Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Moonraker
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Thought I’d posted this yesterday but obviously not.

My god, what a crock of shit!

This was my fave as a kid so thought I’d watch it again for nostalgic purposes. So shockingly terrible it was just unreal and very funny. I can see where Austin Powers got its inspiration from!

There was a bit where two high cable-cars are stopped next to each other and Jaws jumps from one to the other to get to Bond. But they couldn’t even be arsed to show how he’d managed to jump the ten-twenty foot gap. You just heard a metallic ‘clunk’ and there he was! 🙂 Outrageous.

Is there a worse Bond? That being said, Moore will always remain my fave Bond, being the Bond of my childhood.

rogermoore

Oi!
    RM.

martinhutch

Is there a worse Bond?

There is no better answer than this:

zilog6128

He can’t act, the films are nonsense, and he’s way past his prime – but he’s clearly the best Bond. If you want reality, there’s plenty of other films for that kind of thing!

EDIT: quite liked Brosnan, Goldeneye is a great film, that scene though – probably the worst action sequence ever made for a big-budget film. Absolutely atrocious – at least when they cut corners on a RM film the result was normally pretty funny! 😀

jambourgie
    Free Member

At least Octopussy had a great title and theme tune.

Oi!

You’re still my fave Rog!

zilog6128

At least Octopussy had a great title and theme tune.

it’s the best – possibly the perfect? – Bond movie, for those reasons & so many others!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I actually think on her majesty’s secret service holds up better than alot of the “classic” bonds.

MoreCashThanDash

The Moore films were the silliest, bit Moonraker was the worst of a bad bunch.

OHMSS actually wasn’t that bad, IMO

jambourgie
    Free Member

So do you think it was supposed to be silly? I did wonder that. No other explanation other than: film production company gets handed a billion £ to produce bond film, which they promptly spend on coke and hookers before turning something in at the last minute.

Drac

/double takes in pigeon.

cookeaa

Moore’s sort of comedy bond essentially cursed Timothy Dalton, who had to follow and tried to play the character straight, but also without the budget.

The Spy Who Loved Me was my favourite RM Bond, because of the silly sub-swallowing tanker and a villan that wants to purge the earth and live under the sea (same plot as Moonraker in essence, just a different hiding spot for the apocalypse)…

squirrelking
    Free Member

He can’t act, the films are nonsense, and he’s way past his prime – but he’s clearly the best Bond

wut?

clubby

Still better than Quantum of Solace.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yup, utterly ridiculous. And still a million times better than Bond 23 aka Home Alone 4, death in Glen Etive.

eddd
    Free Member

I like the silliness of the Bond films like Moonraker. It’s tongue-in-cheek.

Roger Moore saves the world in a way that is not too serious, charming and impeccably polite. That’s (to me) what Bond should be. I think Brosnan did this well too, even if his later films weren’t the best stories, he was a great Bond.

MSP

iirc moonraker was a rushed production to cash in on the star wars generated sci fi explosion, it has no resemblance to the Fleming written book it shares it’s title with.

ernielynch

James Bond used to be fun entertaining comedy. The whole premise is clearly absurd.

It has sadly been turned into something which is dreary and unfunny as they attempt to turn a ridiculous idea into serious drama.

sharkattack

It has sadly been turned into something which is dreary and unfunny as they attempt to turn a ridiculous idea into serious drama.

See also Batman and his transformation from man in tights to damaged, violent psychopath.

squirrelking
    Free Member

James Bond used to be fun entertaining comedy. The whole premise is clearly absurd.

No, Connery era was serious enough, Moore made a mockery of it, Dalton went to the action end, Brosnan picked up where Moore left off and Craig likewise with Dalton. Different tastes for different eras.

But Moore and Brosnan were utterly, unforgivably shit, down there with Never Say Never Again. Chopped Renault in Paris anyone? Bosphorus with added sub swallowing Marianas Trench?

See also Batman and his transformation from man in tights to damaged, violent psychopath.

Adam West era vs everything (except those two) after in other words.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you want reality, there’s plenty of other films for that kind of thing!

Who watches bond for reality? Missing the point totally.

I think all the actors have brought a different take on bond. RM took it towards a more cheesy level but that was probably ‘of the time’ don’t mind the Moore films at all. Revisiting them is A nice rest it’s from the more dower and moody Craig movies. I think Dalton was the worst bond. Never really gelled with him, in fact not even sure I’ve seen all his films.

ernielynch

Connery era was serious enough

You think it was an a serious attempt to portray a MI6 operative?

