Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mixing antifreeze…
  • spooky_b329

My vans antifreeze is quite weak due to a slow leak I can’t find. (leaks onto floor so its not a gasket issue) Don’t want to do a full flush until I’ve found the leak, van has pink stuff in there at the moment, which I believe is 5yr stuff. Bottle in shed is blue (3yr stuff?) which is redundant now as I would want to use the pink stuff in the current car.

Can I top up and mix the two? Also, is there any types of antifreeze that aren’t compatible with each other? My van is an Iveco and takes heavy truck engine oil which is normally only used in HGV’s, but is all antifreeze the same? I have a workshop manual that gives all the details but haven’t been able to find it!

RustyMac

I have told by the guys at work you should not mix the coulors of anti freeze, they use different chemicals that do not mix well together. Get a small 1 litere bottle of concentrate pink anti freeze and mix it no greater than 50-50 with water to add to your system

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I hear it goes quite well with Vodka. Make sure you use the stuff without Bittrex in it’s sole purpose is to make you vomit instantly.

cp

as rusty mac, my understanding is not to mix the colours, as the chemicals can react – not sure whether the result is lack of anti-freezing or increased corrosion or blocking, but best not to mix.

cp

here you go, quote taken from the blucol website:-

Green antifreeze does not mix with long life antifreeze. Never mix the two colours in a cooling system. The organic acids in orange types will cause precipitation of silicates in the green type and corrosion protection is greatly reduced.

http://www.bluecol.co.uk/index.cfm?page=75

Macavity
    Free Member

“slow leak”
    could be water pump about to give up.
    But try some Radseal or similar.

spooky_b329

Thanks guys 🙂

Seems only to drip when hot, suspect radiator but can’t confirm it, but undertray of engine gets splashed. Now its winter it hasn’t needed topping up for ages so it can wait til warmer whether arrives 🙂

Will top up with the pink stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mixing antifreeze…’ is closed to new replies.