Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • mountain bikers blocking the trail
  • jools182
    Free Member

ok, so I’m having a moan, but I’m tired and grumpy

seems to be happening every time I go out

round Ladybower last weekend a group of 4 mountain bikers stopped for a chat, completely blocking the fire road around the reservoir, no attempt to move when we approached forcing us through the drainage ditch at the side of the road

then the week before coming down the fast bit at Mount Famine, 2 mountain bikers sat on the banking but they left both their bikes lying down right across the trail, had to come to a stop and walk my bike around

what’s wrong with people?

…I’ll be less grumpy later on, hopefully

Trekster

+1
    and add trail litter to that 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pet hate of mine too. In both cases I would have said something. Did you?

hora
    Free Member

Agree with TJ

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m on a busy tram and everyone is trying to stand in the doorway and then moaning when people push past… basically the general public are idiots and have no consideration for anyone but themselves

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ride the trail as you find it. If it was a rock or tree root, you’d try and ride it.

Totally agree though. Why is it these people instinctively know how to spoil the best lines.

hillsplease

Agreed. You’d think the opportunity not to have folk riding into you at 30mph would be enough incentive to get off the trail.

Folk rarely stop for a natter in the middle of a ‘B’ road, for example.

Jools – not grumpy – just a lot of burks about who choose not to engage brain, like ThePodge said.

Trekster

6ft tall and 15st fully loaded tends to be enough to make people move out of the way when up to speed 😈 Can be quite “assertive” when needs must 😉
    Usually the annoying person who tells/asks others not to block trail when out on a group ride 🙄

hora
    Free Member

On a unrelated note. I was talking to two MX riders on the Beast last weekend and I was amazed when they said they can get from Sheffield to Peaks/round and back on just £8!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

only slightly worse than mountain bikers out at night who finish a section of trail, then turn round to watch you come down without turning helmet lights off so you can’t see a ****’ thing…

luked2
    Free Member

What are MX riders doing on the Beast? It’s a bridleway!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I always say something in instances like this…

‘Oh, great place to stop that :roll:’

rOcKeTdOg

i can’t understand it, but then i get annoyed by people dawdling in shopping centres

trail litter really annoys me

KINGTUT
    Free Member

This I think in going to be one of the drawbacks (maybe the only one) when the Bristol trails have been developed.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

We found the best bit on Roych Clough completely blocked on Sunday; 2 landrovers blocking the road at the start of the section, 2 **** about trying to drive down it and 2 more at the bottom blocking it. If you don’t know the trail, getting past them involved scrambling up a 4 foot bank and then dropping back down.

No apology, no attempt to unobstruct the right of way. It’s a BOAT innit, we can drive it, so we’re also allowed to block it seemed to be the attitude.

elaineanne
    Free Member

its soo annoying aint it wen you ave to get off ya bike and walk round :roll:……..`i always make sure i never block paths (its not difficlut to shift ya bike onto the banking now is it… 😉 please be considerate people. we all have lines to look at…lets use them not abuse them ! 😉 :mrgreen:

stumpy01

Had the same thing at Cwm Carn the other week – two blokes in one of the woody descent bits not long after you get to the exposed top where the freeride route starts.

Admittedly they moved out the way pretty quick and mumbled an apology, but I was thundering along at a nice old pace and they were just stopped mid-trail having a natter. It wasn’t even the end of a section/top of a climb.
    Didn’t really bother me, but I had to brake to about walking pace and it just seemed like a really odd place to stop without making some attempt to move to the side.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Numpties to be honest there is only one reason you should block a trail and that is for a fallen rider.

As for trail litter there is no excuse ,I did the dragon sportif a couple of years ago and was shocked by the aount of litter dropped by riders again no excuse.

epicyclo

Ride over their wheels.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Sounds to me like you have found a few snowboarders who happen to also own mountain bikes.

Speshpaul

Llandegla = its the law to stand blocking the beginning or end of a section.
    And it you are in a big you can all try a ride off at the same time when you see some else trying to start the section. I mean it is a race after all!

cb

Pet hate about group holidays – especially technical climbs. Normally at least one in a group that doesn’t understand that the person behind would actually like to try the climb that they just failed. Get up and get out of the way!!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

They’ll be Snowboarders 😉

yunki
    Free Member

This I think in going to be one of the drawbacks (maybe the only one) when the Bristol trails have been developed.

Is this becuase Bristolians are renowned for their selfishness and ignorance when indulging their passion for a chinwag..?

I’m not sure that I understand your statement..

