Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Morzine – hiring a road bike…
  • DT78
    Free Member

So off to Morzine in August with my mountain biking buddies, but I feel the need since I am now a secret roadie to hire a road bike and ride up one of the famous climbs.

When I looked at hiring a DH bike it was eye wateringly expensive, however don’t think I can take both bikes in the motor with everything I’ve got to take.

Can you hire a road bike for the day out there? Any recommendations?

metalheart
    Free Member

There was a place renting Scott’s on the main road out of the centre (Route de la Plagne).

Don’t know how much, guy form the chalet rented one for a trip up the Alpe last summer. He seemed happy enough with it.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i was there last year. i didnt see any shops hiring road bikes though.

also i dont want to upset you but you do know that the pleney lift is being refurbished this summer?

“The Pleney bubble will be closed for the summer as I’m sure you have all heard the rumours. Morzine will be open as normal just without this 1 lift. The super Morzine will be opening earlier than normal from 15th June it will open at 8:30am each day and there will be a free bus service for mountainbikers between Morzine and Les Gets. We will also be offering our guests a shuttle service from Morzine to Les Gets after breakfast so you can make the most of the Portes Du Soleil area. Les Gets is open for Weekends from 25th May then every day 15th June, the full area will be open from Friday 28th June and there will be 23 lifts operating across the Portes Du Soliel.
    We are really excited about the new improved Pleney bubble which will be ready for Winter 2013/14, we will keep you updated throughout the summer with the progress…”

DT78
    Free Member

yes we know the pleney lift is closed, not ideal, but not the end of the world I’m told the rest is still open.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

For extra roadie points you have to come down the mountain using the lift

DT78
    Free Member

Gentle bump for the Sunday morning crowd….anyone?

b45her
    Free Member

http://www.cyclinginthealps.co.uk/cycle-hire-service.html

have a look here.

£20/day for a boardman team carbon.

metalheart
    Free Member

metalheart – Member

There was a place renting Scott’s on the main road out of the centre (Route de la Plagne).

Actually, it might have been a GT… 😳

Probably from here: http://www.bikehiremorzine.com/road.html

Had big banners outside it IIRC (but bearing in mind ny last recollection, that might have been somewhere completely different…)

Make sure it has a compact chainset though.

If you are planning on doing the Joux Plane circuit I’d recommend you do it from Samoens as apart from the good warm up its better to ascend that direction than descend (road surface wise).

Avoriaz is good to and La Ramaz I also enjoyed..

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks guys, good to have a couple of options. Not sure on the route yet….got to do a bit of research, it’ll only be one day so I want it to be memorable, either in terms of pain or scenary 🙂

weeksy

Its like going to a brothel and taking the wife to have sex with!

metalheart
    Free Member

If you want pain and scenery then I would recommend l’Encrenaz, La Ramaz, along the valley to Samoens and nip up the col de Joux Plane back to Morzine. If that’s not enough you could always nip up to Avoriaz. Now that would be an epic day! I’ve done it in reverse (apart from the Avoriaz bit) so its definitely doable. Infact I’ve done it that way too I think.

Just remember and take yer shades off before you enter the tunnel on the Ramaz as its pitch black with them on!

The route (according to my diary) is 97km and took 5.15 not including stopping for lunch in Samoens….

jimmy

Was there with pals 2 years ago who rented road bikes for a day, indeed GTs I think. Couldn’t tell you where in the village but just ask, tourist info and other shops all helpful.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Morzine – hiring a road bike…’ is closed to new replies.