Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Momentus birthdays, did you do anything ?
  • weeksy

Pondering my 50th that’s looming in the not too distant future and wondering should i ‘do’ something.

Something a bit special as a bit of a landmark celebration thing ?

Just wondering if others did/didn’t and how momentous it was…

doomanic

It was my 50th yesterday and no, nothing momentous, just a really nice day with my wife.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Join Saga?  You can have a little gathering and perhaps some youung people can show you how to sign up online?

🙂 I was 38 this year, started planning my 40th  (bike holiday) so yes i reckon you should do something!

scotroutes

Bucket list type thing?

My Mrs and I flew to Barra for a weekend for my 60th. That’s the island where the plane lands on the beach. I’ve been wanting to do that for years. Fantastic experience.

It also had the advantage that she couldn’t spring a surprise party on me.

nickjb
    Free Member

I tried to do 40 mile triathlon for my 40th. The idea was to go mountain biking, have coast walk and do some kayaking. Total 40 miles, with friends, who could do some or all of it with me. It was more of a fun weekend, with friends, with activities. In the end we were beaten by the weather but the weekend was still good. We rented a big camping barn in Devon. Might try something similar for 50

Trimix
    Free Member

My misses surprised me with a tour of Mercedes F1 factory, a lunch at Willimas F1 with a chat with Bottas prior to the race. Then a trip to Ferrari museum and Lamborgini factory topped off with lunch at a resturant that was awarded the status of best resturant in the world.

It was great, but now I have to do a better job when her 50th comes up.

Im not into family celebrations, so for me that was perfect. Pick something you will remember for years to come.

TiRed

I raced the UCI masters world championships in Albi. I was 49 for the TT and 50 for the road race 🙂

Then when I returned we had a party for 50 friends and family on a steam boat along the Thames at Windsor. We’d had a pretty rubbish year as a family, and it was a lovely way of bringing people together. Was not cheap, but I don’t regret a penny of it. My nephews and nieces still remember it fondly two years later.

DrJ

MrsJ took me to Venice(*) for the weekend to celebrate my half century not out.

(*) sounds like a euphemism for something, but alas it isn’t

kilo

For my 40th we went away for the weekend with family and on the day went to the Ghent 6, that evening one of the riders crashed and died directly in front of us, my 50th was a bit more low key.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ploughing into the back of a stationary bin lorry due to bike brake failure, just after a momentus birthday is overhyped. There are probably better ways of celebrating becoming 40. 😉

It’s four years until my 50th, but if I’m still into cycling, I quite fancy the idea of tackling a big climb. The one that springs to mind, given the earliest annual leave I could get after Xmas and weather conditions, would be Mount Teide.

Beagleboy

I’ll be my birthday in March. I’ve not got anything planned for the actual day (Friday 13th), although I’m kind of thinking of a city break somewhere, maybe Barcelona as I’ve always fancied going there. However, my aim is to do a lot of stuff in my 50th year. So far, I’m looking to get away with mates for a ski trip in Feb and I’ve got my first ever mountain bike trip to the Alps planned in June. We’re also looking to holiday in Corfu (we have friends over there) in the late summer as then it’ll be Mrs Beagleboy’s turn! Pretty much just planning to get out and about lots and use ‘my big birthday year’ as a general excuse to party the whole year!

martymac

Yes, i went to canada for a week for my 50th last year.
    It was October, but still really hot for a couple of days (like 26c) not hot for them, but roasting for a jock.
    It was superb, the first time we’d seen canada in summer weather, we had a great time and I’m glad i did it.
    40/50/60 are the big ones i suppose, you should do something you enjoy, but don’t break your budget to do it, otherwise you don’t enjoy it so much.

willard

I’d planned a few things for my 40th and so had my ex wife. Events got in the way, so they all got canned. Probably for the best.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Hired an RV and visited Sedona, Moab and Fruita for just under three weeks.  Wish I could do it every year

regenesis
    Free Member

Personally hate the idea.
    Had one sprung on me for my 40th – with all the “expectations” of how it was going to be, time away with friends, etc. It was utter shit and spoiled what would’ve been a nice holiday if done as that.
    Besides – unless its YOU who decides then all those sorts of things are for those planning it – not you.

johndoh
    Free Member

I had a small BBQ in our garden done by a friend of the family but is internationally renowned (he has cooked for the Queen and Chris Evans in the past) then my wife took me away with our two little girls for a weekend in a lovely independent hotel right in the middle of Rome

koldun
    Free Member

8 hours sleep and someone else taking the dog for her morning walk?

weeksy

unless its YOU who decides

Anything that will be arranged will be 100% done by me, from the choice of event, to the flights, hire cars and who does or doesn’t attend etc.

Current thought is a 3 days European motorbike trackday in Cartagena/Portimao. Partly because both me and Mrs Weeksy will enjoy it, but it’s also the best chance of getting more than 1-2 mates involved too.

If i pick say Morzine, i’ll get 1 group of mates (2-3 of them) if i pick Andalucia i’ll get 1-2 mates, but with say Portimao i’ll get 8-10 of them involved.

The only minor downside is that picking the Euro trackday means my boy doesn’t get the full experience of the week as he won’t be riding, if we went to Morzine, then he gets to ride his bike too… but then Mrs Weeksy misses out as she doesn’t cycle.

I get that it’s supposed to be about me, but part of me is having my boy and wife involved too.

