Home Forums Chat Forum Motorhome holidays?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Motorhome holidays?
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

We’re thinking of taking a month off to motor round the British Isles in a motorhome – not a massive one, but one big enough for its own shower, so it would be bigger than a VW van, for instance.

Not used a motorhome before.

What’s it like? Do you end up just stopping where you like the look of, bikepacking style? Or do you tend to end up in campsites (which would defeat the object IMO).

My worry is that we’d end up more tied to the motorhome than freed by it. That we’d only end up exploring walking distance from campsites cos of the hassle and size of the thing.

Or is it not really like that?

Any experience or advice?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve done it once a year for the past few years and it is pretty free and relaxed, moreso than a caravan.

We’ve always gone with the bike and pitched up in laybys or car parks where it’s been convenient for what we wanted to do, not planning things we wanted to based on where was convenient to camp. This year we followed the weather on a very rainy easter weekend and didn’t get rained on once. You could also stop where you like the look of.

I’ve always used a big overcab job and you can still park them in most car parks, the size makes little difference unless you have a full on winnebago thing.

purser_mark
    Free Member

I find the freedom great. I think the key is not to get sucked into renting / buying a massive van.

We just traded up from a T5 to a fiat Ducato SWB high top. The T5 was too small for anything longer than a weekend with gear etc. in. An awning solved this on a campsite but there are times you want to wild camp beside the road etc.

The Ducato has a proper toilet, this greatly improves your independence in my experience.

We spent two weeks in the Alps last summer, with only 3 days in a campsite. This was to do some washing / empty loo / fill water tanks etc. There are places to do this without staying over night but lake Annecey is a pretty cool place to hang out.

A bigger van is more stressful to drive. There maybe times you have to pull a u turn or drive up some mountain roads. You have to be comfortable doing that and not losing sleep over it. It’s always a compromise between space and practicality.

One thing we have found useful. If you join the caravan club you can use the sites facilities for a small fee without staying overnight. ie shower, power, waste disposal, fresh water for about £7. If you are travelling on the continent they are much better organised.

Enjoy it’s a right laugh!

purser_mark
    Free Member

ps, check out Britstops….

epicsteve
    Free Member

We’ve owned motorhomes for over 10 years now and have been around a lot of Europe as well as all over the UK including the far north west and islands of Scotland. While there are a few places I won’t take the motorhome (I prefer not to have to try and park in the middle of cities for example) we don’t generally find it a constraint and will drive it most places (and ours is a fair size – 7.5m). We also use public transport as well as walking and cycling to get around.

As well as using campsites we also wild camp at times – if we’re doing that for longer periods we take a very quiet generator but the batteries are fine for a couple of days anyway.

towzer

Autosleeper Nuevo Ek, 5.71m, smallest we could find with all mod cons, been everywhere (well London to Western isles, all over NW Scotland, W Scotland etc etc, goes everywhere (*3.5 tonnes, 7 ft 6ish width and 9ft 3 height limits) it is well scratched(shrubbery) on both sides now tho. I wouldn’t want it as a daily driver tho.

Get 4 step ramps (fridges don’t work if they’re way off kilter)
    For Scotland (and other insect ridden places) get one with window/door meshes.
    A microwave meal can be handy when you’re knackered
    Telly (and ipad/etc prerecordings etc) handy if monsoon season turns up
    Messy kit messes up inside VERY QUICKLY (hallo mr bin liner) and you have limited drying space on wet days
    Get one with ext bbq point as can take some messy/cooking outside
    Get one with a reversing camera
    Understand your water/toilet/gas and battery capacities(solar panel) usage and pick one with the right sized tanks etc for you
    Get a road map with width/height etc restrictions marked.
    Buy those folding pans/kettles and a pair of crocs
    Understand your winterisation needs (as they’re not all winterized – body insulation, blinds, tank heaters etc)
    Some can have quite small ‘weight allowances’ so be aware of that.
    Awnings are handy – except when it’s windy

We mix off piste with site stays – we tend to site if biking (decent showers etc) (there are quite a few websites for cheeky stops/ pub stops etc) and every so often you will probably want a launderette/water/loo empty/supplies etc.

We tend to research our sites and look for local things for us to do, local public transport and facilities (pubs etc) so we can have a few days there – but we tend not to book so we can changes plan enroute as we often stumble onto unexpected wee gems.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My mate has just bought a brand new http://www.rollerteammotorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes/t-line/590

It’s got a droppy down fixed bed which is a great idea but the space inside is quite compact. It’s classed as 4 berth but It would be a bloody tight fit to get 4 in with just personal stuff never mind bikes & associated gear. There’s just him & the Mrs though. He’s still learning the ropes so has only been to a couple of ‘proper’ sites.
    Wer’e getting a caravan next year, which will suit our needs better than a MH. (& we don’t have 38K lying around)

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Hey, thanks for all this. We’re only thinking of renting one for a month, it’s about 5.5 m x 3.5 I think but looks pretty cool inside.

I’m starting to like the idea again now!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I rented one for the first time this easter. It was from Amber Leisure in Luton who were much cheaper than everywhere else at £209 for four nights. Brand new 16 plate four berth van with a bike rack and fixed rear bed and telly. Under the rear bed was a store with outside access for tools and mucky kit which was great.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Motorhome holidays?’ is closed to new replies.