Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • More running training Qs
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I ran my first marathon last year, went well but I did miss a lot of my 16 week programme due to getting tight muscles/pains here and there.

My cv is fine, so it seems a matter of getting my legs up to running faster, so I think I should do the schedule again (the FIRST one) but cut the volume down, say start at 2/3 and see how it goes?.

I’ve been doing a bit and feel good, only 9 weeks to go though.

geologist
    Free Member

can i refer you too this, its the runners bible, the font of all running knowledge, its all there! Getting through it all is another thing! This is reccommended reading, I used to know national level runners who refered to this daily.

Number one question is do you just want to get round the course, or do you want to do as well as you think you can? if its the later 16 weeks aint enough, 2 years and 16 weeks is more realistic for the marathon.

This book is a good starting point.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lore-Running-Tim-Noakes/dp/0873229592/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329000058&sr=8-1

druidh
    Free Member

Number one question is do you just want to get round the course, or do you want to do as well as you think you can? if its the later 16 weeks aint enough, 2 years and 16 weeks is more realistic for the marathon.

I think he wants to do the best he can do in 9 weeks,

geologist
    Free Member

good luck, just getting around the marathon is 99 percent mental, it will be painful, but an averagely fit person can do it with limited training, goal setting is where it gets interesting.

If 9 weeks is it, just run as much as possible, it takes about 4 weeks for the body to recognise the effects of training, so essentially he only has 5 weeks of training.

Good luck. ( I am a former 2:39 marathon runner and former RAF x country champion so do have some experience 🙂 ) Just saying as this being STW I know someone will know better and tell me Im talking poo 🙂

EDIT – and only 5ft 7, and naturally a fat bastard so had to work and train hard to achieve what I did!
    The above book will be a useful reference guide, if he gets the bug, and wants to do more running in the future.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers fella…I’m just looking to get round and enjoy it, but want to in as fast as possible in the second one 5 weeks later.

redfordrider
    Free Member

geologist – you are the last person we should be listening to. As a sub 3:00 runner you probably know how to go fast, but you may not have suffered as much as us 4-5hr plonkers 😆 Now, if you were the pie eating champion of the Navy, I’d be all ears.

geologist
    Free Member

When I started I was a 4 to 5 hour plonker too, In fact Im a 4 hour plonker now, 🙂

I am naturally not a fit person, trust me I had to work hard for those times. I have suffererd believe me. It was easier when I was in the forces, as if you are good at a sport , it basically becomes your full job and are encouraged to train etc. I could never get back to those times, due to now being 10 years older, having a young family and civi job which involves travelling away all the time etc etc. plus im bored of running now. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m a 3:36 pie eater thank you!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

geologist, what do you mean by it taking 4 weeks for the body to recognise training?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It means you don’t get the benefit of the training for 4 weeks (I think) – so any training 4 weeks before a race won’t have a training benefit (though it may have another benefit, getting you used to high output, freshening your legs etc)

geologist
    Free Member

Correct 🙂 ‘They say’ it takes about 4 weeks for the bodys physiology to change following a training session, in the expectance that it may have to perform the same activity again. These changes are miniscual, but over the course of a training plan lasting months, all add up!

takisawa2

Me & a mate did a training course yesterday, run by Paul Evans who won the Chicago marathon in 2:08 back in 1996. What a top bloke. Really inspirational & thoroughly nice chap. Had us doing some different training techniques that the majority of those who came along had never done before. He mentioned going outside your comfort zone, & that the majority of people have a bit more ability than they realise but are worried about pushing too much. Really enjoyed the session but my legs ache a bit today. Certainly ran harder than I would solo, so perhaps you’d benefit from a club/group etc…?

Not aspiring to a marathon myself, 10k is my limit. Might try a half marathon one day. I seriously doff my cap to anyone who can do a marathon, let alone in under 3hrs. I remember doing my fisst 10k last year & being lapped by the winner who did it in 29:50…!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘More running training Qs’ is closed to new replies.