Cletus

My 50th was in May this year. Spent the day walking and canoeing at Symonds Yat with wife and daughter then evening meal with them and a few close friends at a local Italian.
    Low key but happy enough with it.

longdog
    Free Member

A friend and I are both 50 next year. Plans only really relate to cycling; everest attempt, Highland Trail 550 (probably some variation) and a double century at some point.

No plans for a big party or anything. I’d hate that. As a family we may have a nice holiday to Norway as last years was cancelled due to a knee replacement.

weeksy

No plans for a big party or anything. I’d hate that

That’s very much not happening. My wife knows i’d likely turn round and walk out.

lunge

Oh yes, it’s my 40th next year and I have told my wife that if there is any kind of party organised I will firstly leave the party and secondly leave her. In fairness, she feels the same about things too so I think I’m safe.

My vague plan is to have a good pub night with my closest of friends and then perhaps a weekend away somewhere like The Lakes with Mrs Lunge. A posh meal in my favourite restaurant will also take place.

13thfloormonk

I was 38 this year, started planning my 40th (bike holiday) so yes i reckon you should do something!

This for me ^

Unless we have a second sprog running about by then, I’m still clinging to the dream of a week’s cycle touring around Norway. However my wife wants us to do a joint 40th thing, so my cycle trip could get punted to the next year, so it’s not really a 40th thing after all, just a jolly!

Fancy getting my extended family together for some food and drink, I’d end up catering most of it but I kind of enjoy that, and by that stage our 2 year old will be 5, so old enough to grasp the true horror of who he is descended from! 😆

stevego
    Free Member

My 50th in a few months, planning on a new shiney (fairly expensive) new road bike. Want disk brakes and Di2 shifting, old road bike was second hand 7 years ago (and the only roadie I’ve ever owned). Also will be camping with family in a national park near the beach (it’ll be summer here). Probably do a relaxed pub night with a few good mates when we get back. Not really into big parties.

geomickb
    Free Member

Went to the Isle of Harris for my 40th, just me and the wife.
    Got a cottage with a hot tub, sat in it reading and drinking whisky.
    Went for a walk and saw my first golden eagles.

Might go back for my 50th.

tjagain

40 I had a kick ass party at my flat. Great fun. 50 tried the same but with friends moving away and getting older and boring it was OK but not great.

for 60 its already planned. Both t’missus and I will be 60 withing 6 weeks of each other, we will be retiring and we will be spending a lot of time away from Edinburgh so it will be ” the end of an era” party.

hols2
    Free Member

Drac

40th beers and bikes with some friends, I don’t see much point in doing anything special it’s another birthday.

gallowayboy

50th was spent with about 25 or so friends and families at a bunkhouse in the Dales, three of us walked a winter three peaks, people brought food, whisky, guitars etc and it was great. Look back on it with fondness. Didn’t do owt for 40th, 4 years to 60, no plans, but a trip of some sort will be in order….

tjagain

Lolz@ Hols

PrinceJohn

BPW for my 40th, using it as an excuse helped more people come than can usually come away on such weekends.

kayak23

I went on a supposedly mountain biking trip to Peru and Bolivia when I was 40 six years ago.

The country was amazing, the cycling however, was largely shit. Basically road biking, endless, endless miles of road, road, road. Horrendously boring, except of course for the epic scenery.

It’s nice to do something you’ll always remember for big birthdays. Unfortunately for me, my billed as ‘mountain biking’ trip, with Red Spokes for the record, was 97% road biking and I’ll be forever a bit mardy about that.

Still, the seemingly endless tedium interspersed with complete psychotic drivers helps me remember it. 😂

tenfoot

For my 50th I bought a new bike (cliche) and went to New York with my wife. Lovely weekend.

BoardinBob

I hate a fuss and attention. Was my 40th last year, right in the depths of January. Me and the missus went to Tenerife for the week. Absolutely not the type of holiday I would normally do but a week of winter sunshine was amazing and we had a fantastic hotel.

On my actual birthday we went to the huge waterpark, Siam Park. The place was virtually deserted so we basically had a private waterpark to ourselves. It was absolutely brilliant fun.

weeksy

I’ve thought of the epic purchase. Something i’d never even consider in another way, shape or form. Something like a fantastic Santa Cruz Bronson CC or 5010. But not sure i can honestly justify being quite that selfish even though it wouldn’t directly affect my wife/boy in any real context…

I was thinking something ‘life changing’ or similar, but that may be too big of an ask…. but is a Bronson CC life changing…. Ooooh heck, i dunno.

petec
    Free Member

Spent my 40th up Bowfell with the wife and kids. Deliberately picking a place away from everywhere.

Our daughter is 21 the day before my 50th. She’s expecting something big. I’m assuming I’ll be lucky to get an invite.

therevokid
    Free Member

daughter made 50 cupcakes …. I Scoffed the lot 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Nothing, my friends don’t know when my birthday is and my family generally forget. If my wife remembers I ask for something she is highly unlikely to do (but you never know, one day), my way of saying I’d rather it was just a regular day.

twonks

I had a week off for my 40th. Nothing big, just a ride a day with a nice full day out on the last.

2 days in I crashed and snapped my Achilles.

50th in two years. Might just stay in the house.

dove1

For my 50th I booked an entire campsite and invited friends and family to come camping for the weekend. It was ace. About 60 people turned up, all with booze and food, kids ran riot in the woods, adults chilled, chatted and dicked about and we had a massive hog roast on the Saturday evening.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Momentus birthdays, did you do anything ?’ is closed to new replies.