Viewing 35 posts - 321 through 355 (of 355 total)
  • More clever advertising that I don't understand…
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seriously, you’re in Brizzle and drinking WifeBeater Cider? Hang your head in shame…!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, but I don’t have a snobby attitude to drink like some others around here. I’d never drink it in a pub.

As for the Magners argument, well, it’s been done before. You, hard as it might be to swallow, have Magners to thank for re-invigorating the cider market in the UK. Their ad campaigns were the ones that elevated cider from a backwater drink to mainstream, meaning that everybody else either upped their game and started brewing better more interestuing ciders, or simply sold more of their niche prodcuts on Magners’ coat-tails.

(I actually worked for nine months where Magners (or Bulmers as it’s known in Ireland) was brewed. Funnily enough, about fifteen different cider brands came out of that factory which is pretty much what happens now with a lot of the “boutique” labels that cost a small fortune.)

Anyway I digress…

one last thing though:

WifeBeater

I think you’ll find the cool kids call it Girlfriend Beater. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

I have a Samsung phone in no way because of their sponsorship of Chelsea

Do you think many people make the, or are unconciously affected by the connection?

I wonder how many Chelsea fans have Samsung phones?

I know that the sponsorship is not about getting Chelsea fans to use Samsung phones, but I do wonder about the effect of advertising in an arena saturated with it. I have no doubt at all that advertising works, the Coke or not research from years ago seems to settle that. I just wonder about the effect; if you are in the business of selling stuff, wouldn’t you sell your own ability to sell stuff rather well?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think marketing “Orange” mobile phones was a tough one in Northern Ireland. 🙂

damo2576
    Free Member

THIS WILL NEVER END.
    ALL THE PEOPLE ARGUING FOR MARKETING UNDERSTAND WHAT MARKETING IS.
    ALL THE PEOPLE ARGUING AGAINST MARKETING THINK IT IS JUST ADVERTISING.

SamCooke
    Free Member

You may not have noticed, that we’re not arguing anymore

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you think many people make the, or are unconciously affected by the connection?

I couldn’t possibly answer that, but I assume the money they spend on the advertising suggests that the marketing director thinks it’s worth it.

I wonder how many Chelsea fans have Samsung phones?

Again I couldn’t answer this, but if I remember correctly Liverpool fans were tossing their Vodafones away after Utd got the sponsorship deal. I would assume there is a number of Chelsea fans that have bought Samsung equipment simply based on the team and the sponsorship deal.

You may not have noticed, that we’re not arguing anymore

Lol @dd.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m specifically avoiding anything to do with Samsung (not because of the Chelsea thing) but because of the way they advertise their shite during the torch relay events. The same goes for Coke, Lloyds TSB. The jury’s out on Nature’s Valley granola bars though because I really really like them. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

It is interesting, and Rapha are a very good example of the way that a carefully targeted and pretty much all encompassing marketing-production-sales-and-most-importantly-of-all-pricing in-whatever-order-you-want can develop a company.

I still wouldn’t have any of it in the house.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the cool kids call it Girlfriend Beater

Or boyfriend beater.

donsimon
    Free Member

It is interesting

More than interesting I’d say. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the cool kids call it Girlfriend Beater

Clicky for Darcy….Or should that be for Mrs Darcy? 😉

RE Bulmers, they were also producing in Herefordshire/Worcestershire, I thought. Was at school with some of the family many years ago.

Also, I certainly appreciate the effect the Magners had in reinvigorating cider drinking. Am just glad that it’s led to more people drinking real cider, rather than marketing led pish.

Oh look, marketing!

MrSmith
    Free Member

I still wouldn’t have any of it in the house.

that’s it’s USP it puts a line in the sand between those that embrace the brand and the plebian uneducated poor who don’t 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

that’s it’s USP it puts a line in the sand between those who are fooled by the appropriation of European cycling history and tradition in the attempt to sell clothing made in China for an inflated price by using black and white photography with little in the way of any true racing heritage and those who aren’t that embrace the brand and the plebian uneducated poor who don’t

I believe that I may have fixed that for you.

http://internationale.teamjva.com/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Long story Flash, same company originally but Bulmers retained as a brand by the Irish bit after the split.

Thing is, most cider is marketing. Lots of brands are brewed in the same breweries, just to different recipes and then bottled up in those **** bottles and sold to us victims for stupid money. Even one of my person favourites, Bath Ales Bounders – brewed nowhere near Bath Ales (which, incidentally, is in an industrial estate closer to Bristol than Bath).

And y’know, Magners isn’t that bad but I’m guessing you’d decided to label it as marketed pish before you’d ever even tasted it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Excellent link that crikey. I LOLed. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I knew there was some link, but wasn’t sure what it was. Thanks for that detail!

