Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 355 total)
  • More clever advertising that I don't understand…
  • davosaurusrex

Loving the attention though isn’t he, TJ of the order of Argumentative Monks? Trying to get trolls to see sense on the internet is like p***ing on badgers – fun, but ultimately pointless.

Cougar

Incidentally, TJ,

You said you bought the blue razors and liked them, but if you went back you might not buy them again because you don’t know what they are.

Now, I’m all for trying different products to make an informed purchasing decision. But by finding a product you like and [accidentally / deliberately] ignoring this knowledge, you’re ostensibly shaving off your nose to spite your face.

It’s one thing trying to ignore marketing / advertising, fair play for that, but it’s another to deliberately go out of your way to avoid things you know you like. I don’t really understand why you’d do that.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood you here.

donsimon
    Free Member

That the lot don?

All I could be bothered with.
    If you believe you’re unaffected by marketing, go for it.

I would not buy it again as its intrinsic qualities would have proven to be faulty

And you would identify it as a crap product by its label I suppose.

I was wanting that particular hub as it could be dismantled to provide me with a spare for another hub I have again bought for what it was.

And the brand was completely irrelevant in indentifying this intrinsic quality, wasn’t it?

I have no idea – i guess so.

And your failure to recognise want as a state verb further confirms a poor level of English.
    Why do you use the energy supplier that you use?

donsimon
    Free Member

Sorry Junkyard – I don’t understand your pointthis thread I dont think

Ciao!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I see TeeJ as an Argulympian that I never try and contend with. It’s not so much that I think he has a specific talent to be right but that his reputation preceeds him and I know that ‘he’s not worth it… I’ll never better him.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting piont cougar – I would try to find some cartridges that would fit the 30 year old nice handle I was given by someone. I don’t usually use disposables. I would have noted if they wer not good tho to make sure I never bought them again first disposables I have used in many years. Bought for lightness for last years trekking holiday

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just out of interest I went to look at the razers – they are a well known brand and are actually mainly green with some blue bits

Shows how much effect the marketing / branding had on me 🙂 as I didn’t recollect eh name nor the colour of them

phil.w
    Free Member

TJ – have you ever, other than by accident, bought the same product twice? – can be any purchase, ever.

aa
    Free Member

you still chose them though.

i use feather and shark razors, i don’t know why, they have no uk marketing that i have seen. yet i still chose them. i didn;t pick them blind, as you suggest you do. a process occurred that led to me buying them as did your choice of blade.

this process is influenced by marketing.

what does the word feather mean to you.

what does the word shark imply?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Phil =- yes

right – obsessive arguing – I must stop. I can feel the banhammer

Its getting closer *cringes*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But TeeJ… and it’s a little BUT… you know they’re a well known brand… got to be Gillette or Wilkinson… and I don’t buy razor blades at all.

donsimon
    Free Member

Back to ignoring questions TJ?
    Which energy supplier do you use? And why?
    Why do you use Killfile? (That’s a new question BTW).
    EDIT: surely it becomes an argument when it degenerates into petty name calling and insults, no? Otherwise it’s just a debate.

phil.w
    Free Member

Phil =- yes

I assume it’s fair to say that if the product was crap you wouldn’t of bought it again. The fact that you didn’t think the product was crap and that you made a repeat purchase means, like it or not, you were affected by marketing. It may not have been the obvious marketing activities – advertising, branding, or packaging – but it was still marketing.

donsimon
    Free Member

It may not have been the obvious marketing activities – advertising, branding, or packaging – but it was still marketing.

No.
    Because TJ knew the intrinsic qualities before opening the package and he definitely wasn’t attracted by either the packaging or the price. 🙄

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don Simon +1 this isn’t an argument… you can present and have an opinion without having an argument*.

*Diet threads excluded

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This might be a total digression…

TeeJ do you have an opinion on Nestle?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry guys

phil.w
    Free Member

he definitely wasn’t attracted by either the packaging or the price

Or the Product.

Is that a full house?

donsimon
    Free Member

TJ, answers please., hate to think you were ignoring the tricky questions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry guys

I have been warned off.

Don – I asked for one round up of questions yo wanted answered and then answered them. Now you want more

You will never accept the veracity in what I say. Yo will continue to tell me I behave in a way I know I do not

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have been warned off.

The moderated defence??

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

***** hamsters… you pissed after watching the footy too?

donsimon
    Free Member

Don – I asked for one round up of questions yo wanted answered and then answered them. Now you want more

It’s an earlier, if you don’t want to answer it, it’s no skin off my nose.
    Accept the fact that marketing is all around you and almost all the purchasing decisions you make, from the motorbike you ride to the petrol station you buy your petrol from, from the products you repeat buy to the ones you reject are all products of marketing. No product gets to your hands without going through the marketing machine.
    You buy your energy from a particular energy company because of marketing or risk being over charged or under serviced.
    But if you feel you can ignore this then you really are special. Especially when you put such faith in Hope hubs, Wikipedia, Google and Killfile. 😉
    *makes mental note of avoidance strategy*

SamCooke
    Free Member
    colonelwax
    Free Member

You know what? I wish I wasn’t influenced by marketing. I don’t like the idea that there’s someone cleverer than me that can influence me.