Declaring “He had a lot of guts”, as the snowplough spewed out the mangled remains of an unfortunate adversary wasn’t intended as comedy?

joshvegas
    Free Member

The biggest issue with the Sean Connery.

He was a weapons grade bellend who was adamant that knocking your wife around was perfectly acceptable.

duncancallum

Best q line in it though….

MoreCashThanDash

Best q line in it though….

The one redeeming moment

ernielynch

He was a weapons grade bellend who was adamant that knocking your wife around was perfectly acceptable.

So undoubtedly Ian Fleming would have approved. Respect for women wasn’t his strongest quality.

doomanic

That line was from OHMSS and was said by George Lazenby.

dudeofdoom

The Spy Who Loved Me

It was the Esprit that did it for me…

Roger Moore’s films were the Pantomime bonds, entertaining thou.

ernielynch

I stand corrected doomanic.

tjagain

Roger Moore saves the world in a way that is not too serious, charming and impeccably polite. That’s (to me) what Bond should be.

You should read the books particularly the early ones

Bond is not a nice guy at all. Not polite, not charming. He is a bit of a drunk, cruel and a bit rapey to say the least.

Moore created that charming polite Bond but it is not true to the books at all.

inkster
    Free Member

Even the Connery Bonds were comic, (just drier and more misogynistic).

Bond movies have always been absurdist, I’m not fond of the Daniel Craig films because they try to be too plausible.

Live and let die was that last good one, killer theme tune (you’re humming it in your head right now aren’t you) and best line-

“Secret agent?… On whose side???

Die Hard killed off the Bond franchise when it came out and no Bond film since then has come close to that film.

Never managed to sit through a Brosnan Bond.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Brosnan is terrible. I cannot watch him. Moonraker I could watch repeatedly.

zilog6128

nah, it’s not like they are great works of literature and whilst they were ok in their day, that day is long, long past it’s sell by date. Interesting as a curiosity maybe. The films have totally transcended the books, which is pretty unusual, and they are what the vast majority would regard as “proper” Bond.

Who watches bond for reality? Missing the point totally.

well yes… that’s exactly my point… the Craig films obviously have tried to make them more realistic/plausible, after a fashion, which is clearly a mistake!

I think Dalton was the worst bond. Never really gelled with him, in fact not even sure I’ve seen all his films.

I don’t think you’ve really got a leg to stand on though if you’ve never even managed to watch a whole TWO films 🤣 I like Dalton, he’s the best actor to ever play Bond, and I really like the fact the films and especially the baddies are really low-key – they’re not trying to take over the world, they’re essentially just minor drug lords in both films trying to make a bit of cash (in Living Daylights especially he’s managed to SHOCK HORROR get hold of some rocket launchers 😂)

ernielynch

Isn’t that ^^ exactly TJs point?

zilog6128

Was it? He was saying, read the books. I wouldn’t bother personally. They’re best forgotten.

tjagain

No – As well as that I said:

Bond is not a nice guy at all. Not polite, not charming. He is a bit of a drunk, cruel and a bit rapey to say the least.

timmys

So do you think it was supposed to be silly?

Dude. It has a hovercraft gondola and a double-taking pigeon in it.

iirc moonraker was a rushed production to cash in on the star wars generated sci fi explosion, it has no resemblance to the Fleming written book it shares it’s title with.

Indeed. The Spy Who Loved Mw even said “Bond will return in For Your Eyes Only” in the end titles, but they then decided to throw in a “space one” instead due to Star Wars. Moonraker the book is set in glamorous Kent.

Anyone one who knows anything about Bond generally agree that OHMSS and the Dalton films are among the best, but somehow people still seem to try and project these as somehow ‘edgy’ opinions.

I personally think the Bronson’s are the worst (Moore gets a pass as the were my childhood films).

ernielynch

I don’t think you’ve really got a leg to stand on though if you’ve never even managed to watch a whole TWO films 🤣

I think you might be taking this thread a tad too seriously.

I got the impression wobbliscot was giving a personal opinion rather than taking a principal stance or making the case for the prosecution!

plus-one

Folks remember it’s only fiction 😉

john_l
    Free Member

38 posts and no Partridge?

eddd
    Free Member

Saying the best Bond film is the one closest to the book is like saying the best Christmas film is the one closest to the Bible.

(Die Hard is the best Christmas film, in case you were wondering).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Moonraker’ is closed to new replies.