Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Motorway etiquette
  • Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Seen this so many times over the last couple of months that, in true keyboard warrior style, I felt the need to share it. What is it with (in most cases women drivers) drivers that seem incapable of using the outside lane on a motorway? So many times these days you can be trundling along in the middle lane, overtaking slower traffic inside you, outside lane free and a car comes barrelling up behind you, slams the anchors on and sits there until you move back into the inside lane. At which point they then squeeze harder on the loud pedal and disappear into the distance in the middle lane. Is it really so very difficult to move into the outside lane to pass me while maintaining your speed? I mean, it’s not really difficult concept is it?

Not intending to pick on women drivers particularly but it does seem to be predominantly women drivers that are afflicted by this bizarre condition. Makes me smile though when they accelerate away from you only to slow down again half a mile up the road when they come across another car going slower than them in the middle lane…..

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh god…

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve never had that. You need to drive faster.

Drac

binners

Oh dear…

richmtb

I can’t say I ever seen this.

Normally I’ll use the outside lane to get passed before returning to the normally empty inside lane.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think lane discipline is generally piss poor here. Not helped of course by the M25 stay in lane signs that actively encourage no lane discipline!

One would have thought it isn’t beyond the realms of possibility to having government decision makers vetted to ensure that they at least have the IQ of a carrot.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Yes, yes, yes, I know, I could drive faster. But for now I am happy bimbling along at 75-80 as it seems a reasonably economical speed to be driving at.

Maybe it’s just an M4 thing…..

richmtb

I think lane discipline is generally piss poor here. Not helped of course by the M25 stay in lane signs that actively encourage no lane discipline!

M8 is the same, it encourages piss poor lane discipline by having exits and junctions on the outside lane! 😯

So some people think they are perfectly justified in hogging the outside lane as their exit is on that side…

… in six miles

Gary_M
    Free Member

I am happy bimbling along at 75-80 as it seems a reasonably economical speed to be driving at

Can’t move into the inside lane when he should and thinks its acceptable to drive above the speed limit.

This won’t end well.

hammerite
    Free Member

At one point last year I think I managed a couple of junctions on the M1 on the inside lane without anyone overtaking me, sticking to about 70mph while the other lanes were a speed up/slow down fest. Only had to move out a few times to get round lorries (must have been a quiet lorry day).

Hardly anyone tries to use the inside lane.

tutgareth
    Free Member

I was only taught how to drive on motorways after I had passed my test and went for and advanced driving course, maybe that lack of training people have to drive on motorways is the problem…
    other things like how to use your mirrors before changing lanes and indicate when changing lanes would be seen more often if proper training was given too…

oh and people who sit in the overtaking lanes (middle and outside) rather than using the correct lane when not overtaking!! maybe compulsory training would be suitable…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Just sit in the middle lane at 55mph. That’ll learn ’em.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, seen this, annoying. Won’t use fast lane or slow lane, it’s middle lane all the way. I guess they feel that the middle lane suits their demographic.

molgrips
    Free Member

But for now I am happy bimbling along at 75-80 as it seems a reasonably economical speed to be driving at.

It’s not…!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Troll!

Yer supposed to stay in the left lane unless overtaking and if the lorry youre overtaking is 2 miles away , move left ya muppet. people too lazy to move left are the curse of our motorways.

somouk
    Free Member

Not just women that do this, some older blokes also do it.

I think it’s to do with the stigma of being on the outside lane and expected to speed or get someone behind you very angrily flashing lights.

The more annoying time is when you’re sitting in the inside lane indicating to pull out and the annoying person won’t move out to the outside lane and allow you out to the middle lane despite the outside lane being completely clear and them wanting to get past the obstruction in lanes 1 and 2!

phil.w
    Free Member

The more annoying time is when you’re sitting in the inside lane indicating to pull out and the annoying person won’t move out to the outside lane and allow you out to the middle lane despite the outside lane being completely clear and them wanting to get past the obstruction in lanes 1 and 2!

Generally, if you just start moving over they soon get out the way.

