Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Monday IT club
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry folks, I have tried googling this but I failed.

Computer crashes right at the end of hibernation (or at least, somewhere during it). So it saves the memory to disk, but then it seems to die, and when I come to restart it I get the ‘windows didn’t shut down successfully’ thing. Windows isn’t actually running at this point so no crash dump logs.

Any clues as to where to start looking? I was wondering if it was related to the fact that the bluetooth device randomly starts and stops sometimes. I thought perhaps it wasn’t able to enter the right power state – but wouldn’t that happen before saving memory to disk rather than after? I think that’s a dodgy connection anyway since there are no driver crashes in the logs for that.

mogrim

I find Chrome can’t handle hibernating well – at least not too often. Any particular apps that are always open?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well yes, but the thing is it happens AFTER the saving to disk, so surely all apps and OS process have already entered the apropriate state by that point?

mogrim

Well yes, but the thing is it happens AFTER the saving to disk, so surely all apps and OS process have already entered the apropriate state by that point?

Dunno then, perhaps try hibernating with wifi+bluetooth switched off then – see if that’s the cause. Another possibility – have you got some kind of disk encryption running?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I have disk encryption – have had it for a year at least, and it wasn’t a problem. Well, apart from taking ten minutes to come out of hibernation 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Well that was odd. Went into standby fine on the train, half an hour later I came to open it up and it’d crashed *whilst sleeping*.

somouk
    Free Member

Possibly disk corruption and the memory is writing to the corrupted bit of drive?

Try running some disk diagnostics and have a cleanup. Plenty of free space?

molgrips
    Free Member

3GB of free space, after the 32GB hiberfile.sys 😯

I found a minidump file from this morning’s crash, but I don’t seem to be able to access it – permission denied, despite apparently having full access to it and owning it.

Cougar

Run Checkdisk?

Anything in Event Viewer?

Try disabling Bluetooth / WiFi / NIC adapters, see if that cures it.

Any driver updates available? (Many laptop manufacturers have a “system update” app to make this easier, when it works.)

Try deleting and recreating the hibernation file. At a command prompt, type:

powercfg –h off
    powercfg –h on

Don’t use Hibernate (-:

Cougar

3GB of free space

http://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/TreeSizeFree.zip

I found a minidump file from this morning’s crash, but I don’t seem to be able to access it

Even after a reboot?

scuttler

Agree on chkdsk or BIOS disk diagnostics if you have them as it’s possible your hard drive is on the way out.

molgrips
    Free Member

If there’s nothing special about the minidump folder then the fact I can’t read them definitely points to drive corruption. Chkdsk tonight then.

Oh – this morning’s crash was actually caused by Symantec, the previous one was ntoskrnl.exe.

Hmm.. apparently I can copy them out of that directory..!

Cougar

I think I’d be running Memtest+ on that too.

footflaps

Oh – this morning’s crash was actually caused by Symantec

Horrendous piece of SW – crippled my work laptop until I removed it. Now use MSE, which is much more stable and less resource hungry.

Cougar

Horrendous piece of SW

Horrendous piece of SW when it’s not set up correctly, which is almost always. Yes please, please scan every file I ever access both when reading and writing, and run a full system scan whenever the whim takes you, I didn’t need to use my computer for anything else anyway.

brassneck

Worth doing a system firmware update too, if it’s post save to the hibernation file. BIOS and all the usual suspects.

molgrips
    Free Member

Symantec is company policy, along with PGP, and I can’t change any settings… 🙁

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Monday IT club’ is closed to new replies.