Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mountain Biking Insurance Recommendations
  • Shepdon
    Free Member

Hi
    Going to Morzine at the end of July and I need personnel insurance so was wondering who to use, any recommendations would be much appreciated
    Regards
    Richard

moniex
    Free Member

Dog tag seems good, not had to use them though..

MarkN
    Free Member

I have taken out Snowcard but again have not had to use them. Be wary of standard travel insurance as it may not cover you in a lift assisted resort.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Snowcard for me.

No problems paying out a few years back.

Nice that you an remove insurance for baggage and cancellation etc as any normal travel insurance or even home insurance covers stuff like that so why buy twice.

Select your activity carefully though. There are a number of options for mountain biking to choose from,

MTB TRACKS AND TRAILS:mountain bike riding on off road tracks or trails
    – e.g. unmade up roads, paths, bridleways etc.

MTB DOWNHILLER: non competitive off road mountain bike riding
    – e.g. ski resort runs where riding is not on established tracks or paths.

The Plenny is pretty much well established I’d say. As long as you stick to the tracks and don’t go “off piste” anyway

professor_fate
    Free Member

Be wary of standard travel insurance as it may not cover you in a lift assisted resort.

Please expand… could affect a lot of people here. I generally find that “Mountainbiking Non-competitive” (or similar) should cover most bases, maybe i should look closer in future!

tomhoward

Insure and go’s standard insurance stated that mountain biking is covered, but excludes racing and ‘extreme ground conditions’ (but that cover is available at an extra cost)

Now, what might a normal mtber call ‘extreme ground conditions’? Lava? Quicksand? Open water? Nope, according to insure and go, it’s ‘anything that isn’t tarmac’

So to clarify, mountain biking IS covered, but if you want to ride off road, you have to pay double (really)

Check your policies kids….

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Any other recommendations out there?

We are booking tonight and were thinking of going with dog tag.

Anyone had a bad experience with them?

MarkN
    Free Member

Be wary of standard travel insurance as it may not cover you in a lift assisted resort.

Please expand… could affect a lot of people here. I generally find that “Mountainbiking Non-competitive” (or similar) should cover most bases, maybe i should look closer in future!

When I first went to Morzine I looked at standard travel insurance. I cant remember who but it was about £10 for the week. The trouble is I could not see exactly how the defined mountain biking. It seemed very ambiguous to me and I could not get any clarity when I phoned. I went with Snowcard in the end. I guess what I am saying is the policy may just be fore riding along bridle ways on a mountain bike in the insurer’s eyes and there fore you may not be covered for your helicopter ride of the Plenney after a big huck over a road gap jump.

If you go with standard travel insurance I would advise you confirm with them exactly what is and more importantly what is not covered. Get this in writing as well and take it with you.

jesterthefirst
    Free Member

My partner and I only took out accidental insurance with Snowcard as we figured that everything else would be covered on house insurance. We paid £102 for 14 days. We insured ourselves with high altitude mountain biking.

It’s the best £102 we have ever spent. See my thread: The flip side of Morzine.

They were slow communicating with me for the first 2 days and I have no idea why – they kept saying that they would phone me back and eventually emailed me back with information I already knew. They also said they might be able to move me to a hotel. Fortunately I had a copy of the policy with me and as already mentioned in my previous thread, I reluctantly had to say I would submit a formal complaint if they didn’t contact me with 2-3 hrs of receiving my email. This opened up the communication channel and they were brilliant after that.

wayniac
    Free Member

Don’t use dog tag. My friend broke his wrist last year and it took him months to get his money back. He had to pay for everything himself then claim it back when he came returned home Had trouble contacting them and had a lot of trouble chasing them for his money.

Heard good things about snow card from the guy in the next bed in the hospital.

ben10
    Free Member

id go with combined insurance of america iv been with them for about 10 years there realy good no problems when you get hurt the’ll cover you for anything had it when i raced moto x and dont think i’ll ever get rid of it iv had some big claim’s and never a problem

Potdog
    Free Member

This is now more important than ever for riders visiting Spain as from the 1st of July there will be a charge for rescues where the person being rescued has been deemed to have put themselves at risk. For a single person, this could be as much as 6000€, but there is a sliding scale for this as the group being rescued grows in size.

Anyway, the “charge” will not be enforced at your hospital bedside, but the authorities say that they will pursue non payers through what ever means necessary.

A local wind surfer who got into difficulties getting back to shore could be the first person to be stung when a chopper and local coast guard vessel were scrambled to get him to safety!

Not sure how much exposure this has received outside of Spain, but it’s been in all the local papers here, so beware and make sure you’re insured! This is even applicable to hikers who are deemed to have put themselves at risk on dangerous paths or maybe ventured out in adverse conditions or poorly equipped.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Now, what might a normal mtber call ‘extreme ground conditions’? Lava? Quicksand? Open water? Nope, according to insure and go, it’s ‘anything that isn’t tarmac’

[vaderdeathvoice]Drag me back to the tarmac and call OINC [/vaderdeathvoice]

tomhoward

[vaderdeathvoice]Drag me back to the tarmac and call OINC [/vaderdeathvoice]

I was thinking a square foot of Tarmac in the camelbak?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Biking Insurance Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.