So I avoid it.

But.

I only buy Heinz beans. And think Patagonia clothes are ace. I’m totally influenced by marketing.

If you said that you hate the idea of marketing and actively avoid it Teej, no-one would disagree with you. But I think it’s pretty impossible to avoid it and not be influenced in a psoitive way, een if you don’t want to.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Jesus christ, I’m also writing posts like Solo or Single_tracker someone.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Colonel – you’ve got just Edit 🙂
    2 more days
    Before you must 😉

Offer yourself up for, the ultimate sacrifice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

What other questions do yo want me to answer Don that I have not? Give me them and I will do one final post answering them

Which I did.

What you seem unable or unwilling to understand is that it is possible to live a different lifestyle to you – one where marketing is virtually irrelevant. I buy what I buy on the basis of need based on what something is – not what it is marketed as.

Why you have the arrogance to tell me that I behave in a way I know I do not astounds me. Just accept my motivations are different to yours

But I think it’s pretty impossible to avoid it and not be influenced in a psoitive way,

I beg to differ. Its perfectly possible to reduce its pernicious influence to a minimum by concentrating on need not want and matching the qualities you need with the qualities of the objects on offer.

colonelwax
    Free Member

He’s like a haiku yoda innit.

I’ll risk being on his pro-milk naughty list.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TeeJ – I ask in order to understand… when You want to buy something, do you research it or just walk into a shop and buy?

Junkyard
    Free Member

virtually irrelevant

so not free from

Just accept my motivations are different to yours

we do but as you say you can make it virtually irrelevant but no one can actually ignore it all not even you [ or I ] though we try.

I never buy nestle and I would not take it if it was free….would you buy it?

Nothing to do with their products they might be intrinsically brilliant but they are not a nice company IMHO – I know this because some people told me [marketed the idea] they were bad etc.

We all get your point we just dont get why you need to be so extreme when you make your points.

brooess
    Free Member

I buy what I buy on the basis of need based on what something is

What a product is, is decided by the product development team. In most companies they will be part of the marketing department…

donsimon
    Free Member

I buy what I buy on the basis of need based on what something is – not what it is marketed as.

How do you know what something is before you have bought it? That would appear to be the point of arrogance.
    You still haven’t told me which energy supplier you use nor why you have chosen that supplier.
    Why did you choose Killfile over other similar products?
    Why do you use the term Google instead of search or look for?
    I am perfectly happy to accept that people have different motivations to me, but when someone tells me they can breathe under water I am going to ask them to demonstrate and convince me before I can accept the idea.
    You haven’t convinced me TJ and that’s not arrogance.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

TeeJ – I ask in order to understand… when You want to buy something, do you research it or just walk into a shop and buy?

depends on what and when and why I am buying it. I usually have good idea of the qualities I seek and look for something to match that

Junkyard I have consistently qualified it in that way as obviously 100% is very hard to achieve in any field

donsimon
    Free Member

The fundamental question TJ, is your claim to reject and resist marketing when you don’t even know what marketing encompasses.
    For someone who claims to be intelligent, that’s quite sad.
    Do a bit of research on the 4Ps to begin with and then come back and tell us how your buying decisions are not affected (this was one of the first questions you elected to ignore on a previous page).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

brooess

what something is is simply what it is. washing u liquid is washing up liquid. the marketing dept may make it green or smell of flowers but it remains washing-up liquid. all the thing the market dept do to it make no difference to my decision

How do you know what something is before you have bought it?

read the label? Look at it? research beforehand?

You still haven’t told me which energy supplier you use nor why you have chosen that supplier.

Scottish power / scottish gas, no choice when I took out the contracts, never bothered to change. not interested in the marketing – could even be to my detriment on that. I don’t care

donsimon
    Free Member

read the label? Look at it? research beforehand?

And where doesn’t marketing come into that?

Scottish power / scottish gas, no choice when I took out the contracts, never bothered to change

And you’re quite happy to follow your ideas, even if that means you’re paying too much, receiving a poor service or even missing out on alternatives. As you say Iberdrola are prefectly happy for you to live in your ignorance. ¡Viva España!
    It’s all part of marketing, getting the information into your sweaty mitts, it’s marketing.
    Embrace it, read it, digest it and then make informed decisions from it. It’s not the enemy, it’s your friend. 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And you’re quite happy to follow your ideas, even if that means you’re paying too much, receiving a poor service or even missing out on alternatives.

No – again you fail to understand. I just don’t care at all

And where doesn’t marketing come into that?

It gets in the way and makes it harder to do this. Hence marketing has a negative effect on me generally.

donsimon
    Free Member

And yet you’ll still try to claim that it is I who doesn’t understand marketing. 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And yet you’ll still try to claim that it is I who doesn’t understand marketing

where did I say that? I didn’t.

You simply seem unable to understand that some people like me do not follow the path you do.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 355 total)

The topic ‘More clever advertising that I don't understand…’ is closed to new replies.