Oh, and;

Magners isn’t that bad but I’m guessing you’d decided to label it as marketed pish before you’d ever even tasted it.

‘Tis true. I had. And then I tasted it. I was right. It’s awful! In my opinion, of course. That’s not a hard and fast FACT! 😉

When it comes to cider, I don’t drink it much, but I do like to find something local (When in the West Country) or something from where I used to live in Normandy.

crikey
    Free Member

I’d be interested in Rapha kit if they didn’t try so hard to make me interested…. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh and the Irish bit was started by a guy called William Magner. So it has more “authenticity” in that bit of it than most ciders.

(I refuse to drink Aspalls just because of those stupid bottles 🙂 )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(Aspall’s cider vinegar is rather good. Don’t know about their cider!)

muckytee
    Free Member

*skips all the pages* EDF have done a brilliant job of marketing, since we now have a 10 page thread, with them at the centre of it. 😉

bloodynora
    Free Member

Magners, got to be the worst cider ever, gross stuff…. But advertised well…. Plastic Paddy stuff does have an appeal I guess

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

so go on chaps – can you dish up two pages of arguement with me without my help?

3 more – Im impressed

damo2576 – Member

THIS WILL NEVER END.
    ALL THE PEOPLE ARGUING FOR MARKETING UNDERSTAND WHAT MARKETING IS.
    ALL THE PEOPLE ARGUING AGAINST MARKETING THINK IT IS JUST ADVERTISING.

Balderdash
    I know its more than advertising, I also know how little effect it has on me.

brooess – Member

If you’ve ever made a buying decision ever, in your life, then you have made that decision, in part, under the influence of marketing.

What nonsense

You really need to listen and learn and understand that there are people in the world who do not see think and buy as you do – many of us.

I understand its very hard for you to accept this as it would mean that much or the marketing you do is worthless but I know its is true.

I make the vast majority of my decisions despite the marketing. It has as near to zero influence on me as possible.
    You do not know how I live my life, you do not know how I make my decision but you are adamant that I see the emperors new clothes – well I don’t – I know he is naked.

I think it is incredibly arrogant and patronising to tell me that I do things I know I do not.

3 more -pages chaps? I’ll be back in 24 hrs to see.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Plastic Paddy stuff does have an appeal I guess

Somewhere in Brizzle, a diminutive Irishman starts to fume with rage…..

donsimon
    Free Member

I think it is incredibly arrogant and patronising to tell me that I do things I know I do not.

Who’s talking about you?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can everyone just ignore him if he turns up. The discussion got quite interesting as soon as he dropped out.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Edit TeeJ… it’s probably already been said but there will be people whose job it is to get people like you to buy products.

Ignorance is not bliss.

deluded
    Free Member

DD is an honorary Bristolian but definitely not the real thing 😀 Much like what Magners is to the below, which is what I’ve been enjoying recently and can wholeheartedly recommend.

– Westons Wyld Wood Organic

– Black Rat

– Thatcher’s Cheddar Valley Red

– Tick’num Tipple

– Sheppy’s Oak Matured Vintage

2012 Nailsea Beer and Cider Festival -http://www.appelfest.btck.co.uk/ for the discerning cider drinker.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Somewhere in Brizzle, a diminutive Irishman starts to fume with rage…..

🙂

You wish.

What’s “Plastic Paddy” about it anyway? It’s an Irish product, brewed in Ireland from pressed apple juice produced using crushed apples from an orchard right next door to the factory.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DD is an honorary Bristolian but definitely not the real thing

Are you saying he’s a Plastic? 😯

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

What DD said especially as the last three pages were [largely] about the topic or funny.
    I drink Cider and always have because I really dislike lager and proper beers.
    Not really tried Magners [pricey] but might now they are taxing the shit out of white lightning….has champagne tax increased Flashy?…one rule for them eh in it together my arse 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

– Westons Wyld Wood Organic

Ah yes, the rebranded Westons Organic. 🙄 (shitty rebrand actually, hasn’t worked well at all)

deluded
    Free Member

Yes it has – shut up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, sorry. 😛

nealglover
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkXNSNI3B7c&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

By the way.

It isn’t.

Get over yourself. 🙄

hilldodger
    Free Member

Mmmm, sorry to bring this one back to life, bit it’s just crossed my mind that the impermeable one went through a phase of adorning his posts with the “simples” punchline….

….s’pose it just “came to mind” did it TJ and was nothing to do with a high profile advertising campaign 😆

Viewing 35 posts - 321 through 355 (of 355 total)

The topic ‘More clever advertising that I don't understand…’ is closed to new replies.