PJM1974
    Free Member

On a side note, I was at Thetford a few years back riding with friends. I was the last through the Beast and had to brake sharply and avoid a woman who was sitting and looking dazed in the middle of the trail. She’d had a nasty off having overcooked it on a corner.

Turned out that I was the first person to actually enquire if she was alright, the two guys before me had yelled at her for getting in their way.

That said, people who sprawl bikes out right across the trail and come to think of it Saturday shopping meanderthals really annoy the heck out of me.

mintimperial

On the pootle on Saturday there was a group of three or four lads on big bikes with full-face helmets sat at the bottom of a hill nattering. To be fair, they were only half blocking the trail, but because of where they were sat they basically forced us to ride over a patch of ice. Most of us managed to stay upright, but the chap behind me (on a Cannondale with a Lefty) was unlucky and went over on it. I’d expect that sort of gormlessness from ramblers and the like, but mountainbikers should really be a bit more considerate.

Maybe it’s because they’re such incredibly good riders that they never get overtaken and therefore never have to get out of anyone’s way normally? Yes, that must be it…

Kahurangi

only slightly worse than mountain bikers out at night who finish a section of trail, then turn round to watch you come down without turning helmet lights off so you can’t see a ****’ thing…

I only do this if I’m having a bad day and want to see you fall off 😉

KonaTC

Add to blocking the trail parking with the aim of taking up a least 2 if not 3 spaces

hora
    Free Member

If its technical and you risk coming off on the run out then I say ride over a wheel(s). Tough.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Half bikes – use ’em for traction

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Is this becuase Bristolians are renowned for their selfishness and ignorance when indulging their passion for a chinwag..?

I’m not sure that I understand your statement..

The combination of tight twisty trails and a significant increase* in traffic once the new trails are open.

It’s not the end of the world though.

*My prediction.

LoCo
    Free Member

Came across a bike laid across the trail at Cwmcarn just on the exit to the tunnel after the corkscrew on the ‘freeride’ area at the top, over bars onto my knees both cut open, cue alot of swearing from me.

The chap was part of a group of about 10 and said ‘how was I supposed to know some one was going to ride through there?’

eh!? I not a violent chap but did consider chinning him for a split second 😳

flamejob
    Free Member

*gloat

We don’t have other people on the trails here.

[edit=Here in Malaga that is; why do I assume people know where I am- dooh.]

hora
    Free Member

LoCo- I had this on the Dragons Back recently.

Lad at the back of a group decided to stop in the centre of the trail just before the end of the section to ‘chat to his mates’ all ahead and off the trail on the fireroad. I stopped on a steep bit and had one of those- almost over the bars/forward to the left motions just before I managed to get my left foot unclipped.

I let them zip off ahead at the next stretch as a few of them looked seriously fast as well. Lots of room and managed to catch up with the same bloke again who went off the trail into a drainage ditch flipping over the bars.

Poetic.

bigjim

Throwing inner tubes into the bushes is my pet hate at trail centres, and yes along with stopping at the end of a trail section and blocking the route.

Jamie
    Free Member

On the pootle on Saturday there was a group of three or four lads on big bikes with full-face helmets sat at the bottom of a hill nattering. To be fair, they were only half blocking the trail, but because of where they were sat they basically forced us to ride over a patch of ice. Most of us managed to stay upright, but the chap behind me (on a Cannondale with a Lefty) was unlucky and went over on it.

I did wonder how that elegant dismount occurred.

portlyone

People who stop for a chat in doorways and don’t bother to move before you have to push past/shout annoy me… interestingly it’s worse in Spain/South America, cultural differences I assume.

nosedive
    Free Member

funny that llandegla has been mentioned, does seem particularly bad for it. Usually scrotes wearing beanies in groups of about 15.

having said that my worst experience at llandegla for trail blocking was a day last winter when the olympic mtb team were training there. they acted like they owned the place and were stood on top of the dirt jumps having little discussions. annoying!

jools182
    Free Member

as yet I’ve not said anything as I’ve been a bit dumbstruck that they just stand and watch you struggling past

now that I have the stw massive on my side though….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Up at Gisburn 2-3 weeks ago a group of about 10 riders decided to all stop at the end of one of the board sections right where it met the fire road basically blocking the next section of route.

They then all stopped in a line on a nice section of singletrack, one of them did shout jokingly that they could have chosen a better place to stop, others just looked unimpressed as we continued to ride on past pretty close to them…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘mountain bikers blocking the trail’ is closed to new replies.