Drac

I was only taught how to drive on motorways after I had passed my test

I’d hope so. 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

This really pi55es me off, actually drives me to a homicidal fury, dont make me slow down or go into the back of the truck just move out of the way 😕

Moe

Trucks that drive in convoys of three or four nose to tail past junctions …….WTF

Basil

Got ‘copiers to sell, I need to drive faster than you.
    How about thinking of others for a change?

vinnyeh

It’s not the middle lane that gets hogged though, observation suggests its the lane to the left of the fast lane. Round here, where there’s 4 lanes, for some reason the almost bimblers feel obliged to congregate in the third lane, leaving the second as an empty piece of road.

richmtb

This really pi55es me off, actually drives me to a homicidal fury, dont make me slow down or go into the back of the truck just move out of the way

For people capable of working their indicators I am more than happy to move over.

I’ll even slow down in the middle lane and flash them out if the outside lane isn’t clear for me to move over.

If they can’t be bothered using the little lever to make their little orange light flash then I can’t be bothered to change lanes

khani
    Free Member

Put your fog lights on, that’ll learn em…

binners

I’ve always viewed middle laners as unfortunate victims of pesky kids, who’ve jammed the poor buggers seats in the furthest forward position, then craftily put super glue on the end of their noses, so they stick to the windscreen

Pigface
    Free Member

If they can’t be bothered using the little lever to make their little orange light flash then I can’t be bothered to change lanes

Of course you have to indicate only a moron would change lanes on a motorway with out doing so.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No. It doesn’t. It’s just that folk struggle to understand how variable speed limits work.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My ex used to just drive everywhere in the middle lane, left foot resting on the clutch, dabbing the brake everytime a thought popped into her head, in 4th gear beacuse she always got 3rd when she tried to change into 5th.

I think there is still an imprint of my hand on the passenger arm rest from gripping it so tightly to prevent myself from saying anything.

officialtob
    Free Member

This thread has molgrips written all over it.

crazy-legs

Motorway etiquette

There is no motorway etiquette observed in this country at all.
    Are most drivers allergic to the inside lane?

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve not really experienced the sort of situation the OP is describing, but it amazes me and boils my piss in equal measures when people sit in the middle lane on a reasonably empty stretch of motorway.

Why is it so infuriating? It really does annoy me.

DezB
    Free Member

You cannot criticise women’s handling of motor vehicles…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4TIWECZ30[/video]

richmtb

Of course you have to indicate only a moron would change lanes on a motorway with out doing so.

Plenty of morons about it would seem.

Yeah me too.

There is only two reasons you would do it, either you are so fraking mind blowingly lazy and selfish that you just drive in the middle lane because moving out for the occasional truck or junction is too much like effort.

Or you are so skull crushingly stupid that you haven’t bothered to learn how to drive on the motorway or indeed picked it up from everyone else round about you what bloody lane to drive in.

Having to share oxygen with these people really does boil my piss

hammerite
    Free Member

+1 Peter. Especially when a motorway is quiet and you end up moving out of the inside lane to the outside lane to overtake a car, then once clearing them move straight back into the inside lane.

Now don’t get me started on peoples inability to use an inside lane on a 3 lane roundabout when they’re taking the 2nd exit. I work in Milton Keynes it’s a wonder I’m not on anti depressants by now I get so annoyed.

grum
    Free Member

but it amazes me and boils my piss in equal measures when people sit in the middle lane on a reasonably empty stretch of motorway.

True, but it’s also really annoying when you do pull back in to the inside lane, then can’t get out again because people aren’t leaving any gaps/letting you out.

Now I’m no racist, and one of my best mates is Indian…..

Classic.

richmtb

Woah,

Good Ninja edit from rebel12 there. The internets might have melted

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Woah! Go away for 5 minutes and there’s a stampede. 😀

Good call on the middle laners overtaking you at barely 1mph faster than you are travelling but fail to move over to let you out. That one does get frustrating.

Not sure if some misread my original post but just to clarify, no, I don’t live in the middle lane. Left lane unless overtaking.

And Molgrips – yes, I know that 70-80 is not the most economical speed to travel at but I ain’t driving at 60ish on the motorway (unless conditions dictate) and it is slower than I used to drive. And that was less economical than my current speeds.

fasthaggis

2 pages and nobody has mentioned the cruise control overtakers yet 🙂
    I witnessed this new phenomenon while on the lovely M6 at the weekend. They have it set to *mph and take 20 minutes forever to overtake the vehicle on the left that is doing 2miles less than *mph.
    Do they lose motorway points if they need to brake or put their foot down ?

🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

The real reason most people don’t use the outside lane is cos they know it’s reserved for Audis and BMWs travelling at 90mph.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Motorway etiquette’ is closed to new replies.