many elite road riders, whereas I know many average/enthusiast roadies, many of whom see climbing as a black art and certainly hold a consensus view that mtb’ers who ride road are relatively speaking, beastly climbers.

Sure, I highly doubt that cross training on a mountainbike is going to be of benefit to a hillclimber on a grand tour on his roadbike, there would be something wrong there if it did, but I was never alluding to people of that calibre to begin with.

I maintain though that a lot of roadies are initially at least, very much out of their physical comfort zone once off road, and whilst we are so fond of generalizing about body types…thin svelte little roadies and bearded pie munching mtbers I have observed that a lot of high level road riders tend to conform to a quite a slim, long limbed, narrow shouldered body type whilst high level mtb riders are on the whole a stockier broader bunch, probably better suited to their respective sports.

oldgit
    Free Member

When I see the word roadie mentioned I automatically assume it refers to racing cyclists. I stubbornly refuse to accept that now applies to anyone out riding a road bike, so adopt 70s speak i.e roadman.

chiefgrooveguru

There is a substantial difference between overall health and having a high degree of fitness optimisation for a specialised sport. If a pro MTBer (DH or XC) is as well trained as a pro roadie I’d expect them to have better general health than the roadie (particularly the DHer). However that advantage in being less extremely optimised is offset by the higher probability of having suffered bad injuries…

njee20
    Free Member

whilst high level mtb riders are on the whole a stockier broader bunch, probably better suited to their respective sports.

DH perhaps, but XC racers are similar to roadies, hence so many successfully making the transition.

Interesting point on whether DH racers are ‘healthier’ than pro-roadies. Probably something in that, they’re not making the same demands of their bodies. Not that sure they’re more susceptible to serious injury though, plenty of nasty things going on on the road. More likely to die too.

chiefgrooveguru

There’s a lot of good reading here about the vast difference between roadie fitness and MTB fitness: http://www.bikejames.com/

As he says, there’s a difference between training as a professional to win events because that’s how you make a living and what your life is about, and training as an amateur who wants to enjoy their riding, do their best in any races they may enter and remain fit and healthy rather than be plagued with the muscular imbalances and overuse injuries that afflict most pro athletes.

cookeaa

whilst high level mtb riders are on the whole a stockier broader bunch, probably better suited to their respective sports.

DH perhaps, but XC racers are similar to roadies, hence so many successfully making the transition.

Interesting point on whether DH racers are ‘healthier’ than pro-roadies. Probably something in that, they’re not making the same demands of their bodies. Not that sure they’re more susceptible to serious injury though, plenty of nasty things going on on the road. More likely to die too.

I’m not sure “healthier” is the issue,
    I think there’s a general missunderstanding of what DH Riding/Racing actually involves amongst STWers (and in some cases it seems a real dislike for DH) , just an impression I have formed from reading some recent posts on this and other threads…
    I’m not sure the difference is so much demand level, but that they are just very different applications…

The majority of fast DH racers (In my personal experience is mostly of amatures) are not so “Stocky” in build, they are often relatively skinney, perhaps with a bit more muscle in their forearms and/or calves…
    Muscle of course is heavy and carrying excess in any area just means more mass to accelerate, decellerate and manouver through corners and over obstical, thus wasting more effort, in the same way that a roadie won’t want a bulky bike or body the same is quite true for a DHer…

Of course the way in which DH riders apply their fitness is totally different, the actual physical application is probably more akin to Sking perhaps (IMO); Primarily the rider is having to hold a series of “stress positions” but still maintaining some compliance in their arms and legs, they need to move about on the bike while holding their weight up, I’d say this means a level of sustained stress within certain muscle groups, coupled with a requirement for more suppleness in others, that isn’t seen to the same degree in either Road or even XC racing perhaps?

Pedaling obviously forms a part of the activity in DH, but it’s more of an equal component alongside the stresses and fatigue that posture, handling and absorbing impacts to the bike place upon the rider, you could argue that proportianately it is a less critical task than on a road bike…

Of course I don’t think you can claim that a DH rider expends the same amount of energy in a ~4 minute race run that a roadie might over a ~4 hour race, I’m not sure that is humanly possible.
    But then that one Race run won’t be the only one he/she has had to do, tot up all the expended effort over the course of practice, qualifying and of course that final race run and I think you could say that the event in its totality places a similar level of physical demand on the riders fitness, but does so by rather different mechanisms in shorter higher intensity bursts over a longer period…

As for injury, again the mechanisms by both types of rider typically become injured vary significantly, thats is a whole different debate, personally I believe that Road riding is marginally more dangerous and the risk of straining or pulling muscles critical to the sport seems higher… IMO…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking is better for your health and fitness than road’ is closed to new replies.