Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • (Motor)bike advice wanted
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

As I’ve mentioned before I’ve decided to sell my Triumph Daytona before I lose my licence, but I still can’t decide what to replace it with other than it has to be a naked bike.
    I want something with plenty of torque and not too big (for B road fun). I’ve ridden a nice Monster, would really like another Triumph so am also looking out for Speed Triples and Fours.
    Anybody else ‘downsized’ and not lived to regret it??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Several of my mates have. Depends what yo use it for and how much you want to spend.

One mate built a tuned Harris streetfighter – very very fast – but rides his triumph triple more.

BMW 800? Monster?? Aprilla 250 2 stroke ( I always wanted one) How about a classic – or a modern copy of one?

-m-
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what is it about a Speed Triple that makes you think you’d be less likely to lose your licence with it than your Daytona?

smogmonster

I own a CB1000R – not sure how you would be less likely to lose your licence with a naked than the Daytona – its a LOT faster than the Trumpet, and its by no means the fastest naked thou out there. The Speed Triple is just as fast (ie mentally fast). Id suggest a CG125 for your predicament.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

SV 650

bassspine
    Free Member

second the SV650. Brilliant, fun bike. I loved mine.
    Also consider BMW F650GS, great for backroads and hilarious fun for city riding.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Should have explained myself better – going naked so that at least I can feel I’m going fast, and less likely to stay there! I think the different riding position would also be better at lower speeds on smaller roads where there’s less chance of building speed.
    And no, a 125 is not the answer thank you 😉

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Doubt the cb1000 is a lot faster, if any, than the 955i…. and even if it is I doubt you would spend long doing more than 90 out in the breeze!

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what you ride all can induce the loss of a licence you just need to learn when to wring it’s neck 🙂
    For b road scratching then you want either a super motard or stick with what you have but if you are adamant go for a KTM heaps of torque but you will have to change your riding style to get the best out of it.
    With regards to your comment “at least I can feel i’m going fast and less likely to stay there” sense of speed is relative to how accustomed your brain is to it therefore once your brain is accustomed to a certain speed it no longer appears fast.

scruttocks
    Free Member

I went from a ZX-6R to an F800GS for the same reason, not looked back.

It’s still capable of licence killing speed, but the wind blast makes sure you don’t stay there long and the power delivery makes sense when making more sedate progress.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

scruttocks – how’s that 800 beemer motor?

juan
    Free Member

I quite like the bemer F 800 R very nice.
    How about as TJ said an old school classic à la ace café? SR 500 XS 650. What about the best bike on earth (SRX 600) ;). Or the new kawasaki W800 :d

Cougar

I can’t see how the Monster isn’t anything other than your perfect bike, TBH.

Though, I’d be Hornet-bound myself.

bassspine
    Free Member

scruttocks – the F800 engine is a beaut isn’t it! it just feels like it’s going on to accelerate into space

ivantate
    Free Member

Another vote for the SV650 although you will still be more than capable of losing your license. I have had 2 and its great fun upgrading them and still being able to stick with most other bikes (sub 100mph).

I had a mildly tweeked SV1000 afterwards which I sold at the start of the year for the same reason, after riding it in Italy for 2 years I had no respect for any signs/laws etc…

Was thinking along the same lines for a smaller neked bike but have just put a deposit on a Triumph Tiger 1050. Hoping the ‘touring style’ will encourage more sensible behaviour but not limit the fun and long distance capability.

If you only want to blast around locally you can go for a supermoto.

Hairychested
    Free Member

SV650 or a small Monster if you please.

swompy
    Free Member

if you want to preserve your licence get an old honda superdream 250, if you can find a hill long enough to generate enough speed to break the law , then they would probably take pity on you anyway

m0nster2
    Free Member

I’ve had a Monster or two (hence the name) and would highly recommend them – but am currently on a Kawasaki Z750 and find it a brilliant allrounder.

scruttocks
    Free Member

@oldgrump08 & bassspine – the 800 motor is a peach, stomp like a single away from the lights (important on the London commute 🙂 – but no wheezyness at the top end like a single.

Oh yeah, it returns 50mpg on the commute (without trying) and 60mpg with the GF on the back.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Thanks for all your thoughts.
    m0nster2 – which Dukes did you have? Are you on the latest kwacker 750? The previous version seems to get a bit of a pasting in reviews….

Shepdon
    Free Member

Hi have you considered a 675 Street Triple R, my father had the standard Street triple and it was a stunning little bike with plenty or torque and plenty quick enough for the road (Check out all the reviews in the bike mags). I was looking for one when I recently sold my 04 ZX10R but her indoors told me that what ever bike I bought to replace my ZX I had to keep for at least 2years so thought it best to stick to what I know and bought a 07 GSXR1000. I now regret not buying a STR, well worth a look.
    Regards

br
    Free Member

Was thinking along the same lines for a smaller neked bike but have just put a deposit on a Triumph Tiger 1050. Hoping the ‘touring style’ will encourage more sensible behaviour but not limit the fun and long distance capability.

