Home Forums Bike Forum More kids on bikes this summer holiday?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • More kids on bikes this summer holiday?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Is it just my middle class rose tinted glasses, but seem to be more kids using bikes around the village this summer – little ones out with family, older ones out in small groups. Noticeably as many girls than boys.

Not just the usual wheelieing down the road being a dick but riding to the shops, park, whatever. Nice to see

pothead
    Free Member

My nephew, who’s 14 and always had more interest in football, has just bought himself his 1st proper mountain bike (a used but good condition Santa Cruz 5010 I found instead of the £1000 Polygon full suss thing he had his eye on) and is pretty excited about a trip to Glentress this weekend. I’d given up hope of him doing anything but football but he’d rather be down the woods hitting jumps with his mates since the start of the summer hols. And as a bonus I got my hardtail back

tenfoot

Yep I would agree. Seen quite a few kids out. Was out last Thursday and a young girl came the other way on her bike, playing music, big smile on her face.

Some of the local kids have been building jumps in the woods, much to the disgust of the local Facebook gammons

Brilliant

anagallis_arvensis

My 13 year old son did King Alfred’s Way with me and his mum, obviously this doesn’t really count in the way you are thinking but I am a very proud dad.

tthew

Not just the usual wheelieing down the road being a dick…

I always congratulate this kind if behaviour because I wish I could do proper wheelies myself

sharkattack

Judging by the amount of kids swarming around on the local pump tracks I’d say yes there’s definitely more of them out and about.

I’d gotten used to having the place all to myself.

Not just the usual wheelieing down the road being a dick

Obvious wheelie jealousy is obvious.

hatter

Good on ’em

The last few years it was nice in patches of April/May/June and then just rained all through the summer holidays (I distinctly recall almost drowning standing up at ‘Ard Rock 2023). And even when it wasn’t raining it was muggy, overcast and generally unispiring.

This year it basically rained right up until mid-July and got nice just as the kids broke up so they’re having a vintage summer holiday for once despite how rubbish it was for the first half of the year.

matt_outandabout

Kids.
    On.
    Bikes.
    Rock.
    ???

Rich_s

And yet we got a post on Crimewatch Wirral about a girl trying to turn right across traffic.

Screenshot_20240813-185619

Cue the usual rants about kids on the road.

Probably followed by posts about kids being dicks on bikes

Followed by posts about bored kids kicking off…

zerocool

I’ve just got back from Morzine and I don’t know if it’s because we went with our young kids this year so noticed more, but there were a lot of smaller kids out biking than the last time we went several years ago.

The local pump tracks in Exeter are busy as well

DickBarton

It is bloody brilliant to see…always makes me smile.
    Coaching is restarting next week so I’m hoping to see all the kids showing improvements.
    I’m not long back in from a MTB cluster session – the kids there are way fitter and faster than me, but the enthusiasm they are showing to improve is amazing – sponges desperate to get feedback and tips to improve.

Biggest issue I see is the parents don’t have the same enthusiasm and don’t have the knowledge of where to take their kids. I think the next nut to crack is helping the parents get an idea of where they can take their kids…I think even more kids would ride more with that knowledge for the parents.

_tom_
    Free Member

Our kids have been out on theirs loads this summer so far. Started taking my son to the local bike parks which he’s loving, had to get him a new bike as his old one seemed like a death trap on proper trails! See lots of other kids down the bike parks as well.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Seen quite a few youngsters out on e-bikes with families also on e-bikes. Could get expensive! But good too see people out and about rather than stuck in on a PS5.

Bunnyhop

Yes definitely more families out with children. We’re very near to two canals and the Middlewood way and Sett Valley trail. Lots of children riding these paths and enjoying themselves.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Such a bizarre comment…

MoreCashThanDash

Such a bizarre comment…

Depends if your driving the car they are swerving towards….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.