Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Moles – how to get rid of then?
  • JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

I’m talking the furry little kind rather than the espionage variety…

NewRetroTom

Go speak to your GP?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Hi Tom

allan23
    Free Member

There’s only one way to get rid of a mole – blow it’s bloody head off. 🙂

sargey

When you catch them,bury them alive.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’ve seen people use shotguns. At least it’s better than poison

jamesfts
    Free Member

As Allan says, only guaranteed way we ever found was a shot gun.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/uiwoLAvZ4kM?t=4[/video]

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Only one way to be sure.

null

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve tried shotguns plenty of times over the years but only ever killed two moles that I’m aware of. Most effective method is to set a trap. Don’t bother with the useless garden centre type, spend a little more and buy a Talpex trap.
    These differ in that they are much more powerful and can kill a mole very quickly. Method below:
    1) locate run with a stick and open it up enough to fit the armed trap
    2) once the trap is in use soil from a mole hill to backfill the hole you made for the trap leaving space for the ‘pin’ to move freely

Because you filled the run with soil, the mole will think that the run has collapsed and with head in to clear it again, triggering the trap which is easily powerful enough to kill the mole through the soil.

Plenty of vids on youtube showing how to use a Talpex.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

A nice little .410.

momo

As above, traps are the most effective method. I use an old fishing rod rest for poking around to find the runs and then dig out a small hole with a trenching shovel – don’t want to disturb too much ground.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not moles but same principles :

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR0sWU1HzTE[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeasTakFuk[/video]

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It may have been a coincidence, and everyone says they don’t work, but a neighbour leant me one of those ultrasonic stick in the ground things, and my mole problem went away within a few days.

pictonroad

Had really good results with an ultrasonic deterrent, garden was like the Somme for years but it cleared them and kept them away.

petec
    Free Member

Done this a few times.

Wait where they’ve been – spade in hand. Be patient and do not move! You really must not move.

You will see the earth moving – directly behind this movement is the mole. Behind that is the tunnel.

Firmly (and quickly) put the spade behind the mole through the tunnel – down about a foot. Then quickly get another spade and dig between the old movement and embedded spade. You will find the mole (probably right up against the embedded spade) – put in in a bucket.

Then go and release it on the golf course 🙂

They go for worms. So to stop them, deter worms (which also stops worm casts). Put a lot of Iron Sulphate down, it acidifies the soil, and stops the worms. Then no moles.

JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

Unleash hell! On the moles. Thanks for all the dastardly plans.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you catch any, be sure to skin them and make trousers.

PJM1974
    Free Member

You need an A10 Thunderbolt. That’ll sort it.

fasthaggis

If you catch any, be sure to skin them and make trousers a waistcoat .

globalti
    Free Member

String ’em all on the fence.

mintimperial

Then go and release it on the golf course

Heeheehee… 😀

We had moles and feral rabbits in the garden at the place we moved to about ten years ago. We also had a complete psychopath of a cat. After a month or two we had no more moles or rabbits. This only works if you have the sort of cat that brings live rats into the house to play with, or catches bats in midair for fun. She was **** mental, that cat, a tiny furry wave of death and destruction. I kept expecting her to drag a sheep through the cat flap, or to have to deal with a badger corpse or something.

Cat haters will be pleased to hear that she went missing a long time ago so the fuzzy wuzzy moles are all safe now.

JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

Think the waist coat would be rather dashing, with the little nose on the breast pocket.

Alternatively, a hollowed out mole would make a perfect saddle bag.

CaptainSlow

Shotgun

[video]http://youtu.be/fePU5CIHpas[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mole grips? Stops ’em wriggling.

vickypea
    Free Member

They’re cute and you should keep them. Think of them as invisible pets 🙂

AlexSimon

Surely the obvious answer is Hammer/Mallet

rc200f8
    Free Member

I’ve got an old spade with 56, 6 inch nails welded to it, use a similar method to petec, wait till you see the mole hill move and whack the bugger, have got a few this way but you look like a complete nutter creeping accross the garden to the moving mole hill with a spade full of 6″ nails on your shoulder!

liam007
    Free Member

We used to have loads of them, we got rid by burying milk bottle in their hills. Apparently the noise of the wind blowing over the top of the bottle drives them crazy and they go destroy your neighbours garden instead.

pealy
    Free Member

I’ve had success with the scissor traps. Before I set them I bury them, some gloves and the trowel in the earth for a week to get them nice & earthy smelling – not sure where I read about it but it seems to work for me.

Psycho (aka Farm) cat also very effective if you can find one..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Before I set them I bury them, some gloves and the trowel in the earth for a week to get them nice & earthy smelling

That’s why you want Talpex traps – once the trap is in just fill the with soil. Trap goes through the soil and nails the mole, the springs are so strong I need to use two hands to open the trap. Nothing better IMO.

Pigface
    Free Member

Put a lot of Iron Sulphate down, it acidifies the soil, and stops the worms. Then no moles.

Genius 😆 you won’t have much of a lawn left after that regime.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Moles – how to get rid of then?’ is closed to new replies.