Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Most technical trail Thrunton woods
  • fergal
    Free Member

saw this rock feature someone had ridden down that must be 70/80 degrees, like a small cliff, well impressed, just left of the start to traverse of the dogs, which stw’er was it then 😀

noidea
    Free Member

As it is an illegal trail the forestry comission are due to remove it. Sadly due to the actions of a small minority it has also brought an end to some other trails in the forest.

STATO
    Free Member

Local enduro-ists. Far more skill than stw’ers

P20

Definitely not me, way beyond my abilities. I’m enjoying some of the mellower stuff though

STATO
    Free Member

Hmm. Seem to have lost half my post. What I also said was there are lots of videos of Instagram about it.

seanodav
    Free Member

It’s good however could have been better,if it had been done without upsetting fc.
    Landings are a bit flat but suppose you can’t do then with a folding saw.
    Shame really

beano68
    Free Member

It still has something for everyone, I always fall off there regardless 😐

fergal
    Free Member

Think i just watched a ride train sending it on instagram, on camera it looks quite tame 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

link to the vids?

seanodav
    Free Member

Just had pink panther pulled out partly down to them vids, caused a bit of trouble for a local shop as well. Probably not a good idea

simonside
    Free Member

The “innocence” of Thrunton has sadly been destroyed by the internet, and strava….

dlr

Hope they don’t start pulling stuff down up there 🙁 I always head there when visiting family nearby and love the trails although try to avoid the more silly ones and do recall walking/mincing part of pink panther before…. Presume there is an unofficial relationship with the FC and they tolerate most of the trails? Always wondered how stones etc get in there and piled at the start of some sections to be taken in for repairing.

STATO
    Free Member

simon side – Member

The “innocence” of Thrunton has sadly been destroyed by the internet

I think that was a given as soon the Trailbuilders made a website advertising it was a place to ride. Not putting signage up has meant people just ride around looking for stuff and ‘cheeky’ trails become the ridden in and part of the trail network, whether they were built officially or not.

seanodav
    Free Member

There is a very official relationship with fc, and a good one. However some people dont do official unfortunately aware of it or not.

seanodav
    Free Member

There isn’t a problem in riding cheeky trails, it’s the illegal building and promotion of the place.

beano68
    Free Member

This was bound to happen at some point, such a shame tbh.. as if there wasn’t enough trails there in the 1st place !?
    I’ve been going there now for a few years and I’m still good trails … well pissing off the FC is not a good idea.

seanodav
    Free Member

To be fair its been sorted hopefully.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aah the usual, blame strava bollocks!

wenanwhere
    Free Member

All the info about the setup at Thrunton has been on the trailbuilders website for years along with contact details to find out more if anyone was in doubt. Also amazing how many rumours and mis-quotes float around e.g. ‘they are ripping out Pink Panther’ which is not the case. You will find the trail builders a cracking bunch, happy to show anyone around and a group that have put in a lot of time and effort behind the scenes building and maintaining a strong relationship with the FC and Landowner. They have also worked hard to engage with other local riding groups and it looks like there has been some great input recently from CHR and others as a result, happy days.

From the website:

‘We have a signed agreement with the FC for building and maintaining the trails in Thrunton Woods, and develop them with the objective of keeping them as natural as possible.

We are totally self funded as a group, with some help from the Forestry Commission for materials and tools. The types of trails tend to be towards the technical cross country style.

The group is very low key, we keep bureaucracy to a minimum and build trails that we enjoy to ride.’

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

In an ideal world people wouldn’t post internet threads about Thrunton or log their rides on Strava. However we know that’s never going to happen. I’m a strava addict myself but its definitely part of the problem.
    So failing that it shouldn’t be too much to ask to for people to respect the woods, the FC, and the trail builders by firstly not building unsanctioned trails then secondly posting videos of said trails online.

dlr

Yes really shouldn’t post videos with the location in the name. Thanks to the builders, if I ever move up there (long term plan) I will be getting involved.

Similar situation where I am with a FC wood, group formed, agreement with the FC to maintain and (currently) not build any new trails then you get other people building ones with jumps etc crossing footpaths which obviously get ripped out and all they do is spout rage at the FC online with it potentially harming the long term use of the woods for the sensible riders. If you don’t like land owners telling you what you can and can’t do on their own land go buy your own! We are lucky to have the FC.

seanodav
    Free Member

When I said ripping out pp I meant the woodwork. We will put pp back when we can however, to become an official trail, hopefully better…

fergal
    Free Member

Ooops forgot about the politics involved, could the mods delete this thread please.

beano68
    Free Member

^^^^ 😉

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

“If you don’t like land owners telling you what you can and can’t do on their own land go buy your own! We are lucky to have the FC. “

Couldn’t agree more!

seanodav
    Free Member

Stato sent you pm via messenger, being messanger it may not reach you unless you look. Cheers Sean

bigwill
    Free Member

I thought this one had being sorted. those that had been building a few of the illegal trails have realized the need of gaining approval from the FC/TTB, and have paid subs towards the TTB, and i believe even offered to attend an official dig day?

everyone now understands that the digging up of pp by the FC whilst sad, was done as the timbers were rotten, and the use of timbers was in breach of agreement. and from comments by the trail builders, they hope it will be rebuilt with full approval in the future, which would be super cool.

hope the mini shit storm is over and yes I 2nd this thread getting pulled.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Most technical trail Thrunton woods’ is closed to new replies.