I bought a Tiger, replaced a Fazor 1000 and a zx9r before that, going for slower bikes made no impact on my commuting time – but did mean that I couldn’t keep up with friends on sports bikes on fast roads.

But before you go ‘naked’, try riding one in winter/rain/wind…

tbh my last naked bike was a 350LC in 1983.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I had a ZX6R for a while but rode it at 3 figure speeds pretty much everywhere so figured I needed a naked to slow down a bit.

Went for an Aprilia Tuono (one of the few nakeds I’ve always lusted after) and I love it. Sounds amazing with the Miv GP titanium cans on, huge amount of mid-range grunt, sportsbike handling, comfy(ish). Ok, over 100mph the windblast gets you, but that’s kinda the point…. 😉

Here’s mine (crappy iphone pic):

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Call yerself and old grump – try a BMW. Not ridden the 800 but by all accounts a nice bike. Choose your flavour.

TheFlyingOx

How about a Buell? The X1 Lightning would fit the bill:

martinxyz
    Free Member

if only all lightnings looked as nice as that.i like buells though.i always check out whats for sale on auto trader and pistonheads in the buell section.

Spongebob
    Free Member

As I’ve mentioned before I’ve decided to sell my Triumph Daytona before I lose my licence, but I still can’t decide what to replace it with other than it has to be a naked bike.

May I suggest replacing the last word of the above sentence with the words “nubile nympho”?

failedengineer

Wait for the new Tiger 800? New Speed Triple with the controversial new lights?
    I had a 955 Speed Triple and chopped it in for a Sprint ST1050. There’s no doubt about it, you ride faster on a faired bike! I quite fancy a Street triple next, me.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

TJ – have been sneaking a look at the F800s, maybe it’s time for a test ride….
    aka-gilo – love the Tuono, but don’t you ride everywhere on the back wheel???
    Should have mentioned – budget is £4k absolute max, so Street Triple is out 🙁

failedengineer

In that case, may i suggest a nice 955 Speed Triple? Should get on eof the last ones for that – 54 plate. Looks fab in all black, IMHO.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Unfortunately 955i S Triples seem to hold their price well – could be looking at a high mileage or 02 model for around £4k.

failedengineer

Had a look on Autotrader – there’s 1 or 2 for much less than that which look good. If I could sell my ST I’d have another like a shot.

alanf
    Free Member

My mates got a daytona 955 that he’s speed tripled in a fashion!
    No fairings and instead of the big bulbous Daytone back end, its got a 2005 R6 back end – proper conversion of the seat subframe and the r6 frame integrated with the Daytona mounting points.
    He’s selling it as he’s just got a Thunderbird sport – its on ebay I think but I can get some pics if you’re interested and a spec?
    Its all black by the way – black panels, frame and engine with a grey stripe through the top – it looks amazing for what he’s done to it – certainly turns heads

martinxyz
    Free Member

Theres a daytona super 3 in mcn.it has 20k, fsh,1995, £2695.

its in dorset.supposed to be a bit rare?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

failedengineer – tks, will take a look.

alanf – will have a look on ebay….

smogmonster

OldGrump, having previously owned a Daytona, and now owning a CB1000r (you might be thinking of the CBF1000, which is for old farts…im talking about the naked, detuned Fireblade engined one), i can confirm that it is noticeably faster, particularly from 30-100mph and at least upto 120mph, where the Daytona has higher gearing (and a fairing!).

Dibbs
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

sorry skipped to the end
    I have an Aprilia Futura, not to everyon’s taste, but the same engine (RSV Mille) is in the semi-faired SL1000 Falco. 1000cc VTwin, so torgue a plenty, but not that fast and probably up top some idiot behaviour on b roads
    And a bit different as well, but parts are easy enough to source as the engine and major parts were used in several different bikes. For me plastics are the only problem.
    Mine’s is totally reliable, apart from the electrics, so you might need to be confortable there, but even then the main problem has been the sidestand cutout switch

juan
    Free Member

Call yerself and old grump – try a BMW. Not ridden the 800 but by all accounts a nice bike. Choose your flavour.

There is one flavour missing 😉

oldgrump08
    Free Member

smogmonster – which is why the Honda isn’t an option, and why a 955i Speed Triple could be! My Daytona has plenty enough acceleration for me, and I wouldn’t want to hang on to anything naked over 90 for any length of time….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘(Motor)bike advice wanted’ is closed to new replies.