Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Morris Dancing anyone here do it
  • grantway
    Free Member

Tell or show us your group

jambourgie
    Free Member

As if anyone’s gonna admit that on a public forum.

Coyote
    Free Member

😆

grantway
    Free Member

jambourgie – Member
    As if anyone’s gonna admit that on a public forum.

LOL but the exact answer I was expecting

tang
    Free Member

My uncle got into it, Walton on the Naze. I remember going to the do when he got whatever it is you get when you join. An absolute piss up, I was about 8 and was being fed ‘strong’ shandy all evening. He turned up at my cousins at 4 in the morning wearing his pants and that cross thing they wear so bladdered he could only crawl. As far as I could make out he was mainly in it for the beer.

crikey
    Free Member

Thomas Beecham suggested that you should try everything once except incest and morris dancing.

I concur.

bigblackshed

crikey – Member
    Thomas Beecham suggested that you should try everything once except incest and morris dancing.

I concur.

I’ll add buggery to that list.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As far as I could make out he was mainly in it for the beer.

Why couldn’t he get rat arsed without first prancing around in the company of other men ?

crikey
    Free Member

I’ll add buggery to that list.

Well…. might make your eyes water a wee bit, but…

JulianA
    Free Member

I concur.

The voice of experience, crikey? And you, bigblackshed!?

nedrapier

A celebration of british dance.

Pause on the flow chart for context.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought alcohol might have something to do with it. As a prerequisite.

bigblackshed

Those are three things I never have, or would like to try. In no particular order.

tang
    Free Member

That’s what I told him. He likes clubs and beer. Cricket, vintage motorbikes, blokes and beer seems to be the thread. That and beautiful wife’s from Italy & South America.

meehaja
    Free Member

The dad of a mate at school did it, I took the mickey and he pointed out that his dad got paid to travel the world, drinking beer and having a killer beard. Put like that,it sounds pretty awesome.

JulianA
    Free Member

Oh sorry, bbs.

I must have misunderstood your comment 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

paid to travel the world

What, Morris Dancing ? I didn’t think anyone outside quaint rural England had ever seen it. So where else in the world is there a big demand to be “entertained” by Morris Dancers ?

crikey
    Free Member

quaint rural England

Steady on ern, it’s very popular where I live.

DezB
    Free Member

quaint rural England

Big in Portsmouth too. About as far removed from quaint and rural as you can get!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

They’re a strange lot down the other end of the valley:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saXvgZC6FPk[/video]

CountZero

There’s all sorts of Morris. There’s the more usual sort with the white shirts, cross-belts and hanky-waving, and the form I’m rather fond of, which is Border Morris, which usually entails jackets covered with tattered strips of dark cloth, jeans, boots, battered top hats with feathers stuck around the brim, and black-face. Allegedly started during the miner’s strikes, as a way of making a few quid, and getting free beer, the black-face meant it was difficult to identify those taking part.
    Usually involves using heavy sticks instead of hankies, meaning bark and splinters flying everywhere. Very anarchic, more ‘metal’ than folk, in a way.
    If there was a Border Morris side locally, I’d join, but Chippenham Morris, and the women’s side, Hips’n’Haws, are regular sides.
    Shame, smashing sticks and getting free beer, and scaring the crap out of little kiddies sounds like fun!

wordnumb
    Free Member

So where else in the world is there a big demand to be “entertained” by Morris Dancers ?

A mate of mine’s side has toured the USA and much of Europe thanks to the Morris. People apparently are either appreciative or bemused, anybody taking the urine gets dragged in and taught a dance. I think there’s a lot to be said for it, in moderation, and some of the musicians are phenomenal – the kind of players who can pick up a tune if you hum half of it.

CountZero

Not all Morris is the same:
    [/url] image by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

A friend of mine is in a Border Morris side, blacked face and big stick.
    Looks like a good laugh to me, with pagan undertones.

IHN

I’ve done it once for about ten minutes, it was quite good fun.

I’ve also worked at a pub where there was a morris dancing festival going on. As a way of messing about with your mates on a summers afternon whilst getting steadily $h1tf@ced it seemd like a bit of a lark.

fivespot
    Free Member

I tried it once, but kept slipping of the bonnet 😆

slowoldman

I can think of bigger jokes. Football for example.

maccruiskeen

Some sort of terrorist extremist flamenco troupe in your photos there CZ?

Stoner
    Free Member

bringin’ it all together 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Looks fun. It’s on my list of things to get massively into when I move to the country and become weird.

🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

become weird

we need to talk.

BigDummy
    Free Member

“er” ?

😉

franksinatra

There was a display in the our village square (in Scotland) last summer, it was a group ‘on tour’

The leader had a massive beard, on only the right side of his face. Left side was clean shaven. Utterly bonkers, wacky and mental. 🙄

timb34
    Free Member

Morris Dancing, the world’s least stealthy martial art

BoomBip
    Free Member

Morris dancing one minute, locking a virgin into a huge wicker man you’ve just built the next – doesn’t look that great a leap…

scruff
    Free Member

Its definitely an international thing. I’ve seen several troops in Wales.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Morris Dancing anyone here do it’ is closed to new replies.